Would you live with wolves if you had a chance to?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Would you live with wolves if you had a chance to?

Post by La Striata » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:57 am

Radioactive Rabbit wrote:There are many rumors of children being raised by wild wolves, along with paintings. If you show the correct body language, it is possible. You can speak a language without words, as long as you submit to an alpha male and female. Do not treat them as your pets. They are wild. Don't beg for food, you'd have to find your own. Don't ever be caught with blood or meat, as an omega will definitely overpower you if he took a jump for it. And if you fought another wolf that the alpha cares for, say a pup, Then you're over.

Do NOT attempt this. I'm only saying it's possible. So if wolves had a comfortable shelter to stay in, then yes. I would, if I was stranded or something.
You may want to check this thread out:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75572

The notion of a wolf pack being a hierarchical society lead by alphas is inaccurate.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Howl all wolfs
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Howl all wolfs » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:17 pm

YES!!!!! I got a poem too.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
You are a wolf[/color
And I am one too
Howl

Radioactive Rabbit
Pup
Pup

Post by Radioactive Rabbit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:26 pm

La Striata wrote:
Radioactive Rabbit wrote:There are many rumors of children being raised by wild wolves, along with paintings. If you show the correct body language, it is possible. You can speak a language without words, as long as you submit to an alpha male and female. Do not treat them as your pets. They are wild. Don't beg for food, you'd have to find your own. Don't ever be caught with blood or meat, as an omega will definitely overpower you if he took a jump for it. And if you fought another wolf that the alpha cares for, say a pup, Then you're over.

Do NOT attempt this. I'm only saying it's possible. So if wolves had a comfortable shelter to stay in, then yes. I would, if I was stranded or something.

The notion of a wolf pack being a hierarchical society lead by alphas is inaccurate.

The hierarchy of a wolf pack is very much alike from human families. Packs consist of the parents and the pups, Alphas simply stated as the parents. Say you came into some stranger's house and started acting like the boss. What would happen? They'd kick you out or worse. By "Submit to the alpha male and female" I am merely saying that you should not challenge such a wolf when in the company of so. If you were to live with wolves you would have to follow by their rule, as if you were their child. Basically what that article states is that Alphas did not fight their way to the top, and I agree with that. But you shouldn't disrespect an animal that is much more powerful than you. Would you punch your old man? And by "don't beg for food" I mean like this. You are a completely different species, and especially one they can eat.
ϟ.......β Θ ЛЄ.......ϟ
°

This is the way the world ends.
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
Wє cαη'т ємвяαcє тнє ѕιєηcє.
Danny, Proud Misko of B O N E

° °
Sig (c) Emberflare/Av (c) Action Bat

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Radioactive Rabbit wrote:
La Striata wrote:

The hierarchy of a wolf pack is very much alike from human families. Packs consist of the parents and the pups, Alphas simply stated as the parents. Say you came into some stranger's house and started acting like the boss. What would happen? They'd kick you out or worse. By "Submit to the alpha male and female" I am merely saying that you should not challenge such a wolf when in the company of so. If you were to live with wolves you would have to follow by their rule, as if you were their child. Basically what that article states is that Alphas did not fight their way to the top, and I agree with that. But you shouldn't disrespect an animal that is much more powerful than you. Would you punch your old man? And by "don't beg for food" I mean like this. You are a completely different species, and especially one they can eat.
But there's really no need to use the term "alpha," though. If you can acknowledge them as parents, then there's no need to specifically refer to them as "alphas." Your initial claim suggests a strict hierarchy, which is inaccurate and is why La Striata provided that link. It may help you if you try not to humanize wolves -- wolves are still very different from humans, and do not think or act like humans.
"Alpha" connotes top ranking in some kind of hierarchy, so an alpha wolf is by definition the top-ranking wolf. Because among wolves in captivity the hierarchies are gender-based, there are an alpha male and an alpha female (Schenkel 1947).

The way in which alpha status has been viewed historically can be seen in studies in which an attempt is made to distinguish future alphas in litters of captive wolf pups. For example, it was hypothesized that "the emotional reactivity of the dominant cub, the potential alpha animal (emphasis mine) of the pack, might be measurably different from the subordinate individuals," and that "it might then be possible to pick out the temperament characteristics or emotional reactivity of potential alpha or leader wolves (emphasis mine), and of subordinates" (Fox 1971b, p.299). Furthermore, "Under normal field conditions, it seems improbable that timid, low ranking wolves would breed" (Fox 1971a, p.307). This view implies that rank is innate or formed early, and that some wolves are destined to rule the pack, while others are not.

Contrary to this view, I propose that all young wolves are potential breeders and that when they do breed they automatically become alphas (Mech 1970). Even in captive packs, individuals gain or lose alpha status (Zimen 1976), so individual wolves do not have an inherent permanent social status, even though captive pups show physiological and behavioral differences related to current social rank (Fox 1971b; Fox and Andrews 1973). Secondly, wolves in captivity breed readily, and I know of no mature captive individuals that failed to breed when paired apart from a group, as would be the case if there were inherently low-ranking, nonbreeders . . . Labeling a high-ranking wolf alpha emphasizes its rank in a dominance hierarchy. However, in natural wolf packs, the alpha male or female are merely the breeding animals, the parents of the pack, and dominance contests with other wolves are rare, if they exist at all. During my 13 summers observing the Ellesmere Island pack, I saw none.

Thus, calling a wolf an alpha is usually no more appropriate than referring to a human parent or a doe deer as an alpha. Any parent is dominant to its young offspring, so "alpha" adds no information. Why not refer to an alpha female as the female parent, the breeding female, the matriarch, or simply the mother? Such a designation emphasizes not the animal's dominant status, which is trivial information, but its role as pack progenitor, which is critical information.
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/mamm ... /alpst.htm

In regards to your statement about the possibility of "being raised by wolves," rumors are rumors and I personally wouldn't use a rumor to justify the false ease of living with an entirely separate species. This has been brought up on this forum multiple times. While anecdotal "evidence" exists, such "evidence" is not the same as concrete data relating to the matter and is therefore not wholly reliable. There have been rumors indeed, but they've either proven to be unreliable due to the source's reputation or have gone on unproved. Understand that there is a difference between a rumor and an actual, legitimate and well-documented event or experiment. I was digging through the forum's archives and found this thread which seems to cover the topic adequately, and, to my knowledge, there hasn't been any proven "raised by wolves" stories since.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41873

With all of that being said, I certainly wouldn't want to live with wolves even if I had the chance. Unlike how some have made it out to be, I do not think it would be easy nor practical. I am personally content with my own diet, as well, and am not willing to convert to such a diet.

Blakwolf13
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Blakwolf13 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:12 pm

I would LOVE to live with Wolves! Seeing how they live, becoming one of them as a human, living like them etc. I once played this Nancy Drew game called The wolf at icicle creek or something. That's my favorite Nancy Drew game out of all the series because it had a wolf in it! It showed like how Nancy Drew got stuck in a avalanche and a wild wolf came and saved her for some weird reason and actually didn't eat her, and how she saw the wolf's footprints so she followed them to a small hut where a woman or man actually wrote a diary about his/her experience with the wolf and how he/she trained the wolf to do certain commands! It was really interesting to see that in the game and made me think sometimes wolves do things for or because of certain reasons. Even though it's probably impossible to train a wild wolf like the one in the game. I've never actually seen a wolf in real life but I hope someday I will, either that be in a sanctuary or zoo or out in the wild. And I know i'm getting really off topic but I sometimes hate living in Australia because there's no wolves at all in the zoos or in the wild down here! So my dream is to actually meet a wolf or wolves and maybe spend some time with them, and if it was possible, maybe live with them for a while! But the living with them part will probably never happen... :( :|
Spirit of the wolf
You who wanders in the wild lands
You who stalks in silent shadows
You who runs and leaps
Between the moss covered trees
Lend me your primal strength
And the wisdom of your glowing eyes

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:20 am

No, probably not. Not out in the wild, anyways. I like having my head attached to my body, thankyouverymuch.
I might work at a shelter for captive wolves, where I would be a caretaker (with proper training, of course).
Although... I wouldn't mind BEING a wolf... <3
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:54 pm

• One of my professors grew up on a farm near a woodlot that housed a wolf pack. He said he would climb up into the trees and observe them. To me, THAT is an awesome way to coexist with wolves! Observing and learning, but not interfering.

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:27 am

I would not want to live among them, however I would like to observe them from close-by. If I could have a cabin in the wilderness somewhere in Alaska or Canada I'd probably do that in a heartbeat.

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:50 pm

If I lived on a wolf sanctuary, yes. If I had to live in the wild with wild wolves and wolf packs, no. I'll be seen as a threat, as I am a human, and a wolf is a wild animal. Wolves wouldn't have any business to do with me, so I'd be sitting in the woods alone pathetically. There's a higher chance that I'll skip two grades than there is me having a chance at living with wolves.

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

wolfpackof1
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolfpackof1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Yes, it give me the chance to see how there life is in the real world beside the game.!

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:39 pm

CaffeineCollie wrote:I would not want to live among them, however I would like to observe them from close-by. If I could have a cabin in the wilderness somewhere in Alaska or Canada I'd probably do that in a heartbeat.
I agree. I'd much rather be observing than actually living with them
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

av/sig: alethe

the great escape
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by the great escape » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:29 pm

that would be awesome

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:37 am

sosolo wrote:Yes I would because I love wolves and they are very good protecters
they'd probably run away or attack.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

FoxyWolfy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by FoxyWolfy » Sun May 17, 2015 10:16 am

I would probably just watch them from a distance and follow them as they move. (You can do that in Yellowstone National Park I think.)
ғσxүкιηs
´*•.¸ тнε cυтεsт ℓιттℓε¸.•*´
gσσғ
σғ
´*•.¸ρσσғεү¸.•*´
ғσσғs
Signature/Av©By:SinnedAshes/wolfwhisp

Newbie-Teacher Program
Great Travelers Pack

Spookykitty
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Spookykitty » Fri May 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Probably not. They're really cute and fluffy and all, but I'd maybe say hi, then leave. I love wolves, but I'd rather live with something less likely to eat me :lol: