Wolf kills off-leash dog in Duluth, MN

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Wolf kills off-leash dog in Duluth, MN

Post by Koa » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:46 pm

A hungry wolf roamed into Duluth on Tuesday and killed a family’s dog that its owner had taken on a walk along a popular trail.

A state conservation officer said that such an attack is rare, but that it is becoming more common because the deer population is not as plentiful in rural areas of northeastern Minnesota, leading wolves to prowl for food in more urban surroundings.
Read the full article here:
http://www.startribune.com/hungry-wolf- ... 368323061/
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Re: Wolf kills off-leash dog in Duluth, MN

Post by Kamaal » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:27 pm

That's sort of sad, but if you consider the whole situation, the wolf had a point to kill.
Thank you for posting this Koa.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:06 am

Kamaal wrote:That's sort of sad, but if you consider the whole situation, the wolf had a point to kill.
Yeah, I agree with that.
I think the owner should have kept the dog on the leash if that would have helped in protecting the animal. But of course they probably couldn't have known such a thing would happen, and actually it's not certain if that would actually help at all in protecting the dog... so I do not blame the owner.
. - Jeames - .

For the last time,
I am a STICK okay?!?!
Oh and I own Paradiigm.
Now I must go annoy Dom.
sig/av ↝ Paradiigm/noir_187

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Post by twinlinskis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Leo, an 11-year-old golden retriever-corgi mix, was not on a leash and was about 15 to 20 yards from its owner on a short trail near Brighton Beach when the wolf pounced about noon [...]

The dog’s owner, Terry Irvin, of Duluth, said he didn’t see the attack.

[...]

“I got a little ahead of him, and I was waiting for him. And then I waited and waited, maybe five-six minutes, and called and whistled.”

i'm honestly a bit annoyed that this owner was irresponsible. granted, we'll never know if the wolf would have attacked poor leo had he been leashed, but to walk so far ahead of your dog that you're unable to hear the scrap that the two canines likely got into before the dog's death? that's reckless and thoughtless. it's mentioned that he didn't see the attack, but you can hear quite a lot in the woods; sounds carry, and a screaming dog or a desperate wolf can definitely be heard if he wasn't that far away.

i'm not trying to take away from his pain and say that he's a terrible owner, but i do feel as if he was rash in his decision to walk leo unleashed in the woods. sure, he's walked the trail plenty of times, but nature and the wild animals within are unpredictable in their behavior.
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
............ ............
sig © twinlinskis

Airamyst
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Airamyst » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Semper Solus wrote:
Kamaal wrote:That's sort of sad, but if you consider the whole situation, the wolf had a point to kill.
Yeah, I agree with that.
I think the owner should have kept the dog on the leash if that would have helped in protecting the animal. But of course they probably couldn't have known such a thing would happen, and actually it's not certain if that would actually help at all in protecting the dog... so I do not blame the owner.
I would have to agree with all this. Sounds kinda like a bad decision on the owners part but eh...

ʙʀɪɴɢ ʙ

''You either run from things, or you face them, Mr. White.''
''And what exactly does that mean?''
''I learned it in rehab. It's all about accepting who you really are. I accept who I am.''
"And who are you?"
ϟ "I'm the bad guy." ϟ
- Jesse and Walter
Av/Sig © Jeames/Lupa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:33 am

I think the context of the location carries even more weight. Minnesota has a huge wolf population; the owner should have been aware of that. This is not the first dog to be killed and certainly won't be the last. Owners still need to be cognizant of their surroundings, particularly in the context of where they live.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:37 am

Agreed on that, they should be more aware of the situation, but you cannot just simply open their heads and plant the reasonable info in...
But still, there's nothing that can be done. If the owner was more careful and responsible this dog could be alive at this very moment. I just hope that people will realize that and act accordingly....
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:59 am

Ah man, irresponsible pet owners nettle me to no end. If you are going to walk your dog in an area notorious for its predator population, keep an eye on it, especially if you are required by law to keep it on a leash. Something like this cannot be that difficult to prevent. Let's just hope it sets an example to similar lax owners.
wyrd bið ful aræd
* inactive until further notice due to time and hardware limitations

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Kamaal wrote:Agreed on that, they should be more aware of the situation, but you cannot just simply open their heads and plant the reasonable info in...
But still, there's nothing that can be done. If the owner was more careful and responsible this dog could be alive at this very moment. I just hope that people will realize that and act accordingly....
Sure-- you cannot force people to listen. If you are responsible, however, you will-- or should, in this case.
Anduril wrote:Ah man, irresponsible pet owners nettle me to no end. If you are going to walk your dog in an area notorious for its predator population, keep an eye on it, especially if you are required by law to keep it on a leash. Something like this cannot be that difficult to prevent. Let's just hope it sets an example to similar lax owners.
Agreed.

LakotaTheOmega
Pup
Pup

Post by LakotaTheOmega » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:07 am

This was 100% the owner's fault imo.
M07PgE43Kk41NSRLI0cqQUo1JTVKWio3DQoNC

kIzR09OQCM3KiNPWSo3WSpaKjVKPc+AKk9A

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”