Moderators: Isela, Koa

roadrunnerrissy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Alpha Female 903 of the San Mateo

Post by roadrunnerrissy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:17 pm

Current Events in the
Blue Range Wolf Recovery Area

Alpha Female 903 of the San Mateo pack successfully maintained her alpha status for 11 years (that's about 4 years longer than the average wild wolf life span)

* for more info , click on the link below.*
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/mexicanwolf/CEBRWRA.cfm
" Don´t be afraid
Don´t let hope, faith keep your eyes fixed on the light above
In the heartbreak, in your mistakes, nothing can separate you from love, You are Beloved."

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Alpha Female 903 of the San Mateo

Post by Noctis_ » Wed May 04, 2016 1:32 am

It's a bit surprising that nobody else has commented on this already, but wolf packs aren't divided into hierarchal 'ranks', contrary to popular belief. Using terms like 'Alpha' to describe individuals has been proven to be inaccurate and misleading. Wolf packs are organized as the WQ game depicts them: a breeding pair (the parents), and their offspring. When offspring mature, they leave and start their own pack, a lot like human families. Assigned ranks, and fighting to achieve a higher rank/breeding rights, does not exist. Generally, all of the wolves in packs are related.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:06 am

LunaWolf2468 wrote:It's a bit surprising that nobody else has commented on this already, but wolf packs aren't divided into hierarchal 'ranks', contrary to popular belief. Using terms like 'Alpha' to describe individuals has been proven to be inaccurate and misleading. Wolf packs are organized as the WQ game depicts them: a breeding pair (the parents), and their offspring. When offspring mature, they leave and start their own pack, a lot like human families. Assigned ranks, and fighting to achieve a higher rank/breeding rights, does not exist. Generally, all of the wolves in packs are related.
Here is a great explanation by wolf scientist L. David Mech about the history of the term "alpha" and its current usage.

By Mech's definition, using the term alpha in a mixed group of adult wolves, as in WQ multiplayer games, would be acceptable. Do keep in mind, mixed groups of unrelated adults are very rare, if not nonexistent, in the wild. As LunaWolf2468 says, almost all wild packs are family groups of a breeding pair and their offspring.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:31 am

Ever-green wrote:
  • Thanks for commenting Pepper. I think that's an important distinction to make because general attitudes on this website have jumped to the other extreme. Use of the term alpha at all has been frowned upon to the point where users could not have usernames with those words until very recently. The intent was well, but the strategy has its downsides.

To say that alpha can be used to describe a situation other than a captive one is helpful and important towards clarifying what exactly the term means. I'm really glad I saw your post and I hope others will too!
Thanks, Ever-green! I thought Mech's video was very interesting in how it addresses evolving terms and ways of thinking about wolves as we learn more. I agree that there needs to be a balance of fun and accuracy in WQ gaming. As I spend a lot of time managing the abuse reports, I see firsthand how players can get bogged down in "rank" and squabbling over who is "alpha" even though this is not part of the game's functionality. I think the majority of players play cooperatively without ranks but for some having agreed upon ranks decided in chat enhances their enjoyment.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:25 am

I do agree that there should be a balance~ roleplaying with ranks, although they aren't realistic, is often more fun. I, personally, prefer using a ranking system when in multiplayer games myself. But, at the same time, I fully realize that how I'm roleplaying is not at all realistic. I see so many people on the game who believe and will argue avidly that strict ranks and fighting for breeding rights is how all wolf packs are structured and, in the words of one player, "very important in a wolf's life". Another person once commented that WQ was inaccurate and incorrect in depicting wolf packs as family units, despite WQ being designed to educate people about wolves and being produced by highly credible sources. The idea of the 'Alpha and Omega' is used everywhere-- books, TV shows, movies, games. Every single wolf documentary I've ever watched promotes wolf packs as 'strict hierarchal structures', with wolves constantly brawling to climb up in the ranks and take their place as 'Alpha'.

I'm not against using ranks as a fantasy element to enhance gameplay (the ranking system offers more plot complexity and drama), but I am against them being used to spread misinformation about real wolves.
I've thought about this for awhile, and am considering suggesting this for future WQ updates-- What if more information were to be added in the beginning text blurbs you see just as you're entering multiplayer games? Perhaps a short explanation of the ranking myth could be added there, and why it isn't realistic and wouldn't happen/be practical for real wolf packs. Perhaps a few links to websites or sections of the WQ website could be added as well for players to go to and read if they want more information. This way, players could still choose to roleplay how they like, but be aware and educated.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:00 am

Looks like the conversation here has gotten derailed from the article that was posted to talk about realism in WQ roleplays when it comes to ranks. While it is an interesting topic to discuss, it is off-topic for this thread seeing as the thread is about a real wolf and not WolfQuest or ranks in roleplays. Let's try stick to the original topic at hand and to move the current off-topic conversation over to a more suitable thread, such as this thread regarding realistic vs unrealistic roleplays. Additionally, if you have suggestions for the game, those can be posted here.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”