Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Researchers use thermal imaging to study wolves with mange

Post by Koa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Mange changes Yellowstone wolves’ hunting, travel and food needs

By Brett Finch, Star Tribune
April 3rd

During Yellowstone National Park’s frigid winters, small mites can have a big effect on the wolves they invade, altering the times they hunt, how many calories they need to consume and how far they travel.
Read the full article (and see a photo of a wolf with mange) here:
http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional ... 365ed.html

According to the article, the wolves that have mange will travel less; some will avoid going out at night entirely. It makes sense that wolves are losing heat when they are afflicted with mange, but I didn't consider the effects that mange would have specifically on travel. Very interesting!
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Re: Researchers use thermal imaging to study wolves with man

Post by Kamaal » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Wow really interesting article you found there Koa, thanks for sharing!!
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:36 am

I have to agree, that is pretty interesting! Using thermal imaging doesn't seem like something you'd think of right away as a useful technique for this, but seeing it used in those pictures sure makes a lot of sense.
freelance artist/illustrator // biology student and wildlife enthusiast // sometimes i draw things for WQ

[instagram] [facebook] [twitter] [prints]
[click here to tell me what to draw]

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:29 am

Very cool article! I long time ago I saw a show (I think it was an episode of Nature) where they were also using thermal cameras on wolves. They, however, didn't go into detail about manage's costs other than energy loss. It's really interesting to see how it is modifying behavior and travel patterns. I wonder, assuming that most of a pack had this modified behavior, if they would become socially isolated from other wolves and have a difficult time maintaining territory or breeding with outside individuals.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Lobo Laughing wrote:Very cool article! I long time ago I saw a show (I think it was an episode of Nature) where they were also using thermal cameras on wolves. They, however, didn't go into detail about manage's costs other than energy loss. It's really interesting to see how it is modifying behavior and travel patterns. I wonder, assuming that most of a pack had this modified behavior, if they would become socially isolated from other wolves and have a difficult time maintaining territory or breeding with outside individuals.
Interesting! I will need to track that down then to see the thermal imaging.

That's a curious proposition. If the pack's affliction with mange was severe enough, I would assume it would be rather difficult for them to at least maintain territory, since other, opposing packs might take advantage of their weakened state.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:55 pm

After a little searching I'm 90% sure this episode, In the Valley of the Wolves, was where I saw that. I can't be sure though because it looks like they took down the streaming version so I can't re-watch it. It might be on YouTube.
Koa wrote:That's a curious proposition. If the pack's affliction with mange was severe enough, I would assume it would be rather difficult for them to at least maintain territory, since other, opposing packs might take advantage of their weakened state.
That's very true. Wasn't it a factor in the break up of the Druid pack? Although that of course also presents a danger to the attacking pack, since physical contact in fights would spread the mange.

I was also thinking more along the lines of social skills. For example, it might be possible for a litter of pups to be raised by adults with this altered behavior and for them learn to be active at abnormal times of day. Or perhaps their instincts might override the actions of their parents... it would make an interesting study.

Anyway, great article and thanks for posting. xD

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

LakotaTheOmega
Pup
Pup