Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Dog "expert" to co-exist alongside wolves with own dogs

Post by Koa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:46 pm

I’m not 'nuts,' says dog expert taking pets to live with wild wolves
CTV NEWS - VANCOUVER ISLAND
July 4th

Ken Griffiths is an animal behaviourist who, along with his three dogs, Jack, Malina and Jake, will be spending the next two months cohabitating with wolves on the remote northern tip of the island.

His goal: To show people that encounters with the wild animals can be peaceful, and not dangerous like most might believe.

. . . One of those questioning the plan is University of Victoria conservation scientist Dr. Chris Darimont, who said while he appreciates Griffiths’ intentions, there’s a high risk his dogs will be attacked.

“Wolves perceive dogs as other wolves intruding on their territory, even if the dogs look nothing like wolves. The dogs are frequently attacked and often killed, even when accompanied by their human companions,” Darimont said.
Read the full article here at CTV NEWS - Vancouver: http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/i-m-n ... -1.2972900
(Video and details on his GoFundMe campaign to support his new, happy life alongside wolves also included.)

The sequel to this headline: GoFundMe campaign to support man's joint co-habitation venture with wolves and his dogs fails
And the next: Man disappears in north Vancouver after attempting to live alongside wolves with his dogs despite failed GoFundMe campaign, common sense
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Re: Dog "expert" to co-exist alongside wolves with own dogs

Post by Uzumaaki » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:21 pm

...sheesh
does the gofundme link still work for anyone? i'm getting a "this campaign no longer exists"
kinda surprised the guy raised almost $300 in the first place tho:S
av by theinfinite

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Vakarian wrote:...sheesh
does the gofundme link still work for anyone? i'm getting a "this campaign no longer exists"
kinda surprised the guy raised almost $300 in the first place tho:S
Not sure how GFM works, but I hope that doesn't mean he reached his fund goal.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Griffiths said many have called him “nuts” for putting himself and his pets in possible harm’s way, “but normal’s boring, you know?”
Ah yes, allowing you and your pets to live in safety is so boring. Why not put your life and the life of your dogs in danger?
tbh it'd be one thing if he was doing this on his own, but bringing his dogs with him? That... that makes it really different for me. I don't really know how to explain it, but it just seems so much worse to me to not only be endangering your life but the life of your pets as well because "normal's boring".
“They’re well-balanced animals, they’re not these vicious killers like Red Riding Hood puts them out to be,” he said. “I think that’s all done for hunters and people who want to get rid of them.”
lmao ok. Just because an animal isn't a "vicious" killer that targets anything and everything doesn't mean that it's just gonna sit around and let you do whatever you want. Especially if you're bringing dogs into their territory as well.

I'm getting the same "this campaign no longer exists" error. I'm not too familiar with gofundme either, but if you switch over to the "popular" tab, there are quite a few that have met their goal and are still up. And, if you click on
this one for example it tells you that they're no longer accepting donations, but it's still listed and hasn't been removed. Considering that, I would assume that our "dog expert" friend here either took the campaign down himself or it was taken down by the site and that he didn't raise the money. I hope. Not sure if completed campaigns stick around or if they get removed at some point, depending on how much money he was trying to get it isn't impossible for him to have gotten it by now.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Dog expert and wolf expert are very different things. This man needs to realize that wolves aren't furry dogs and they will gladly maul those poor dogs of his.

...I wonder if it was taken down because of 'animal endangerment' or something along those lines, or perhaps the guy realized how silly he was being.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:50 am

The article CTV Vancouver published "Province hits 'paws' on dog expert's plan to live with wolves" on July 6th might explain things. It looks like Mr. Griffiths' plans were halted once conservation officers and the Ministry of Forest talked to him after the original article was published and the story aired because he lacked the necessary permits. They, however, "do not have a problem with what [Griffiths] wanted to do."

Given the information that the article has presented, I'm assuming Mr. Griffiths ended his GoFundMe campaign after his conversation with officers and the Ministry.

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”