Labrador wolves relocated after dog attacks

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Labrador wolves relocated after dog attacks

Post by Sambhur » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:51 am

HAPPY VALLEY-GOOSE BAY, N.L. -- Labrador residents in Happy Valley-Goose Bay are being urged to keep a close eye on their dogs after three wolves were relocated following two recent attacks.

Officials with the Forestry and Environment departments say the wolves were moved to a remote area about 130 kilometres from the community.

Two were fitted with GPS collars for monitoring but officials say the wolves aren't used to people and won't likely return.

They say such relocations are rare, but any aggressive wolf should be reported to the forestry department.

Pet owners in the region -- especially those living near woods -- are being told to limit the time their dogs spend outside and to supervise them.

Anyone who sees a wolf is advised to stay calm, back away slowly and never run.
Article source: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/labrador-w ... -1.3095994

The word "relocated" really took me by surprise in this article - didn't expect that to be honest.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Labrador wolves relocated after dog attacks

Post by Koa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:49 pm

"Happy Valley-Goose Bay"... sounds like a nice place, and, if anything, just sounds like the place where wolves might have a chance at relocation, if they were to be relocated at all. Thanks for sharing.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Labrador wolves relocated after dog attacks

Post by paperpaws » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:53 am

I was very confused about the "Labrador wolves" part -- I don't know what I was expecting.

Quite nice to see these wolves are given another chance (if you will) by being relocated. Let's hope they won't cause any more trouble, heh.

The place name made me laugh as well...