Grey/Dire wolf hybrids!

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Grey/Dire wolf hybrids!

Post by La Striata » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:13 am

66-5 Friday, Jan. 6 14:30 - 14:45 Identity of Ice Age Idaho wolves MEACHEN, JA*; BITTERMAN, KM; THOMPSON, ME; BRANNICK, AL; Des Moines University; Des Moines University; Idaho Museum of Natural History; University of Washington julie.meachen@dmu.edu

Beringian wolves are an extinct group of Pleistocene-aged wolves from Alaska that specialized in hunting ice age megafauna. They were morphologically and genetically distinct from grey wolf (Canis lupus) and morphologically distinct from dire wolf (Canis dirus). The recent discovery of Beringian wolves at the late Pleistocene fossil site of Natural Trap Cave (NTC) in northern Wyoming marks the first record of this type of wolf in the contiguous U.S. Their migration followed an ice-free corridor from Alaska to Wyoming before the last glacial maximum, begging the question: Did Beringian wolves make it elsewhere in the contiguous U.S.? We collected 2D geometric morphometric data from photos of wolf mandibles from Alaska and WY-NTC (Beringian wolves), Rancho La Brea (RLB) in southern California (dire wolves), Idaho (purported dire wolves), and extant grey wolves from northwestern North America. We analyzed these images using 16 landmarks in tpsDig2. PCA and CVA analyses were run in PCAgen and CVAgen programs, and ANOVA was run on the PC scores to compare groups. Results show that the Idaho wolves are indistinguishable from NTC Beringian wolves and RLB dire wolves on PC1 and that they group with RLB dire wolves on PC2. In size, Idaho wolves group solidly with NTC Beringian wolves, and are significantly smaller than dire wolves. These findings suggest that the Idaho wolves are not the same species as is found at Rancho La Brea and that there was some hybridization between dire wolves and Beringian wolves in southern Idaho. Hybridization between modern canids is a common occurrence and our results would suggest that canid hybridization also occurred in the Pleistocene. The next step is to examine ancient DNA to assess whether the morphology concurs with the genetics of these ancient wolves.

http://www.sicb.org/meetings/2017/sched ... hp?id=1140
My prediction? Soon we'll be calling the dire wolf Canis lupus dirus.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Elliott

Re: Grey/Dire wolf hybrids!

Post by 7KodaWolf7 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Interesting article! I love the way science works.
They/them only, please!
⤐ "Is not the balance of our world the concern of all?"
~ Nava, Balto II: Wolf Quest

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Grey/Dire wolf hybrids!

Post by Koa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks for sharing, La Striata. I'll be on the lookout for more informatiom and news about this.