The "Big Bad Wolf" is a myth

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

timber wolf4321
Pup
Pup

The "Big Bad Wolf" is a myth

Post by timber wolf4321 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:21 am

As you know,most people from young ages get told that wolves are evil.So most of them when they grow up get scared and hunt them.I'm encouraging you to educate people about wolves.And if you grow up and have kids,don't read them "Three Little pigs,Little red ridinghood,the boy who cried wolf etc"If you do,just tell them its not real.SAVE THE WOLVES!!!!!!!!!
/\............./\
....0.......0...|
..................|
.....UUU.......|
-------------

Happy kitty cat!

Avvie made by awesome photographer that posted it on airliners net.

Kavikfan
Pup
Pup
Location: In a world that dosen't exist.......a world of "myths" such as vampires and werewolves....

Re: The "Big Bad Wolf" is a myth

Post by Kavikfan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 am

I agree with you. I think "The Big Bad Wolf" myth got around probably because they killed livestock and sometimes attacked people. Like my, I think, Great-Grandma, she was attacked by a wolf. But I think my dad said that she lived in the country, maybe up north. When he told me that story, I said " Wolves wouldn't attack people for no reason, so she probably was living in a wolf territory, and the wolf didn't like that. So he/she fought back." I also made a poster the other day, it had a gray wolf crying and saying "Save me." And below it it said "Please conserve the wolves!"
Hundt is powerful
He may overcome you
His yellow-eyed glare
Will give you nightmares
His dagger-like teeth
Will kill any enemy easily
His heart full of care
Will take watch over any pup in need.

Kikai
Pup
Pup
Location: In your dreams prowling around look out and around Im there without a sound!

Post by Kikai » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 am

Nice idea! I mean I guess some people don't think of that when they are telling you these stories, I mean I understand if you are afraid because they may hurt you but if probably never occurred to them that you aren't really gonna see one unless wildlife things and such! But if anyone does read this please when you grow up MAKE A DIFFERENCE! HELP OUR WOLVES!
I walk unsure
I live unprotected
I don't know what's next
I have the life
of being a wolf
But sometimes I do not make it out
without a few scratches
But that is the journey that soon begins it all

cutest avvie ever made by Fidd

timber wolf4321
Pup
Pup

Post by timber wolf4321 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:50 am

Wolves....there not deadly cruel killers but they can be dangerous.Last night I had a dream that I was petting a wolf but the wolf....took a bite out of me.(i forgive you wolf)I do agree that this "big bad wolf"thing has to stop.I like Disney but they portray wolves as evil. :cry: HELP SAVE THE WOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/\............./\
....0.......0...|
..................|
.....UUU.......|
-------------

Happy kitty cat!

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Wolves don't need to be saved. The reason they're being hunted now is population control. Although,yes,some people are afraid of them and think they attack for no reason.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:50 pm

umm..wolves, like any wild animal did/ do attack people when provoked or perhaps when they have rabies. So I wouldn`t dismiss Grandma`s story as being a bit irrational.

wolves were hunted because of misinterpretations and fear based myths. Little red Riding Hood is not so much about wolves being evil as it is about predatory men preying upon young children. Many stories and biblical stories speak about wolves, but it was kind of like the Jaws thing...people took it way too seriously and eliminated wolves. but it was also due to other reaons instead of just children`s stories, of course.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Kikai
Pup
Pup
Location: In your dreams prowling around look out and around Im there without a sound!

Post by Kikai » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:58 pm

actually, some stories is not why they do hunt, hunters hunt for a hobby, the pride of shooting an animal, so yes we actually should save them! With more hunters there concludes to less wolves. So technically by doing this, saving some wolves and their extinction should be done!
I walk unsure
I live unprotected
I don't know what's next
I have the life
of being a wolf
But sometimes I do not make it out
without a few scratches
But that is the journey that soon begins it all

cutest avvie ever made by Fidd

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:08 pm

I wouldn`t put life in such terms. Not every hunter is out there for the taste of blood and to maim animals. While not every conservation organization believes that keeping wolves alive is good.

While hunters hunt animals, they are also probably the ones who will speak up for habitat conservation...which wolves need.

Besides, you can always buy a wolf hunting permit yourself. It doesn`t mean you have to use it to hunt a wolf, it just means your stopping other people from, hunting wolves. Like if theres 500 permits issued, and 300 non hunters get them, then it means 300 people who were actually going to hunt wolves can`t.

anyways, this is off topic. lets get back on track.
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 pm

My first message is, WHEN YOU TYPE IN CAPS AND BIG FONT, IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK IMMATURE AND IT'S REALLY ANNOYING. Thank you.

Your opinion on the wolf, is just that, an opinion. Wolves have in the past killed many people, and still do. They have eaten people, and in India are very well known for lifting children from villages. That is not myth, that is a documented fact.

Wolves are special, like every life is. Why you may not believe in hunting, that is your opinion. But wolves as a whole are not going extinct. Some species are endangered, but the ones that are mostly have federal protection.

What of the other animals that aren't as 'noble' or 'majestic' as the wolf? They are still hunted, but no one speaks for them. We place our values on what we believe is beautiful, and by doing so, thus make hypocrites of ourselves.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:04 pm

*applauds Songdog*

anyways....the stories of tht three little pigs, seven goats, bla bla bla, I think are about teaching children morals and lessons. Like don`t trust random strangers, don`t be naive, don`t eat grandma etc.

but yes, many people were burned at the stake in the mediveil period simply because they were deemed were wolves...most likely those indvduals suffered from some kind of mental/ pshyical hand-capped that could not be explained at the time.

timber wolf4321
Pup
Pup

Post by timber wolf4321 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:28 am

I agree with you all...But my one of the guys in my school ,he said that wolves wag there tail because there bloodthirsty.And he said that if you see a wolf the chance of it killing you were 250%,see wolves are dangerous but he is sooo pushing it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
/\............./\
....0.......0...|
..................|
.....UUU.......|
-------------

Happy kitty cat!

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 pm

timber wolf4321 wrote:I agree with you all...But my one of the guys in my school ,he said that wolves wag there tail because there bloodthirsty.And he said that if you see a wolf the chance of it killing you were 250%,see wolves are dangerous but he is sooo pushing it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Okay, so one guy in your school is an idiot who doesn't know a thing about wolves (or apparently percentages). One guy. That does not equal the whole entire world.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 pm

Songdog wrote:My first message is, WHEN YOU TYPE IN CAPS AND BIG FONT, IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK IMMATURE AND IT'S REALLY ANNOYING. Thank you.

Your opinion on the wolf, is just that, an opinion. Wolves have in the past killed many people, and still do. They have eaten people, and in India are very well known for lifting children from villages. That is not myth, that is a documented fact.

Wolves are special, like every life is. Why you may not believe in hunting, that is your opinion. But wolves as a whole are not going extinct. Some species are endangered, but the ones that are mostly have federal protection.

What of the other animals that aren't as 'noble' or 'majestic' as the wolf? They are still hunted, but no one speaks for them. We place our values on what we believe is beautiful, and by doing so, thus make hypocrites of ourselves.

Well said,Songdog. Why should we focus on wolves who are in no danger of going extinct(except for some subspecies and the Red Wolf) when other animals such as the South China Tiger and Amur Leopard need our help even more?

On the subject of wolves killing humans,I believe there are no reported attacks in the U.S.,or something like that.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Actually there are a number of reports of attacks, and actually I think one or two killings of US Wolves.

If you want me to find the source I can. I remember reading a couple of articles on it, just have to find them again.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:31 pm

I'd be interested in reading that. Everything I've read here so far say there are none. You don't have to go through the trouble if you don't want to,though.

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”