Woman treed by wolves almost didn't receive helicopter help

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Woman treed by wolves almost didn't receive helicopter help

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 am

Washington state wildlife officials resisted sending copter, sheriff to save woman treed by wolves
By Don Jenkins, July 18, 2018
CAPITAL PRESS

Washington state wildlife managers initially opposed sending a helicopter or a search-and-rescue team to save a woman treed by wolves in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, according to recordings and summaries of emergency calls
Read the full article here:
http://www.dailyastorian.com/Local_News ... -by-wolves

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Re: Woman treed by wolves almost didn't receive helicopter h

Post by Kereudio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:03 pm

I know that WDFW backpedaled and said that requesting the helicopter not be sent was not the right call... but I have to wonder what their thought process behind even trying to not get the helicopter sent was in the first place. I can't imagine anyone was planning to kill the wolves, just scare them off, right? Why would the helicopter pose any sort of risk to them as a federally listed species?
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:48 am

Okumuras wrote:I know that WDFW backpedaled and said that requesting the helicopter not be sent was not the right call... but I have to wonder what their thought process behind even trying to not get the helicopter sent was in the first place. I can't imagine anyone was planning to kill the wolves, just scare them off, right? Why would the helicopter pose any sort of risk to them as a federally listed species?
Yeah, that's something I want to look into. I'm leaning toward that they hesitated because they didn't want to harass the wolves or put them under duress, given that they are a "federally listed species." I don't agree with that line of thinking, especially for wolves.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:39 pm

I don't understand why they hesitated to send the helicopter in the first place. Yeah, wolves are federally listed, but it is not like they were going to be killed, just scared off by the sound of the helicopter. Even if some were accidentally harmed in the process of rescue, a human's life will always take priority over an animal's.

It is ridiculous.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:08 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:a human's life will always take priority over an animal's.
This bit right here is exactly why I'm so baffled and frankly horrified. They were presented with the situation, that a human being was stuck up in a tree because of wildlife, and their response was to try and prevent getting her help as soon as possible? I'd be laughing at the absurdity if it wasn't so sad.
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack