Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Tuscany calls for kangal dogs as 70 sheep fall to wolves

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:34 pm

Tuscany councilor calls for Kangal dogs against wolf attacks
Sept. 20, 2018
HURRIYET DAILY NEWS

An Italian regional councilor has called for using Turkey’s giant Kangal shepherd dogs to protect flocks of sheep from the increasing number of wolves in Tuscany.

Roberto Salvini, a member of the Regional Council of Tuscany and Northern League politician, made the call following the killing of about 70 sheep by wolves, BBC reported on Sept. 20.

The wire fence method against the wolves did not work. The dogs brought in to control and protect the flocks flee when they face predators. We had proposed buying Sivas Kangal dogs in order to deal with such incidents as an awesome preventive measure but our proposal was disregarded,” he said.
Read the full article here:
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tuscan ... cks-137051
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

DaniBeez

Re: Tuscany calls for kangal dogs as 70 sheep fall to wolves

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:29 pm

An Italian regional councilor has called for using Turkey’s giant Kangal shepherd dogs to protect flocks of sheep from the increasing number of wolves in Tuscany.
This sounds like the setting of a new Ginga series, lol!

Jokes aside, I wonder what breed(s) were being used before, and why the original Kangal proposal was disregarded. Perhaps the first set of dogs were easier/cheaper to obtain. I'm not sure what the laws are like for dog fighting in Tuscany, but perhaps there are breed-based restrictions to discourage organized dog fighting or something. I know Kangals are commonly used in other countries for dog fighting.

Regardless, interesting to see this side-effect of protecting a wild predator play out.
_
__

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Tuscany calls for kangal dogs as 70 sheep fall to wolves

Post by Koa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:09 am

DaniBeez wrote:
This sounds like the setting of a new Ginga series, lol!

Jokes aside, I wonder what breed(s) were being used before, and why the original Kangal proposal was disregarded. Perhaps the first set of dogs were easier/cheaper to obtain. I'm not sure what the laws are like for dog fighting in Tuscany, but perhaps there are breed-based restrictions to discourage organized dog fighting or something. I know Kangals are commonly used in other countries for dog fighting.

Regardless, interesting to see this side-effect of protecting a wild predator play out.
Yeah, none of that was clear. You'd probably find this study interesting-- it suggests a mix of guard dog breeds might be better for the protection of sheep.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”