Males attacking Females

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

monkeyuncle6
Pup
Pup

Males attacking Females

Post by monkeyuncle6 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:21 pm

arn`t male wolves not supposed to attack female wolves?
Don't just live in this generation
Do something to be remembered in those to come

MayMay
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Males attacking Females

Post by MayMay » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 pm

I dnt see why they should.
..... (\_/)
(... {, "-;
.)).. /';.\
((_()'_\\,,

@(o.o)@
It's been a long time guys. : D
NG did my avatar.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:26 pm

I would guess that they would attack them if they were intruding on their territorry. I dont see how gender would make a difference.
icon by Rottenrobbie

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Like Blindseer said, I don't think gender would matter that much. If a male is attacking a rival pack, it's not going to spare certain wolves because of their gender.

Within a wolf's own pack, attacking isn't common. There will be warning lunges and such if another wolf is misbehaving, but hardly ever will there be all-out attacking. Still, if circumstances call for an all-out attack, the only reason I see for a male sparing a female would be because she is a potential mate.
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

monkeyuncle6
Pup
Pup

Post by monkeyuncle6 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:58 am

well males can still attack dispersil females which dosent happen to often

Snowmuzzle
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Snowmuzzle » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:38 am

It's funny you mention this... I found another Konrad Lorenz quote concerning this in dogs. *goes to find the book* Here we go.
A dog finds himself in a rather similar situation when confronted with an attacking female. The inhibition against biting or even growling is the same, but the motive which bids him approach the aggressive female is incomparably stronger and the conflict between male dignity, fear of his assailant's teeth and the power of his erotic drives, lead to a type of behaviour which sometimes seems like a satire on the human being. It is chiefly the playful part, the 'politeness behaviour' I have just described, which makes an old dog appear so awkward. When such a rough customer who has long outgrown his playfulness, makes declarations of love by marking time with his fore-feet and bounding backwards and forwards, even the non-anthropomorphizing observer cannot help drawing certain comparisons: these are enhanced by the behaviour of the female, which treats the dog with much arrogance, knowing that he has got to put up with anything
(Quote from Man Meets Dog by Konrad Lorenz)
I think this is in potential mates, not foes. Yes, I would imagine the leader would discipline female members of his pack as well as the males.
Thou shalt not put musicians on ridiculous pedestals, no matter how great they are... or were.

monkeyuncle6
Pup
Pup

Post by monkeyuncle6 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:41 pm

well yeah (pardon my spelling) but male wolves attack disperciles on the game

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:01 pm

usually wolves will only compete for dominace within their own gender group, ie males dominate males, females dominate females. But when confronted or defensive, males and females will fight each other.

In Wolves at Our Door, a female black wolf was known for attacking and harassing subormdante females and males. Gender has little to do with the situation.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:11 pm

pawnee wrote:In Wolves at Our Door, a female black wolf was known for attacking and harassing subormdante females and males. Gender has little to do with the situation.
Sorry, off-topic here...but you're talking about Aipuyi, right? If I recall correctly, in the documentary Jim made about the Sawtooths, Aipuyi was mysteriously missing from the story...I wonder why he chose to leave her out. (And for a bit of Sawtooth news that I found out last night, apparently only Piyip and Motaki last two Sawtooths that are still alive. :( )

But Pawnee has a good point here: if a wolf feels the need to assert dominance over a subordinate, it will do so, regardless of the subordinate's gender.

Avvie by me

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:29 pm

They never included that part in the show...for obvious reasons...

In the beginning, there was a small pack-even before Kamots became alpha and he was just a pup. The alpha female at the time had to undergo a surgery for eye and was then released back into the pack. But she was attacked and mauled...know one knew which wolf did the job but suspected the pack had gained up on here. The alpha female was removed and sent to another wolf facility. But the black female wolf began attacking the other wolves, and tried to maul one particular young male. Eventually the injuries became more sevre and Jim was forced to concider putting the black female down. Because of course, who`s going to want to introduce an aggressive wolf into another pack? Eventually, Jim had to put the wolf down in the back of a truck.....

page 73
...."Female wolves see other female as a threat to their breeding rights and will seriously try to subdue the competition. Thus, fight betweens females are generally far more vicious then those between males.
...Aipuyi, on the other hand, was a much more complilcated wolf. She had neither the the calm dominance of Kamots nor the easy submission of Motaki. Despite being the ranking female, she was extremly nervous and had a quick and aggressive temper. I didn`t draw the conclusion at the time, but years later, when Aipuyi`s aggression became increasingly pronounced, I would come to assume that she was probably responsible for Makuyi`s injuries."

Page 123

..."What I had been fearing happened on afternoon in late september. During a pack rally, Aipuyi began to challenge Motomo who, as always, refused to back down. In a fury, Aipuyi launched herself at him. he met her head-on and the two twisted into a blurr of fangs and fur. I have never seen a fight between two wolves, before or since, that had this much ferocity and this much intent to do real harm. The other wolves, Kamots included, moved away, not intervening. I began to shout, hoping to distract Aipuyi, but she continued the assualt....
..." I couldn`t determine how sevre the injuries were . It didn`t matter. I couldn`t let this continue until one of them was killed. The next morning, I called Randy Acker and told him I had made the decision that we`d been discussing for months.
It was the most painful choice I had ever made and one that still reverberates to this day, both in my heart and in my relation ship with the Wolf Education and Research Centre. With the help of Randy and Karen McCall, I eneterd the enclosure and injected Aipuyi with a strong sedative. While Karen distratced the pack with food, I carried Aipuyi out to Randy`s truck, where we quietly put her to sleep."

-Wolves at Our Door, written by Jim and Jamie Dutcher.
-Jim Dutcher, Wolves at Our Door (Book)
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

monkeyuncle6
Pup
Pup

Post by monkeyuncle6 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:20 pm

females will attack males, but males arnt supposed to attack females

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:38 pm

monkeyuncle6 wrote:females will attack males, but males arnt supposed to attack females
Where did you read that? Because so far, everybody has said that gender doesn't matter. Besides, answering your own question on a topic is kind of pointless....

Avvie by me

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:40 pm

The only time gender really becomes a factor is during breeding season, but the 'attacks' are generally female vs female, or male vs male.

I think roleplays are affecting what people think about wolves o.o

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Songdog wrote:I think roleplays are affecting what people think about wolves o.o
You're probably right, methinks. I guess that's another good reason for it being banned from this forum. :?

Avvie by me

monkeyuncle6
Pup
Pup

Post by monkeyuncle6 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:49 pm

in the book whitefang whitefang couldent attack a female that was attacking him and it was more of a mixed question statement
Last edited by monkeyuncle6 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”