An in-depth guide to signs of an outdated graphics card

This section is for User Guides relating to the WQ Game. Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Forum rules
Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

An in-depth guide to signs of an outdated graphics card

Post by Koa » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Hello WolfQuest Community members and visitors,
If you are experiencing a black screen, blacked-out letters or an overall graphic display disaster, then this guide should be able to help you.

First, I'll go over the few signs of an outdated graphics card that does not meet WolfQuest's system requirements.

**NOTICE**
This guide was made by entirely by a personal experience with my own graphics card and with extended research and knowledge over time. If anything is incorrect, please let me know.

The Signs of an Outdated or Broken Graphics Card:
  • -Unexpected/complete freezing of the computer when no long-term (or short-term) frame-rate issues were detected or observed in the gameplay session.
    -Blotted/blacked-out lettering
    -Discolored terrain or game models that appear to be displayed incorrectly or in a "glitchy" manner.
    -Colored scent view. In normal scent view mode, it should appear in black-in-white with the according colors for the color trails. This is the easiest and quickest method (in my opinion) to detect if you have a graphics card that is broken or does not meet the system requirements.
    -Any other unsightly/abnormal graphical mishaps with the game that may be deemed as so.
Graphics Card information:

Before completing the steps below, take a good look at the system requirements again:

System requirements:
http://www.wolfquest.org/game_info.php

Finding your graphics card version: (Windows XP)
Koa wrote:You can check them by going to >>My Computer>> and if you have a Windows XP (it may work for other Windows as well) and on the side you should see a side bar that says "View system information". That will show you general information about your computer. then, from there, go to >>Hardware>>Device Manager>>Display Adapters and I think that shows the version of your graphics card. Once you've gathered all your information, compare them to the system requirements.

If you are unable to see the sidebar, go to >>My Computer<< and right-click it and select "Properties". From there, gather the general infomation about your computer, then go to >>Hardware>>Device Manager<< and click the + sign next to "Display Adpaters". That will give you the version of your grapihcs card. Once you've done that and you have organized your information, compare it to the system requirements.
I do not have any information avaliable for detecting your graphics card version on a Mac computer or any other systems. If you do, please, do PM me!

Integrated Graphics Cards:
By now, you should know what graphics card version you have. If it states you have integrated graphics card or if you have a laptop, then you will not be able to replace the graphics card.

Outdated graphics cards:
If your graphics card does not meet the system requirements, you may need to upgrade/purchase a newer version if you wish to play WolfQuest properly. Your computer's brand name should have a support site (for example, Dell has one and a few things to help you find a compatible graphics card) and you could probably enter your system's specs/computer name to display compatible products, like graphics cards.