Favorite wolf lore?

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
Kaheaniehal
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Favorite wolf lore?

Post by Kaheaniehal » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:07 pm

Like folk stories and such... or things from mythology- take your pic.

One of my favorites(and I wrote a poem about it) was that of Romulus and Remus. Two boys raised by a she-wolf. X3

Poem: http://kahea-wolfess.deviantart.com/art ... s-46411974

I wrote this like.... Last year sometime. Some beats are off, and the rhythm kinda bumps every so often. It's written more like a children's story hehe.
I support the Alliance

~ My heart is your heart ~

http://kaheaniehal.deviantart.com/

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Favorite wolf lore?

Post by pawnee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:24 pm

oooo! I like that one! I also like the ones from First Nations groups where wolves are seen in a postive light. For instance, one time a boy found a wolf with an arrow in its side and the wolf said "help me, and you will become great." so the boy cared for the wolf until it had healed. Later that boy turned out to be Sitting Bull, I reccemend you read his biography if you don`t know who he is. Another one I like is how a group of warriors had found a wolf pup and took care of it. The wolf and the warriors became friends and how the wolf eventually warned the warriors of some rival groups coming to raid them.

One of the more sadistic ones I`ve heard is that Tom Longboat was was the fastest man in the 1900`s, and to prove this he ran along side wolves and would cut them with his hunting knife as they ran from him. I don`t know if this is true or not, it may be just a story.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Destiny
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Destiny » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:14 pm

My favourite wolf legend is the Final Song.Here it is:
The Final Song
His song was ancient and pure. The song of the wind and that of the moon. The Ancient ones cried when his music faded forever from their ears, and the children's dreams went sour without his lullaby.

In his music was contained the tales of all that ever was and a longing for what he knew was never to be. Never again was his kind to travel boldly and without fear across the great expanse. Respected and revered by all that heard his song or saw his shadow pass.

His song now a whisper, his bold step but a crawl, he gathered up his strength to cry one final call. He sang of sorrow for those who would never know and for those who knew too well that the song was meant to be.

When the song had ended and the echoes faded away, all eyes opened to what was lost.

Tears were shed and souls did go astray when they knew they had gone wrong, but no one stopped to think of these things... before the Final Song.

by Erica Simpson

I got it from this site:
http://www.wolfcountry.net/information/ ... lsong.html

Fighting will not win the war.If it could the war would have ended long ago.

I am Cursed Destiny.
I was birthed a Fae.
I am loyal to No one.
I do things My way.
I live by My rules.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:53 pm

Of course I'm a fan of the tale of Fenris, the great wolf monster that bit off Tyr's hand and is waiting Ragnorak, the end of the world.

I also like the stories of the coyote tricksters from Native American tales, and the shifty Tanuki from Japanese and Chinese stories.

And none better are the tales from Celtic/English origins of the black dogs, or of Cu-sith the giant green hound.

LunarWolfVII
Pup
Pup
Location: Deep within a forest...Somewhere...*mysterious smile*

Post by LunarWolfVII » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:35 am

My favorite lore is a general mythological view of wolves in Japan (before their extinction there)

It was long believed that wolves, being creatures of the dark mountainous forests, had a connection to the spirit world. Stories abounded of travelers, especially children (returning from school etc.), who walking by dusk or night, who say they were followed by a wolf. it would not chase them, but only walked steadily behind them. Upon nearing their destination, the wolf would disappear.

Although some believed that you should never run, or fall, fearing it may warrent an attack, the meaning behind the wolf's shadowing of them was mainly benevolent, the wolf was seen as the traveler's protector.
I just love how mysterious their ancient stories are.
...when the sun has gone I see you
beautiful and haunting but cold
like the blade of a knife so sharp so sweet
nobody knows your heart...

- "Princess Mononoke" by Joe Hisaishi

My DeviantART - http://skygatecreations.deviantart.com/

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:20 am

its sad that the modern idiots wiped them all out in japan :cry:
icon by Rottenrobbie

LunarWolfVII
Pup
Pup
Location: Deep within a forest...Somewhere...*mysterious smile*

Post by LunarWolfVII » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Blindseer wrote:its sad that the modern idiots wiped them all out in japan :cry:
Yeah, the westerners came in and in the modernization of the country the people came to see them as a threat to growing livestock and such, and so they were wiped out.

There have into rather recent times been supposed reports of wolf sightings, but I think it just wishful thiking or wolfy looking dogs...
...when the sun has gone I see you
beautiful and haunting but cold
like the blade of a knife so sharp so sweet
nobody knows your heart...

- "Princess Mononoke" by Joe Hisaishi

My DeviantART - http://skygatecreations.deviantart.com/

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:43 pm

Blindseer wrote:its sad that the modern idiots wiped them all out in japan :cry:
Havnt you got a 'Japan' styled picture for your avatar!!!!
mmmmm, maybe you should think about what you say,
And me saying that i agree with myself think be4 u type :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:34 pm

Wolfie10 wrote:
Havnt you got a 'Japan' styled picture for your avatar!!!!
mmmmm, maybe you should think about what you say,
And me saying that i agree with myself think be4 u type :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
I have no idea what you are talking about. byu "modern" I mean the europeans that came to japan and caused expansion, not the people that live there now.
icon by Rottenrobbie

ShadowReaper
Pup
Pup

Post by ShadowReaper » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Okami Amaterasu...the japanese goddess of the sun. the white wolf who fought against the evil eight headed eight tailed serpent orochi, using the 8 purification sake and the celestrial brush to banish the beast!

the legend of Okami...I love it!^^ I knew of it before the game came out, cause I really like japanese stuff. when the game came out I bought it and played it like mad!

I like werewolves. not the ones where it looks like a really hairy guy but they look like actual wolves! its pretty cool.
The beast that holds you over the raging inferno,
Much as one holds a spider,
Or some loathsome insect over the fire,
ABHORS You...
Her wrath towards you burns like fire;
She looks upon you as worthy of nothing else,
But to be cast into the fire.

Fenris
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Fenris » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:35 pm

I really like the wolf Fenris. The wolf god who had the power to destroy all others. I think i was a good read.

ShadowReaper
Pup
Pup

Post by ShadowReaper » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:42 pm

Fernis and Tor....Fernis was often depicted with bull horns on his head and massive fangs right? wasn't he also pure black? Tor was the moon and she was either pure white or silver....(nice avvy by the way^^)
ABHORS You...

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:45 pm

ShadowReaper wrote:Fernis and Tor....Fernis was often depicted with bull horns on his head and massive fangs right? wasn't he also pure black? Tor was the moon and she was either pure white or silver....(nice avvy by the way^^)
where did it say that? I thought tor was only in the sight?
icon by Rottenrobbie

ShadowReaper
Pup
Pup

Post by ShadowReaper » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:54 pm

we're not talking about okami...I think we just got onto the subject of sight/traditional wolven lore...
ABHORS You...

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:28 pm

what do you mean? you were the only one that mentioned okami... and I dont know why you are talking about the sight...
icon by Rottenrobbie