The Sight, by David Clement-Davies

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.

Have you read it?

Yeah, and I love it!
69%
Yeah, and I hate it.
3%
It was okay.
4%
I haven't read it.
24%

Total votes: 313

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: The Sight, by David Clement-Davies

Post by Maia Huntress » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Alpha Female wrote:I have just saw The Sight at a local book store. I'm thinking of picking it up and reading it, it looks really interesting. ^ ^

I highly recommend it; it's totally pawsome! :mrgreen: I would also recommend the sequel, Fell and another one of David Clement-Davies books, Fire Bringer.

larkaputnar
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: On Hold, busy with school but i will visit now and then and wait until things calm down.

Post by larkaputnar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Maia Huntress wrote:
Larka the white wolf wrote:I was sad when they died. And the part where they were on the wolf trail with Morgra, who was good now, just tore me apart. And when I found out Vladeran killed Larka and wore her pelt. I was furious.
I agree; it was so very sad. :cry: Just think, if Vladeran hadn't killed her, Larka might've survived....
I know! And she and Kar could have actuallyy been together! Sniff...I think that the sight was better than Fell, but Fell was unique in it's own ways. Fire Bringer is just amazing, i mean incredible for your first ever book! David Clement Davies is one of a kind!
.::Larka's.::.Hope::.

.::Proud Journey of Truth and New Dawn writer ::.

.:: Fantastic Avvie by LupinzPack!::.

Check out Palla's writers website. PM me for more info

Zumi-saur

Post by Zumi-saur » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:51 am

Haha, I'm currently reading The Sight. I sort of cheated in a way I read Fell before The Sight. Now bit by bit everything is starting to make sense. x)

-Glacier-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Glacier- » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:32 am

I read Fire Bringer, The Sight and Fell over several weeks about a month ago. I thought all of them were really good books, and Fire Bringer was my favorite. ^^ I think I'll get The Telling Pool sometime and see how it is.

The ending to The Sight wasn't quite as bad as I feared it might be; at least Larka didn't get ripped to shreds or anything, though it was still really sad... I felt especially bad for Kar. When I read Fell, though, I couldn't believe how she had been killed. >.< That was terrible!
.............X // GLACIER \\ X
......» Run to live » Live to run »
.Loyal member of Undine Falls Pack
Undine Falls PMoTM December 2009

..Avatar © Hiedidog! Thank you! ♥

April

Post by April » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:59 pm

The Sight is the best out of all the ones I've read.

I've also read The Sight, Fire Bringer, And Fell. Fell was a disappointment to me actually because in my mind it ruined the whole meaning of the first book with teh ending. To me it sounded like they were making excuses that Larka survived. Larka obviously knew she was going to die by falling over teh trench. I also think it ruins the meaning. I loved the ending of The Sight, it was sad but it was beautiful. Because the main character gave up her life-even though she knew she would die. Well the whole point of that is ruined with Fell when it reveals she could have still lived if man hadn't killed her. Spoiled the meaning and it really ticked me off actually. Why wright such a beautiful and meaningful ending if its just going to be spoiled in the next book?

That wasn't all.

Fell's character seemed to change a bit in the next book. In fact he seemed like an average character-almost like he had lost his distinct character and turned into something much more general.

I also hated the whole fact of the "prophecy." They just finished a prophecy, so it seemed a little silly to have ANOTHER one right after. Prophecies aren't a common thing, but rather, rare and sacred. It felt like "Oh great...HERE we go again." It almost seemed like there should have been something inbetween before they started on with the next prophecy.

I hated the whole "human" thing. I didn't like the involvement of humans and so it blurred the wolves out a bit with the introduction of the humans side of the story. Personally I just didn't like that whole thing.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 am

April wrote:The Sight is the best out of all the ones I've read.

I've also read The Sight, Fire Bringer, And Fell. Fell was a disappointment to me actually because in my mind it ruined the whole meaning of the first book with teh ending. To me it sounded like they were making excuses that Larka survived. Larka obviously knew she was going to die by falling over teh trench. I also think it ruins the meaning. I loved the ending of The Sight, it was sad but it was beautiful. Because the main character gave up her life-even though she knew she would die. Well the whole point of that is ruined with Fell when it reveals she could have still lived if man hadn't killed her. Spoiled the meaning and it really ticked me off actually. Why wright such a beautiful and meaningful ending if its just going to be spoiled in the next book?

That wasn't all.

Fell's character seemed to change a bit in the next book. In fact he seemed like an average character-almost like he had lost his distinct character and turned into something much more general.

I also hated the whole fact of the "prophecy." They just finished a prophecy, so it seemed a little silly to have ANOTHER one right after. Prophecies aren't a common thing, but rather, rare and sacred. It felt like "Oh great...HERE we go again." It almost seemed like there should have been something inbetween before they started on with the next prophecy.

I hated the whole "human" thing. I didn't like the involvement of humans and so it blurred the wolves out a bit with the introduction of the humans side of the story. Personally I just didn't like that whole thing.
I do agree that Fell was not as good as The Sight, but I don't hate it. I HATED the part about Larka for the same reasons you do, but I didn't really noticed that Fell changed that much. I think the only reason he seemed changed was because we were in his POV now. Before, we didn't know what he was thinking, so he seemed like more of a dark, mysterious character in The sight.

About the whole prophecy thing: It wasn't one right after the other. Fell takes place five years after The Sight.

Delira

Post by Delira » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:55 am

Even though the prophecy of Fell technically took place five years later, it was still just one more book, and I do agree with April: The Sight was much better than Fell, and I agree for basically all the same reasons you do. Larka gave her life even though it was a hard decision and she knew either way she was going to die, she had to make the choice of whether she would try to continue living and escape her death. Like April said, they ruined the sad but very touching ending of The Sight when they revealed that she could have lived in Fell. They took away all of those emotions and replaced it with anger at the author for even doing such a thing.

Again, like April stated above, Fell had much more of a character in The Sight than in Fell, which I find kind of funny considering the book is named after him, when really it's not about wolves at all, but rather the human girl Alina. Why didn't they just take her name and use it as the titled if Fell was only partially the main character? I liked Alina, but I bought the book before reading it at the library because I thought it would be like The Sight: all about wolves.

And once more, I expected the story to be centered around wolves, and Fell, mainly. Alina and the other humans took up basically the whole story and Alina was undoubtedly the main character, placing Fell in the secondary character's slot. And the book was named after him with a picture of him on the cover if it was all about Alina why? I don't know, but I much preferred The Sight.

WolfofDusk
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WolfofDusk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:05 pm

yepidy yep, i've read and i love it! i was really sad when Larka died though D: i kept hoping that shed make that jump! but she didnt i was so mad D: and then when ...yea.. anywho lol i love the sequal "Fell" its so awesome readining about her brother and all. he's a pretty awesome character. it was also nice to know what happened to the rest of the other characters to at least Larka and Fell's parents. Fire Bringer was also a good book and btw for those that don't now Fire Bringer is technically the first book to "The Sight" as Skart does mention Rannoch in like the second half of the book whne he talks to Larka about something or other. i forget. anyway its an awesome series lets just leave it at that ^^ oh and I was sad to see Kipcha die to D:
Maia Huntress wrote:
April wrote:The Sight is the best out of all the ones I've read.

That wasn't all.

I do agree that Fell was not as good as The Sight, but I don't hate it. I HATED the part about Larka for the same reasons you do, but I didn't really noticed that Fell changed that much. I think the only reason he seemed changed was because we were in his POV now. Before, we didn't know what he was thinking, so he seemed like more of a dark, mysterious character in The sight.

About the whole prophecy thing: It wasn't one right after the other. Fell takes place five years after The Sight.
dang didn't even see what you posted til now. i should read it before posting what i did lol. and you know what? your...lol i'm kidding, you make some excellent points and i agree with you. THe Sight was a lot better and Fell did change seem a bit diff, but eh i figured that was due to the fact that he had a bit of an understanding over everything this time. I was disapointed that it had more to with humans than with wolves, whowever i found the story to be very interseting so i did quickly get over my disapoint, but yeah i think it could have been a lot better than what it was. still i enjoyed it
Slinking in the shadows, hidden from the sun, darkness as my element, that is where I'll stay. Hidden from the outside world, that attempts to tear my soul away.

Larka the white wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Larka the white wolf » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Does anyone know if Scream of the White Bears is the sequel to Fell, with the descendants of Alina? And when does it come out?
If it is like the sequel, I don't know if I like the idea of white bears and wolves...
Avatar by Tribefeather of the Official Warrior Cats Forums! (thanks!)
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

redkona09
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Probably watching a squirrel in my yard. Or reading a book on the couch.

Post by redkona09 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:38 am

Larka the white wolf wrote:Does anyone know if Scream of the White Bears is the sequel to Fell, with the descendants of Alina? And when does it come out?
If it is like the sequel, I don't know if I like the idea of white bears and wolves...
I thought it was already out? I could be wrong . . .
◈◈ On the ground I lay, motionless, in ραιп
I can see my life flashing before my єуєs
Did I fall asleep? Is this all a ƌяєαм?
Wake me up, I'm living a пιԍнтмαяє . . . ◈◈
~Time of Dying, by Three Days Grace~

Avvie by Serenal

Larka the white wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Larka the white wolf » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:40 am

Oh, I went to get it and I couldn't even pre-order it...
Avatar by Tribefeather of the Official Warrior Cats Forums! (thanks!)
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:10 am

I've read The Sight. I finished it quickly and I thought it was a very good book. The way the author wrote it was just completely amazing. I started Fell but was unable to finish it because it was a teacher's book. The book may be on my summer reading list and, if it is, I will read it.

I was sad when Larka died in The Sight, although it was inevitable. The way you learned about the characters and their pasts would good too.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Rain_Swift-River
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Swift

Post by Rain_Swift-River » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Reading Fell at the moment, as I finally got it. Not very far into it yet, but I'm excited >_<
Welcome to the Panic Room
Where all your darkest fears
are gonna come for you

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:09 am

Rain_Swift-River wrote:Reading Fell at the moment, as I finally got it. Not very far into it yet, but I'm excited >_<
It may be a bit boring in the beginning, but it gets better^^
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 am

Larka the white wolf wrote:Does anyone know if Scream of the White Bears is the sequel to Fell, with the descendants of Alina? And when does it come out?
It is not the sequel to Fell. It has nothing to do with wolves from what I've heard/read about it. Here is a brief summary from http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/dav ... -bears.htm
In the ice wilds of the fabled north, the lords of the moving mountains have always been the polar bears. Kings of the wild, the white bears have ruled since the beginning of time, believing that they were hurled to earth from the heavens. There is only one creature they fear - man.

The polar bears are also haunted by a prophecy, that one day the ice will suddenly cry out and die, causing the fish to float and the seals to flee. Then, as a result, one will be born among them - a white cub with one black paw who can hear the very beating of the polar heart. It is he who will lead his kind, and the whole world, to safety.

It was supposed to come out in February, but then for some reason it was delayed. Now it is coming out sometime in the autumn, I believe.

Return to “Wolf Multimedia”