The Sight, by David Clement-Davies

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.

Have you read it?

Yeah, and I love it!
69%
Yeah, and I hate it.
3%
It was okay.
4%
I haven't read it.
24%

Total votes: 313

Larka the white wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Re: The Sight, by David Clement-Davies

Post by Larka the white wolf » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Ah, I see. But it still seems to be about the world ending like Larka saw, and Alina's descendants have o save the world too, don't they? Also, in the back of Fell it had a preview and there was wolves included!
Avatar by Tribefeather of the Official Warrior Cats Forums! (thanks!)
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Larka the white wolf wrote:Ah, I see. But it still seems to be about the world ending like Larka saw, and Alina's descendants have o save the world too, don't they? Also, in the back of Fell it had a preview and there was wolves included!
What? Not in my Fell! There wasn't a preview in the back of the Fell I own.... :? Lucky.

April

Post by April » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 pm

I was disappointed in Fell. Especially when it turned Larka's Sacrifice into Larka's Murdered. So much for the sacrifice considering she probably would have lived anyway if it wasn't for man. THat actually made me very angry. And just teh whole human thing...and another prophecy so soon after the last...bleh...

But The Sight is amazing-I love the complex storyline and the style of writing involved. I also love how it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. And I like sad stories...
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Larka the white wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Larka the white wolf » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:30 am

I agree. It totally ruined how Larka gave her life and how she died. And it made me angry that she miht've lived if Lord Vladeran hadn't killed her... I was also really mad how he made her coat a pelt. Thats just wrong, an evil guy wearing the pelt of a noble wolf! AH! The whole Alina thing made me disappointed too, since it wasn't just about wolves anymore and it kept switching back...
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 am

The whole title of Fell was FELL. Not ALINA. It should've been more in Fell's point of view and include Fell more. In the book Fell was more of a back character that just had the action and the weird personality while Alina was the awesome heroine... It seemed like Fell was just a filler for a character that the author put to have at least SOME wolves in it.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Larka the white wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Larka the white wolf » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 am

Yeah, I totally agree! Fell was awesome, while Alina just annoyed me.... I also wanted to know more about what happened to the pack after Huttser and Palla died. I really think that Fell should never have been written, because The Sight ended perfectly without a sequel.
▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

larkaputnar
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: On Hold, busy with school but i will visit now and then and wait until things calm down.

Post by larkaputnar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 am

I agree. Fell was good and i loved it but Alina really irritated me, this was supposed to be Fell's story. Okay i did feel sorry for her and i did like her somewhat, but there were times when i got really annoyed. Anyway, i am not sure that the bear book is to do with wolves, because the whole Alina's descendants things, they are going to be humans with the eyes of wolves if you remember Fell's vision which ties in with Larka's, and they stop two armies or something. Beears didnt have anything to do with it....but i might be wrong.

So anyway LOVED the Sight, Liked Fell quite a bit....

does anyone have the feeling that he actually enjoys killing off his characters or just a habit. i mean he killed off alot in Firebringer, even Rannoch in the end, then Larka and others, then Huttser and Palla and the blacksmith Lescu...death, sacrifce...sometimes i think it's out of habit or just his way of writing but sometimes i do feel this sense that he was glad to get rid of the character or something. It might be stupid for me to say but occasionaly i get that feeling. Anyway they are great books and no doubt the polar bear one, the one with the black foot will either die sacrificing himself, sacrificing someone he carees about or something like that or the ones he cares about dies. There will be deaths...but i guess if all stories had happily ever afters with everyone alive, then they wouldnt be as good.
.::Larka's.::.Hope::.

.::Proud Journey of Truth and New Dawn writer ::.

.:: Fantastic Avvie by LupinzPack!::.

Check out Palla's writers website. PM me for more info

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm

larkaputnar wrote:
does anyone have the feeling that he actually enjoys killing off his characters or just a habit. i mean he killed off alot in Firebringer, even Rannoch in the end, then Larka and others, then Huttser and Palla and the blacksmith Lescu...death, sacrifce...sometimes i think it's out of habit or just his way of writing but sometimes i do feel this sense that he was glad to get rid of the character or something. It might be stupid for me to say but occasionaly i get that feeling. Anyway they are great books and no doubt the polar bear one, the one with the black foot will either die sacrificing himself, sacrificing someone he carees about or something like that or the ones he cares about dies. There will be deaths...but i guess if all stories had happily ever afters with everyone alive, then they wouldnt be as good.
Not really. I mean, every character that he killed died for a reason. It wasn't like some books I've read where the characters just die randomly for pretty much no apparent reason. Larka sacrificed herself, almost the whole pack had to die because they'd been cursed, and then Morgra had to die because she was evil.

In Fire Bringer, Drail had to die because otherwise Sgorr would never have been able to rise to power, Sgorr had to die because he was the villian, Brechin had to die because he was an Outrider, that other deer who's name escapes me had to die because he was sacrificing himself, Thistle and Peppa had to die because...well...some main characters had to die.

In Fell, Huttser and Palla had to die because they were, like, way old, Lescu had to die because otherwise he would've had to go on the quest with Alina and that would not be good, Ivan had to die because he helped Alina, that other guy, Barbat or something like that, had to die because someone had to die so that Alina could be blamed for murder, Jalgan had to die because he was evil, as did Vladeran.

Whew! I think I got everyone, but I'm not sure. Anyways, my point is is that almost every death had reason behind it.

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:50 pm

But there wasn't actually a curse, correct? They talked about how there actually wasn't but the pack believed there was so everyone died.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Adalae wrote:But there wasn't actually a curse, correct? They talked about how there actually wasn't but the pack believed there was so everyone died.
There may as well have been. They were so scared and deluded that they pretty much cursed themselves.

larkaputnar
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: On Hold, busy with school but i will visit now and then and wait until things calm down.

Post by larkaputnar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 am

I didnt say i thought that, and yes there are reasons and valid ones but what i didnt say there wasnt a reason, i said that maybe even though thats how the story had to go, he might have had some pleasure in doing so. I am probably wrong but it was just an errant thought.

By the way there was not a curse,here is a quote from page 446 in the Sight:
'And was it out of justice,' snarled Huttser suddenly, 'was it out of goodness that you cursed us that night? You killed my friends. Yu killed my cubs.'
'Is it not strange,' said Morgra slowly, and her eyes smiled, 'that you beleive in curses more than I?'
'But you---'
'Your own fear and weakness, your own guilt have worked on you all Huttser,' snarled Morgra. 'Your own desperate clinging to life. As Wolfban worked on the Balkar. That is the meaning of a curse. Nothing more. But the Sight is a true power, and soon i will use it to control all''
You see. There never was a curse, only what Morgra said, and it was only the Sight that was the true power. The curse was only meant to play on their minds, it wasnt a true curse and it wasnt really a curse even if it wasnt one because it was their own minds deceiving them.

That's my opinion anyway. Everyone else probably has a different one.

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:17 pm

larkaputnar wrote: By the way there was not a curse.
Maia Huntress wrote:
Adalae wrote:But there wasn't actually a curse, correct? They talked about how there actually wasn't but the pack believed there was so everyone died.
There may as well have been. They were so scared and deluded that they pretty much cursed themselves.

He may enjoy killing off his characters; I mean in my stories sometimes I'm dying to kill of a character because I hate them. Or maybe he just likes writing about death. It is a very mysterious and intriguing subject.

larkaputnar
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by larkaputnar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Yes i do see what you mean, i understand. It is an intriguing subject. I know it would be hard for a writer to answer all these questions but i wish there was a was to contact him and ask him. Only ask questions not say how much you love the stories. I wish writers would do that. i undestand the difficulties of that, but i wish it was avaliable. I would ask him about the whole death thing.

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 pm

larkaputnar wrote:Yes i do see what you mean, i understand. It is an intriguing subject. I know it would be hard for a writer to answer all these questions but i wish there was a was to contact him and ask him. Only ask questions not say how much you love the stories. I wish writers would do that. i undestand the difficulties of that, but i wish it was avaliable. I would ask him about the whole death thing.

Yes, that would be cool if we could somehow get his email address...

I just went on David Clement-Davies website( http://www.davidclementdavies.com) and guess what I found out? Scream Of The White Bears has been cancelled! Here is a quote:

SCREAM OF THE WHITE BEAR: Cancelled. If I can find another publisher, and editor who understands the absolute importance of editorial trust, over internal politics or the power over their list, it may come again. Many apologies to my readers, but it has been an awful two years.
Isn't that horrible? I was really looking forward to reading it.... :cry:

larkaputnar
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by larkaputnar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Thats horrible! I wonder what has happened? Oh my goodness that is bad! For him and for us. Mostly for him...Oh i hope things go okay!