"Julie of the Wolves" by Jean Craighead George.

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
MuddWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

"Julie of the Wolves" by Jean Craighead George.

Post by MuddWolf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:23 am

Has anyone read it? There are also sequels, like "Julie's Wolf Pack" and "Julie". I'm not sure if there are more or not, but if there are, I'd like to know about them.

Spoiler Ahead!

Summary from Wikipedia:
Miyax, a thirteen-year old girl whose mother is dead and whose father disappeared while hunting, has run away. She intends to use the survival skills her father taught her to walk from Point Barrow to Point Hope. There, she plans to get a job on one of the huge ships as a laundress or cook and work her way to San Francisco, where she has a pen pal, Amy, who always ends her letters, "When are you coming to San Francisco?" Unfortunately, the tundra is different from her home country, and Miyax is lost.

Remembering what Miyax's father Kapugen, the great hunter, told her, she uses the body language she has learned from watching a wolf pack to persuade them to take her in and feed her. Miyax calls the great black lead wolf Amaroq, the Eskimo word for wolf. She names his mate Silver, and she calls his work partner Nails. There is also a cringing wolf that she calls Jello. Finally, the wolf pack has a litter of puppies. The smartest and bravest of these puppies she names after her father, Kapugen, or Kapu for short. In time, the wolves take in Miyax, though Jello's apparent opposition costs him even his low status in the pack. Miyax celebrates Amaroq as her foster father and sings songs in his praise. Winter is approaching, though, and Miyax, now that she is not starving, has gotten her bearings. She prepares to move on as the wolves enter the final days of training the grown pups for their nomadic winter life. Miyax hears the wolves calling. Finally ready, she is shocked to discover that the wolves have left.

Miyax's sense of abandonment triggers memories of her past life. Her mother dies when she is four, and her father takes her to a remote seal camp where the old Eskimo ways are practiced. Five years later, her Aunt Martha shows up with a court order and takes her back to be schooled, but Kapugen whispers that if she doesn't like it, at thirteen she can marry his friend Naka's son Daniel and escape. A month later, word comes that Kapugen has gone out to hunt and never returned. Miyax is now called Julie. Aunt Martha is strict, and at thirteen Julie, whose greatest pleasure is now the weekly letter from her pen pal Amy, does leave. Daniel turns out to be dull-witted, but although they marry, Julie's main role is helping her mother-in-law sew. Daniel and Julie live as indifferent brother and sister until the teasing of village men goads him to attempt to have sex with her. Julie is so upset and frightened that she gathers supplies and leaves, intending to take a ship for San Francisco.

Coming back to the present, Miyax is even more upset to find that Jello has destroyed her camp and much of her food. He misses her pack, though, and using what she has learned from the wolves, she backs him into surrender. Nevertheless, he follows her, and several nights later he steals her pack while she is sleeping. For this, Amaroq kills him, just as he would kill a lone wolf that stole food from a puppy. Miyax takes in a nearly frozen young golden plover and names him Tornait, "spirit of the birds." She discovers that she likes the old Eskimo ways, and her distrust of civilization is justified when hunters shooting from a plane kill Amaroq and wound Kapu. Miyax nurses Kapu back to health, and he becomes pack leader. Miyax's decision to stay in the wilderness living the old ways changes when she learns that Kapugen is living in a nearby town. He is overjoyed to see her. Miyax is surprised by his white English wife and modern possessions. She learns that he is now a pilot who takes hunters out. Taking Tornait, she slips out, but the bird dies shortly thereafter. Miyax sings, in English, a farewell to the old ways and returns to Kapugen.
. m u d d w o l f

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Re: "Julie of the Wolves" by Jean Craighead George.

Post by pawnee » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:49 am

Their are 3 books: the first is Julie of the Wolves. The second is Julie which follows half with Julie and half with Kapu's pack. The third is mainly about Kapu and Sweet Fur Amy in Julie's Wolf Pack.

I liked all three books, they were each well written and told with a dedicated passion for the northern culture. The first book is the best in my opinion.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I read the second one but not the first or third one. I really liked the second one and really want to read the first or third. xD

April

Post by April » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:58 pm

I loved this book. My favourite wolf was always Iceblink.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm

I liked Amaroq, Silver and Kapu. They were supposed to make a movie out of the book but the screenplay fell through or something....
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Zelda101
Pup
Pup

Post by Zelda101 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:50 pm

I always loved Kapu, and I really did cry when Amaroq died. Humans are just horrible sometimes!
I only read the first book. I wasn't aware there were sequels! I'm dying to read them now! I better add them to my list of "Must-Read Books".

Oh, and I think that there was never a movie because the screenplay got too far from the book.
Blaez, mate of Rayne
...........(\_/)
....____/{''-;
..//) )_(.../
.U((.....\\\

Mystic3170
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Mystic3170 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:28 am

I love Aaka :mrgreen: I'm re-reading " Julie's Wolf Pack " right now :D
I was all like OMG when Iceblink contaminated Cloudberry and the Mountain Pack died :o
Is this the end of the moment
Or just a beautiful unfolding
Of a love that will never be?

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Julie of the Wolves is the book that first got me liking wolves. ^_^
My favorite one is the third one, "Julie's Wolf Pack".
██████████████

Aurora Alaska
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Location: Being in Aurora's Place of Absolute Excitement and Dullness and Oxymorons

Post by Aurora Alaska » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:32 pm

I have. Finished neither of the sequels, though i eoy learning about Alaska and really like Julie of the Wolves. Started the sequels . . . Julie's Wolf Pack was getting pretty awesome.
Aurora
Hope is a shining beacon. Let it lead you to your true place. Let it guide your soul.

April

Post by April » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book actually. ^_^ Ice Blink is my favourite character. The rabid infested wolf...poor thing. D:
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Purity

Post by Purity » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Oh, I just loved the books! It's fascinating the way the wolves learn to trust her. Unfortunately, I skipped one of the books and found myself totally lost in the book. even worse, I didn't find out about "the missing one" until I saw the back cover XD

Overall, it's wonderful. Sad at times, but wonderful. :)

DazzleBerry
Former WQ Moderator

Post by DazzleBerry » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 pm

I just finished the fist book, and loved it! It was very well written, and I just couldn't put it down! ;D
I will have to go get the sequels now I suppose, but I will probably be anti-social for a while. ;)
"Julie of the Wolves" is definitely the best book I have read for some time now though.
EX-MODERATOR

Hunter_Wolf123

Post by Hunter_Wolf123 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:46 pm

I like these books, though the third was my favorite! ^^

Kaheaniehal
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kaheaniehal » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:01 pm

I read all three of these books back when I was about 13, maybe 14 (I'm 18 now). :]

I thought they were a really interesting look into wolves, and how she gave all the characters personalities without overly humanizing them.
I can't remember all the characters, but I think one was called Raw Bones, a wolf who was always challenging Kapu for dominance.

Plus the mitten.... Kapu likes his mittens. xD

After I read the books I found her website and sent her an email with a little poem about wolves(remember, this was years back so the poem wasn't any good). But she replied a few days later and liked it. She's a really nice lady. c:
I support the Alliance

~ My heart is your heart ~

http://kaheaniehal.deviantart.com/

wolfhorse152
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolfhorse152 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:56 pm

Ive read Julies Wolf Pack and the first one I forgot what it was called...but they are really good books! I love them! Ive read Julies Wolf Pack atleast 5 times and its still good!