"Wolves of the Beyond" by Kathryn Lasky

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
wolf_sa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: "Wolves of the Beyond" by Kathryn Lasky

Post by wolf_sa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:23 pm

DerpBacon wrote:I read Wolves of the Beyond, and I didn't exactly like it. I feel like it was too tied in with the GoG series. It mentioned in the first book that the 'owls from the kingdom of Ga'Hoole' would swoop in and take Faolan.
I agree with DerpBacon - too many owls! :roll:
I also thought it was really unrealistic... like, bone necklaces? Great Chain? Clans with strange Scottish surnames? Where did this come from?
Also I didn't really like Faolan - he was too much of a Wolfy Sue.
My favourite character is The Whistler 8)
~ Wolf_SA
"Oh, Miss Believer, my pretty sleeper
Your twisted mind is like snow on the road
Your shaking shoulders prove that it's colder
Inside your head than the winter of dead..."

Delak
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Delak » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:52 pm

I like wolves of the beyond books I have a few of the wolves of the beyond books at my house I think the books are cool.
hey everyone i'm Delak or you can call me Ghost I have a pack and i'm the leader of the pack the pack needs a name. The server name is wolf quest and its an open server. i'm usually on it but right now i'm not on it so like I said you can join it and the pack needs a name so see ya soon :)

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:30 am

The books are good if you like fantasy animals books like the redwall series or warrior cats but it's pretty far from the realistic view that in the same sense educates people about wolves and their behavior. Have any of you read the actual bambi book by Felix Salten? It's pretty close to it's accuracy on wild deer which is amazing and much is different from the Disney movie.
Go your own way

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:49 pm

I remembered when I started reading the series. I really liked it, still do, and I wasn't too upset with the fantasy-ness because I was a fan of Guardians of Ga'Hoole and I am very aware that the Guardians of Ga'Hoole was a fantasy story and that both series were by the same author, one thing that bothered me and made me stop reading the series, was that I read that in some of the later books Faolan starts seeing ghosts, which I thought was too much already -_-

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:34 am

I read this book back between the ages of 10 and 11. It was this very book series that sparked my love for wolves. I remember drawing the wolves I saw on the book covers. Those were good times!
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:28 am

Tsuri wrote:I read this book back between the ages of 10 and 11. It was this very book series that sparked my love for wolves. I remember drawing the wolves I saw on the book covers. Those were good times!
Yes, this book sparked my love of wolves too! And I once attempted to draw Faolan as he appeared on the cover on one of the books, I believe it was the first book, although I could be wrong.
wolf_sa wrote:
DerpBacon wrote:I read Wolves of the Beyond, and I didn't exactly like it. I feel like it was too tied in with the GoG series. It mentioned in the first book that the 'owls from the kingdom of Ga'Hoole' would swoop in and take Faolan.
I agree with DerpBacon - too many owls! :roll:
I also thought it was really unrealistic... like, bone necklaces? Great Chain? Clans with strange Scottish surnames? Where did this come from?
Also I didn't really like Faolan - he was too much of a Wolfy Sue.
My favourite character is The Whistler 8)
~ Wolf_SA
Although now that I think about it, Faolan was kind of a Wolfy Sue, which I think was more of a plot device in order to make it seem like he was gonna be the next great Fengo, which was this wolf of legend that saved all the Wolves of the Beyond from a great blizzard like thousands of years ago, at least, I began to theorize that Faolan was gonna be the next great Fengo, with the way that they were portraying him, but I'd have to reread the series, even finish it to fully remember and understand how things go.

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Idk, I tried to read it when I was little, I just couldn't get into it. Don't get me wrong, it probably was a really good book, I just can't usually read books in an animal's POV, nor can I write one.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:58 pm

When I first picked up the book, I remember being confused at the word Obea, until i realized that the author had another dozen made up words for the wolves, bears and owls. I loved that plot element: the fact that they come from a history of different languages. I feel that animals in real life cannot understand each other the way movies often depict them to. The language difference in species really intrigued me.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Return to “Wolf Multimedia”