Best wolf documentaries/books

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
Thierry
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re:

Post by Thierry » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:33 am

kefa wrote: But the more 'educational' ones I've read that I've enjoyed are:
the art of being a Wolf by Anee Menatory
I know well Anne Menatory, his book is although for the splendid photographs (from Gianni Guadalupi).
In fact, all the text is copied in the books of her father : Gerard menatory, THE French Wolf Expert (dead in 1998), and founder of the largest park with wolf in the world “Les loups du Gevaudan” : http://www.loupsdugevaudan.com/
Thierry from www.loup.org
PS : excuse my poor english, I'm french. ;-)

Sauni
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Best wolf documentaries/books

Post by Sauni » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:35 pm

untamedspirit wrote:Living with wolves is the best wolf documentary I have seen and Wolves at our Door is a great book. Another book that I have read that has wolves in it and is about the wolves is 'The Sight'. This book is fictional in nature but shows definate wolf behaviour and dynamics. Also, it actually has the wolves express their feelings about certain situations like the death of a pup and pack member.
I have reread The Sight so many times I think I'm crazy. :mrgreen: It's my most fav book ever! Also I've seen most of the documentaries everyone's mentioned...not to mention the Balto trilogy. And there is a movie about wolves that is still being made..don't get too excited because you'll have to wait a few years before it's even close to being released. :P Here's the site if you want to know more.

www.wolfmovie.com

)........(\_/)
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._\\

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:22 am

I cant wait till that movie comes out! :mrgreen:
icon by Rottenrobbie

Sauni
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sauni » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:21 pm

Yeah same. :)

)........(\_/)
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._\\

~*Midnight~*
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ~*Midnight~* » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:52 pm

Like someone already said "Spirit Of The Wolf" is a very good book. Having a book like that is great. It tells everything about wolves... EVERYTHING. :D
Always wondering why or how, but never when...
Time... Time is time inside itself...

~Ashira The Wolf

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:39 am

Speak of the devil, I just bought the "Wolves at Our Door" book by Jim and Jamie Dutcher. Goooood read.

I also have their documentary, "Living with Wolves" recorded on my DVR. :mrgreen: And I've seen some other wolf documentaries on various channels, but the 2-hour long "Living with Wolves" is my favorite.

Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

WindSeeker
Pup
Pup

Post by WindSeeker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:29 pm

I enjoy all the documentaries mentioned...

A book that I love is
Brother Wolf: Forgotten Promise, by Jim Brandenburg... The forward in it is likely one of the most poignant pieces of writing I've ever read.

I own the book (its rather ratty from years of use) but the mentioned forward can be found here:
http://www.scs.unr.edu/~tbmoss/wolfsden.htm
WindSeeker's Deviantart Gallery
http://windseeker.deviantart.com/

Join the Elemental Fantasy Wolf RP of Paragon
http://paragon.invisionzone.com/

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:12 pm

jim brandenburg also took the photographs for Arctic wolf, a book by dr. mech who is like the most famous wolf person around. I`ve tried to find brother wolf for years and I have yet to get my paws on it!
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

aurablade
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by aurablade » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:52 pm

"WOLVES" by candace savage
awesome photographs
how am i supposed to think outside of the box when they won't let me out?

sprintingfox08
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by sprintingfox08 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:10 am

My TV doesn't have sound now so I have to try and guess what the people are saying....(or i could just use the guest room TV......)
"I've got this sentimental heart that beats
but I don't really mind that it's starting to get to me"

sprintingfox08
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by sprintingfox08 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:11 am

Oh yeah i am also working on this story about a female wolf. It is about her life story and it is pretty interesting so far..
"I've got this sentimental heart that beats
but I don't really mind that it's starting to get to me"

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:11 pm

aurablade wrote:"WOLVES" by candace savage
awesome photographs
Candace Savage wrote another wolf-related book, titled "The World of the Wolf." I found it in my school library. Check it out!
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Rin
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:10 pm

I don't mean to be rude or act like a moderater here, but could we get a bit back on topic? I believe the OP was originally asking for non-fictional sources. There are plenty of fictional wolf book threads (I think there are like 4 on the front page alone) where they can be posted.

Like I said, mean no offense, but I'd like to know more about non-fictional stuff here. :)

Back on topic: I remember seeing a documentary about this man who did have captured wolves (I'm not sure why) in a large encloser. There was the alpha pair who had their pups, and for some reason the daughter took over, becoming the new alpha female with her father, while the mother I think died. The daughter died later on along with some other wolves in the pack due to a disease that he tried to help them with (he put the medicine in the meat) but they refused to eat it, so they died. Would anyone know the name of the documentary? I think it was on Discovery channel at one point. I do apologize if my description is too vague. I've just been wanting to see this documentary again, even though it involved captured wolves. There -was- a reason why they couldn't go out into the wild, I just forget. That, and it seemed the show was done like in the early 00's, but the actual filming took place earlier.

Woo. Sorry for that big block of text! If no one can read it, I'll try to fix it.