"Promise of the Wolves" by Dorothy Hearst

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

"Promise of the Wolves" by Dorothy Hearst

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:54 am

Promise of the Wolves was not the most realistic wolf book I've ever read, but it was indeed a great book. Set in two different stories in two different times (one about 40,000 years ago and one about 14,000 years ago), the two stories come together to tell one tale. In one story, a young wolf named Lydda befriends a human in her pack's struggle for survival (breaking the wolves' rules); in the other, a little pup named Kaala must struggle to survive in her next-to-unloving adopted pack, whose leader forced her true mother away. Although it certainly isn't all that realistic, the story is centered almost directly on wolves, and teaches a lesson nontheless. I thought it was incredible.

What do the others think of Promise of the Wolves?
Last edited by -x- Silvie -x- on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
_______________Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ S I L V I E Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
___________-___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
_______________--BladeTheWolf00's Sister
______________________-_~-*-~
__________________"Patience is a virtue,
_________________-_love is a value."
_____________sig © me /\ av © Koa (Thanks!)
___________________-_previously BooboosPiggy

Moon-Light-Shadow

Re: "Promise of the Wolves" by Dorothy Hearst

Post by Moon-Light-Shadow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:00 pm

I LOVE this book, iv'e read it about 4-5 times! Its still Great! im gonna read it Once again!. i Cannot wait till "Secrets of the Wolves" Comes out! :D
"Promise of the wolves" Is like my Fav Book Ever! i Love it, its so well put together.! :mrgreen:

WildKid81
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WildKid81 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:26 pm

It was an amazing book, and I loved it. I actually got to meet the author at a wolf event... it was so cool!

-Glacier-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Glacier- » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 am

I think there's already a topic about this book;
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=321106

Anyways, I haven't read it yet, maybe I'll check it out at the library someday. ^^
.............X // GLACIER \\ X
......» Run to live » Live to run »
.Loyal member of Undine Falls Pack
Undine Falls PMoTM December 2009

..Avatar © Hiedidog! Thank you! ♥

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:25 am

Moon-Light-Shadow wrote:I LOVE this book, iv'e read it about 4-5 times! Its still Great! im gonna read it Once again!. i Cannot wait till "Secrets of the Wolves" Comes out! :D
"Promise of the wolves" Is like my Fav Book Ever! i Love it, its so well put together.! :mrgreen:
Hm, there's a new one coming out soon? I knew it was a series, but I didn't know if a sequel was out yet or not. I'll definitely have to look into that, thanks! ^^
-Glacier- wrote:I think there's already a topic about this book;
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=321106

Anyways, I haven't read it yet, maybe I'll check it out at the library someday. ^^
There is? I didn't see one. ^^ But thanks for that, I'll check it out. Therefore, you may of course feel free to lock this if you see fit, moderators. :3

Edit: The topic you suggested to me, -Glacier-, is dead. The last post was in February; no wonder I didn't find it! :3 But thanks anyway, I did find some helpful things out. ^^

Moon-Light-Shadow

Post by Moon-Light-Shadow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:13 pm

BooboosPiggy wrote:
Moon-Light-Shadow wrote:I LOVE this book, iv'e read it about 4-5 times! Its still Great! im gonna read it Once again!. i Cannot wait till "Secrets of the Wolves" Comes out! :D
Hm, there's a new one coming out soon? I knew it was a series, but I didn't know if a sequel was out yet or not. I'll definitely have to look into that, thanks! ^^
Yeah, but not soon. it'll be out like next august :cry: i really cant wait tho, it's gonna be soo hard waiting for it, lol.

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:42 am

Hm, that's odd, I heard it would be out in 2010. Oh well. ^^

-Glacier-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Glacier- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't realize that topic was dead.

I just found the author's official website. If anyone's interested in looking at it, here's the link: http://www.dorothyhearst.com/

I also noticed she mentions WolfQuest in the "Learn About Wolves" (http://www.dorothyhearst.com/hearst-wolf-links.htm) section on the website, which is pretty neat. ^^
.............X // GLACIER \\ X
......» Run to live » Live to run »
.Loyal member of Undine Falls Pack
Undine Falls PMoTM December 2009

..Avatar © Hiedidog! Thank you! ♥

ArisenFlames
Name: Ari, Flames, Flame

Post by ArisenFlames » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 am

I've read the book before and I do not think it's very realistic, as wolves would not talk to humans and all that. However, I do think it has a great storyline, and a great ending. It was what inspired me to write my first story of 11 chapters.

Fierceclaw

Post by Fierceclaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:19 pm

I love this book too. It rocks! The only thing I don't get is the ending waht are the great wolves not telling them? I don't get it . If you can help pm me please.
-Fierceclaw

favagelx2
Pup
Pup

Post by favagelx2 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:07 am

Ah. I actually liked this more I could've thought. I look forward to the second part of the book.

April

Post by April » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:28 pm

I own this book-I read it a long long time ago yet I havent' seen or heard anything of the second book for years! And this was 5 years ago I read it!
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Moon-Light-Shadow

Post by Moon-Light-Shadow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 pm

-Glacier- wrote:Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't realize that topic was dead.

I just found the author's official website. If anyone's interested in looking at it, here's the link: http://www.dorothyhearst.com/

I also noticed she mentions WolfQuest in the "Learn About Wolves" (http://www.dorothyhearst.com/hearst-wolf-links.htm) section on the website, which is pretty neat. ^^

She has it in the Back of the Book; Saying good things about WQ.
In the back of the Book she said she learnt most of everything she knows about wolves from Yellowstone and Stuff. Like People helped her. ^^

April wrote:I own this book-I read it a long long time ago yet I havent' seen or heard anything of the second book for years! And this was 5 years ago I read it!
Its coming out in August. ^^ I looked on Amazon a while back.
Its Gonna be Called: Secret of the Wolves.
You can look at it here: http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Wolves-No ... 573&sr=1-1
I'm probably going to buy it; I can't wait any longer then a Month xD

EDIT: Here, I'll just put this:
Product Description
Years of research into the world of wolves combines with mythical tale-telling to present a fantastical adventure set in a world filled with lore. The rules of the Wide Valley wolves were clear: Never consort with humans; never kill a human unprovoked; never allow a mixed-blood wolf to live. But they were rules destined to be broken.
Now, in the second riveting installment of The Wolf Chronicles the stakes are higher than ever. Young Kaala of the Swift River pack shattered the rules of the valley and exposed the lies hidden beneath them. Now, responsibility for the consequences rests with her. Along with her young packmates and the humans they have befriended, she must find a way for the wolves and humans of the Wide Valley to live in harmony. If they succeed, Kaala will finally prove herself worthy of her pack. But if she fails, the Greatwolves who rule wolf-kind will kill every wolf and human in the valley.

Told from the wolf ’s point-of-view and set 14,000 years ago in a time when the cultures of wolves and humans were not so different, Secrets of the Wolves transports us to a world where instincts are our only compass and cooperation between potential enemies could mean the difference between life and death.

About the Author
Previously a senior editor at Jossey-Bass, where she published books for nonprofit, public, and social change leaders, Dorothy Hearst currently lives and writes in Berkeley, California. Visit the author's website at www.dorothyhearst.com.

Wolf_Lover01
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf_Lover01 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Its a really good book, I read it a couple times
.________________ K i p c h a
______________a v v i e :: R i v e r 6
________________s i g :: c r u p i

__W e chicken i t e :: http://thestoneden.proboards.com

Fierceclaw

Post by Fierceclaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:38 pm

yeah it is a good book but i've only read it once i've been re-reading all the books in my collection and i've got a lot of books! :D

Return to “Wolf Multimedia”