A Man Among Wolves - National Geographic Documentary

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

A Man Among Wolves - National Geographic Documentary

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:12 pm

I couldn't help but post one if my favorite wolf documentaries from National Geographic. ^^ The story of
A Man Among Wolves.
Here is a quick overview of what this story is really about:
A Man Among Wolves is the unique and unusual story of a man who joins a pack of wolves—living among them, behaving like them— in order to better understand and ultimately help save one of man's most feared predators in the wild. Witness the incredible story of how Shaun Ellis spent a year and a half raising three abandoned wolf pups by immersing himself in their world as an accepted leader and teaching them by example how to survive in the wild.
http://mshop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs ... tid=284986
Delve into the unique story of a maverick researcher named Shaun Ellis who raises abandoned wolf cubs and teaches them by example how to survive in the wild.

In "A Man Among Wolves," see how Shaun has given up everything to take a daring and unorthodox approach to understanding wolves? every move?living and behaving like them, howling, licking, and snarling like them, even eating carcass meat like them. This one-hour special documents this man's incredible journey to better grasp the complex nature of wolf society by immersing himself in their world as their accepted leader.
http://flower.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -2008.html

I do believe it is still able to be purchased. But either way, this immersing video is amazing. You can view the Trailer here:
Last edited by BlackWarrior on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

CloeWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: A Man Among Wolves - National Geographic Documentary

Post by CloeWolf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:20 pm

I remember watching this one! It was almost impossible to find! I really enjoyed it. It's amazing how much of a bond he formed with those pups!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
--Gandhi

Mr Wolf25
Pup
Pup

Post by Mr Wolf25 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Wow!, I do remember this one about Shaun Ellis, but I do remember it by another title, "The Wolfman" was the one I knew, it's the same documentary where he raises Matsi, Tamaska and Yana.
Mr Wolf25
Member of Storm Point Pack (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60294)
Banishing Winds Pack (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45840)

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Mr Wolf25 wrote:Wow!, I do remember this one about Shaun Ellis, but I do remember it by another title, "The Wolfman" was the one I knew, it's the same documentary where he raises Matsi, Tamaska and Yana.

I do believe this documentary was also called "The Wolfman" at one point. ^^
I find this story extraordinary. Especially the way the wolves accepted him and practically treated him as family. It really shows the social nature and bonds of wolves. Their family structure is amazing.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 pm

I think it was dubbed as "The Wolfman" - it's really interesting to get a human perspective of a wolf's life. It's really an interesting and educational documentary in all due respect -- I watched a repeat of this on TV a few times with my dad, and agreed with BW that their pack structure is significant.

Really the stuff of dedication and patience, to be able to wind a pack around your little finger and to become the top dog... :| I'll certainly be keeping my eye to the internet for further activity from Shaun's adventures. ^^

Thanks for sharing BlackWarrior. :)
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

LeaderOfDreams
Yearling
Yearling

Post by LeaderOfDreams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

It's really nice to see Shaun Ellis getting mentioned on a site dedicated to wolves, as he has dedicated his life to them. I've read his biography and his other 2 books. What he did was so brave to leave his family, children and life behind to search for wolves in the Rocky Mountains. Spending 6 months of his life in the wilderness, just to experience life with un captive wolves.

Thanks for sharing!

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:45 am

No worries you two. ^^ and im glad to see that so many people have gotten the chance to see this movie, as it is quite amazing..
I do remember following the show series they had on Animal Planet many years ago, but I haven't seen any of his other adventures yet. (If there are more? )

I'm due to watch it again. I'm just not sure where to find it.

Mr Wolf25
Pup
Pup

Post by Mr Wolf25 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Apparently this shows has two versions, and that explains its two names.
The US version is "A Man Among Wolves"
and the British version is "The Wolfman"
Mr Wolf25
Member of Storm Point Pack (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60294)
Banishing Winds Pack (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45840)

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 pm

OH ya i saw that in youtube tyat lives with a pack a wolves and learns about them and also eat raw meat Yuck disgusting
If u did that ill throw up like there no tomorrow