Best wolf/werewolf books you've read?

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Re: Best wolf/werewolf books you've read?

Post by psy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm helping a friend that wants to make a wolf series. She's calling it The Spirit of the Wolves, and I'm making the characters. My friend, who is the real author, is in full control on what happens to the characters.
Basically, the story is about a wolf named Max, who was neglected when he was born into the strongest pack in Amethyst Mountain because he had tan fur, and his pack members had black or white fur. Later on, he's on a quest to save his former mate from an evil wolf, who also leads a dangerous pack bent on conquering nearly every wolf pack in Yellowstone.
Of course, it's a series (I said that). I read a bit of the unfinished first book, and it seems amazing. Astonishing.

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

_Nimbus_
Pup
Pup

Post by _Nimbus_ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Myarru wrote:
Katemarie123 wrote:I have read some of the wolves of the beyond and I really liked it.Sorry that my comment was short but I am a wolf lover and I will try out that book.
I have heard of Wolves of the Beyond before. I'm starting to read Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega Novel #1) and Bitten (Women of the Other World #1). Cry Wolf seems to be a little more on the fantasy side, so far, and a little far fetched. While Bitten seems to be at a even pace and on more 'realistic' terms (despite it being a werewolf book).

I don't know enough about each book to say enough about it...I took a break from reading it and will probably start back up when school starts.
I love the Wolves of the beyond series!
Shh, shh, do you hear that? Those are the winds of change.

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:58 pm

I used to read the Wolves of the Beyond series when I was younger, but I finished it. It was a really good series and I enjoyed it, except all the ranks and clans got me confused a lot when I read it.

And I am finishing up reading the Twilight Saga: New Moon right now (Don't judge me they aren't that bad!). I'm not one of those crazy Twi-Hards so don't be scared of me lol :) . But I guess you could say I'm team Jacob if I'm on this forum obviously, and I love werewolves (shapshifters) more than vampires by a MILE.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:31 am

Two really good book series are The sight & it's sequel fell and the shiver series
Go your own way

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Where to start? So many GREAT werewolf books out there:

- Wolf Hunt 1 and 2 by Jeff Strand [contains adult themes...and has very graphical violence]
- Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn
- The werewolf series by Terry Spear [adult themes]
- Raised by Wolves series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- Frostbite and Overwinter by David Wellingston
- Wolf Gift chronicles by Anne Rice [always a classic...]
- Werewolf Cop by Andrew Klavan
- Ebon Moon by Dennis McDonald
- Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs
- Ravenous by Ray Garton [Contains extreme adult themes and violence. Not for the faint of heart, this one.]
- Curse of the Full Moon (A Werewolf Anthology with stories from many authors)
- Howling at the Moon by Karen MacInerney -- Warning: Contains Adult themes
- On the Prowl by Karen MacInerney -- Warning: Contains Adult themes
- Leader of the Pack by Karen MacInerney-- Warning: Contains Adult themes
- Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
- The Last Werewolf and Tallula Rising by Glen Duncan [Adult themes]

Also read all other books that were mentioned here.

As for fictional wolf books (besides the ones already mentioned):

- Promise of the Wolves trilogy by Dorothy Hearst (The first two books were good, the third one ruined the whole trilogy for me...so be warned)
- Anything by Jack London (call of the wild, white fang...)
DerpBacon wrote:I'm helping a friend that wants to make a wolf series. She's calling it The Spirit of the Wolves, and I'm making the characters. My friend, who is the real author, is in full control on what happens to the characters.
Basically, the story is about a wolf named Max, who was neglected when he was born into the strongest pack in Amethyst Mountain because he had tan fur, and his pack members had black or white fur. Later on, he's on a quest to save his former mate from an evil wolf, who also leads a dangerous pack bent on conquering nearly every wolf pack in Yellowstone.
Of course, it's a series (I said that). I read a bit of the unfinished first book, and it seems amazing. Astonishing.
So....the wolves are racist? (Against wolves of different colour). Not sure that will fly with publishers if your friend is looking to get, well, published.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Kyrinth
Pup
Pup
Location: Texas - a state that harbors warm winters and even warmer summers

Post by Kyrinth » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:25 pm

The best wolf books I've read are The Sight by David Clement-Davies and Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst. The Sight would have to be my favorite of the two; I would definitely recommend it to those who enjoy content that's dark, exciting, and mysterious.
✿ Treason on Lioden ✿
✿ Ottavia on WolfHaven ✿

✿ Avatar by Clementine (WolfHaven) ✿
✿ A returning player (started playing back in 2009) ✿

Legendary Sucker
Name: Ruff

Post by Legendary Sucker » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm a fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, so I'm suspicious to talk about this book, but it is as awesome as its big. I read it like four years ago, and I don't remember much of the history, but also I never found it again. I just remember it was about mistery and solving crimes (I looove it with passion) AND about werewolves. The name is Sangue de Lobo and it was written by Helena Gomes and Rosana Rios (both Brazilian)
The second one is Blood and Chocolate, written by Annette Curtis Klause, I liked it too, but it's not as good as the first one.
ℒιჩεятέ

▻▹ We believe ourselves redeemers, avengers, saviors. ◃◅
We dream of leaving our stamp upon the world...
▻▹ ...even as we give our lives in a conflict ◃◅
that will be recorded in no history book.

ƛℓℓ тнαт ωє ძσ, αℓℓ тнαт ωє αяє, вєɢɪηs αηძ єηძs ωɪтн σursєℓvєs

Av/Sig © Sobakka/Me

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:53 pm

I don't think these were mentioned so I will post a few here:
Jane Lindskold's series, with intelligent wolves and other animals and the main character was raised by these wolves. The first book in the series is Through Wolf's Eyes.
The others are werewolf books
The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon (by far my fav werewolf book)
Coming in a close second to the Wolf's Hour would be the Books By Kelley Armstrong. She has a whole series though I have only read the werewolf centric ones of which Bitten is the first. She really writes them as wolves when in wolf-form and seems to know a good bit about wolves.
The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber is an excellent werewolf book. A bit different as there is no transformation involved but it can actually make you believe that these creatures exist.I think the book is out of print currently but if you can find a copy it is well worth the read.
Wilding Nights by Lee Killough is another good one with a bit of a different spin on werewolves.
Blood Trail by Tanya Huff is actually part of a vampire series but this one (book #2) centers around a pack of werewolves and is quite good.

All I can think of off the top of my head and comprises my list of favs. I know I have a few others at home that are also good but I would have to double check the titles/authors.

Samber
Name: Akira

Post by Samber » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:16 am

"The Sight (The Sight #1)"
That was like the best book EVER! I might get "Fell (The Sight #2)" very soon! :lol:
─ are you calling me a sinner?
av©lupinz
x
X
X

not active anymore

Geronino
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Ari!

Post by Geronino » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:12 pm

I liked Wolven. Woody (the second protagonist) is a reverse werewolf, which means he turns into a human instead of a wolf. It's pretty interesting, but I can't remember who wrote it.
`·.`·.`·.`·.`·.(`·.¸ ¸.·´).·´.·´.·´.·´.·´
ι нανє ησт ƒαιє
ι'νє נυѕт ƒσυη 10,000 ωαуѕ тнαт ωση'т ωσяк
`.¸¸.`.¸¸.´¯`.¸¸.´.¸¸.´
:: av/sig/quote/LupinzPack/Samber/Thomas A. Edison ::

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:18 pm

The Chemist wrote:I liked Wolven. Woody (the second protagonist) is a reverse werewolf, which means he turns into a human instead of a wolf. It's pretty interesting, but I can't remember who wrote it.
Google reveals that Di Toft is the author, assuming you are referring to this.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Geronino
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Ari!

Post by Geronino » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Yep, that's the one! I was just too lazy to look it up, but I should've. :/
`·.`·.`·.`·.`·.(`·.¸ ¸.·´).·´.·´.·´.·´.·´
ι нανє ησт ƒαιє
ι'νє נυѕт ƒσυη 10,000 ωαуѕ тнαт ωση'т ωσяк
`.¸¸.`.¸¸.´¯`.¸¸.´.¸¸.´
:: av/sig/quote/LupinzPack/Samber/Thomas A. Edison ::

Stiles Stilinski
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Stiles Stilinski » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:59 am

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.
"Sarcasm is my only defense"

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:10 am

Fiction? Maybe a tossup between Wolves of the Beyond by Kathryn Lasky or The Sight by David Clement Davies. Both are right good imo for different reasons (: Non-fiction would undoubtedly be The Last Wild Wolves by Ian McAllister, an AMAZING read.
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

fruit
Pup
Pup

Post by fruit » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:22 am

I've read a book called Firstborn, which is a book about wolves in Yellowstone. The wolves in the book actually go to Slough Creek like in WolfQuest. The whole book is in a bird's eye view, literally. The book is all in the point of view of Maggie the magpie, who befriends Blue Boy the wolf and stays with him and his growing back. A bit unrealistic, but definitely a good read!