Anyone read promise of the wolves?

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.
Double U
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Anyone read promise of the wolves?

Post by Double U » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:44 pm

of course not all stories have to be realistic, an author can bend reality however he/she wants to; it's not absolutely neccessary to follow the rules of real life to make it a good book
Through Success, we gain Prize
Through Failure, we gain Knowledge
Through Knowledge, we gain Success
Through Failure, we gain Success
Through Failure, we gain Prize
--by me

April

Post by April » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:11 pm

I'v finished reading it now. Well acsually a long time ago. But no I don't like it as much as The Sight. The Sight is just more intresting for me I guess because it's about love. I don't know I just like The Sight better. But I do enjoy reading Promise Of The Wolves as well.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:33 pm

Promise of the Wolves isn`t as original as The Sight in my opinion...Like SPOILER BELOW

the leader male kills the pups in a made up reality for the story line-which seemed like something from a role play game- and the wolf`s view of the world isn`t what I`d describe as wolfish. for instance, Kaala calls spears sharpsticks but can use time reffrence such as minutes and hours...which doesn`t make any sense...also the writing style is not very rythmic or poetic, so it doesn`t flow very well off the page. Like its intresting story but not the best wolf book. The Sight was far more original in my opinion and the author made the story flow nicely.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

tasha
Yearling
Yearling

Post by tasha » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:31 am

I've read this book, and i found it to be good, more of a fantasy book, though. I've never read the sight, but i want too! I've read white fang and call of the wild, these are pretty good, but.... Well, its hard to explain, but there's also something about them i don't like.
Taffine

TheSpiritoftheWolf
Pup
Pup
Location: Currently in my den sadly awaiting the fact that I must return to school in a few hours...

Post by TheSpiritoftheWolf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:57 am

pawnee wrote:Promise of the Wolves isn`t as original as The Sight in my opinion...Like SPOILER BELOW

the leader male kills the pups in a made up reality for the story line-which seemed like something from a role play game- and the wolf`s view of the world isn`t what I`d describe as wolfish. for instance, Kaala calls spears sharpsticks but can use time reffrence such as minutes and hours...which doesn`t make any sense...also the writing style is not very rythmic or poetic, so it doesn`t flow very well off the page. Like its intresting story but not the best wolf book. The Sight was far more original in my opinion and the author made the story flow nicely.

Y'know, pawnee, for a forum mod you really are kind of insensitive. Some people who might've not read the book yet that want to don't want spoilers unless they are stupid people who have no business reading.
Promise of the Wolves is also Dorothy Hearst's first novel. So don't get on the whole 'unoriginal story line' thing, it is hard to make an original. I know from experience.
Along with that, there were many plot twists within the book that one wouldn't expect from your everyday fantasy novel. In my honest opinion, Promise of the Wolves is one of the best books i've read and am thinking about hounding D. Hearst on her website about how far she's gotten on her next installment of The Wolf Chronicles!
)........(\_
( (....._/{"-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\
FFFF00
00BF40
FFFF80
Proud Alpha Male of Articspack
Proud member of Night Star Pack
Known on Multiplayer as Kaalen
My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SpiritoftheWolf28232

DreamWind
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DreamWind » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:20 am

I'm new to this community thing... I just wanted to say that I really wanted to read "Promise of the Wolves." My best friend has, she said it was really good. I hope I get to read it sometime. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Welcome the wind and the wisdom she offers
Follow her summons when she calls again
In your heart and your spirit let the breezes surround you
Lift up your voice then and sing with the wind - John Denver

W-witty
I-intelligent
N-nice
D-dangerous

-The hooded circlets of icy blue take on a sly gleam as her tassle thrashes frantically-

TheSpiritoftheWolf
Pup
Pup
Location: Currently in my den sadly awaiting the fact that I must return to school in a few hours...

Post by TheSpiritoftheWolf » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Along with my earlier rant, in 'The Sight', to which i agree is a good book, Larka counts time in minutes, hrs., days and so on, but calls the humans' swords metal sticks. Plz come up with a better argument... if u can.
)........(\_
( (....._/{"-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\
FFFF00
00BF40
FFFF80
My YouTube Channel:

April

Post by April » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:55 am

pawnee wrote:Promise of the Wolves isn`t as original as The Sight in my opinion...Like SPOILER BELOW

I agree. The Sight was also a much more intresting story and had me sitting on my edge the whole time.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

TheSpiritoftheWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by TheSpiritoftheWolf » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:58 am

I do not disagree that the sight was a good book, I just think that Dorothy Hearst did an incredible job for her first novel.
)........(\_
( (....._/{"-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\
FFFF00
00BF40
FFFF80
My YouTube Channel:

Fire Eternal
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Fire Eternal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

I saw it in Borders - and now I want to read it!
---------------------------[ FIRE ! ]
---___________________________

--I'm gonna live like every day's my last,
--gonna be the one to come out laughing.

-I'm gonna laugh like every joke's my best,
----gonna be the one to come out living.

---___________________________

----[ ETERNAL ! ]

TheSpiritoftheWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by TheSpiritoftheWolf » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Hopefully none of these posts will influence your thinking on how the book is.
)........(\_
( (....._/{"-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\
FFFF00
00BF40
FFFF80
My YouTube Channel:

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:24 pm

I warned for spoilers...and don`t call people stupid its not very nice. the review was of my personal opinion, I`m not asking people to like or dislike the book. if we all liked the same thing the world would be pretty borring.

I don`t recall The Sight having a time reffrence in minutes/hours...atleast not by the wolves. They said moon or suns for a reffrence to days last time I read it, but I need to re-read it so maybe I`m wrong.

The author is a first time writer, but she is also an editor too, I was just expecting a lot more from someone who seemed to prmosing in the craft. I`m disapointed with the book. I liked Wolf of Shadows or The Sight better. The first is like reading a book from a wolf`s view point of the world...while the second is more fanatasy. I found Promise of the wolves a little dry. but once agian this is my opinion of what I`v read.
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

TheSpiritoftheWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by TheSpiritoftheWolf » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Question Pawnee, do you like LOTR, by J.R.R. Tolkien? Just wondering, it will relate to the topic in the end though.
)........(\_
( (....._/{"-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\
FFFF00
00BF40
FFFF80
My YouTube Channel:

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:12 pm

I read all the JRR books...personally I like the movies better. some parts had way to much talking in it for my liking but the concept was intresting. I kind of found frodo as a weak character....but I did like it.

anyways, sorry if I sounded rude or belittling in my earlier rant, I didn`t intend for my review to come across that way. :P

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:27 pm

I would like to read this. I have only read a few books about wolves and I am trying to find more. Next time I go to a book shop I will probably look around for this.