what do wolves have to go through to get territory?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Whitewolflover1993
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

what do wolves have to go through to get territory?

Post by Whitewolflover1993 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:56 pm

well im wondering this because i read somewhere that dispersal wolves dont want to bring attention to themselves but if they dont want to bring attention to themselves then how do they go about makeing a home for hemselves?

Dewfrost
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: what do wolves have to go through to get territory?

Post by Dewfrost » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:03 pm

Dispersal wolves are wolves which are constantly on a search for a mate. They travel around trying to find that certain special wolf, so they wouldn't need to bother with setting up a den and such.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MeginoRAWR

My lashes are dry, purple teardrops I cry.

♦ WolfQuest User Of The Month September 2009

wolflover1
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolflover1 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:50 pm

I think they look for a mate first,then establish territory. But I'm probably wrong.
"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice, to deceive!"
-Walter Scott; Marmion

Snakes rock.

I A Series of Unfortunate Events!

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Depends, wolves are oppertunitstic. If they find a mate before they establish a turf of their own, then they`ll look for one or defend on together. But a lone wolf/dispersal might live on the fringes of a pack territory and if a wolf of the oppsoite gender also wants to disperse, they could set move out together.

really depends on the individual, some might stick around and wait to breed while others will go in search. The area must generally be free of other wolves, or not so close to rival packs.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

CrystaClem
Pup
Pup
Location: If my posts sound exaggerated, try rereading. It's probably just my stylized discriptiveness.

Post by CrystaClem » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Whitewolflover1993 wrote:well im wondering this because i read somewhere that dispersal wolves dont want to bring attention to themselves but if they dont want to bring attention to themselves then how do they go about makeing a home for hemselves?
If a single dispersal wolf runs into a pack, they will usually leave him injured unless he is smart enough to get away fast. If he wants to claim territory, first he needs an able mate. They then help each other on their quest for a territory. Usually they can just claim territory by making a "better" scent mark than the wolves living there. If they run into each other, two may fight to claim the spot. This is where having a mate and family really helps. Occasionally a wolf will find a territory nobody has marked yet. Then it is just a simple matter of claiming land.
i don't wanna go through the motions
i don't wanna go one more day
without
Your all-consuming passion inside of me
i don't wanna spend my whole life asking
what if i had given
everything
instead of going through the motions

Return to “Wolf Q&A”