Do wolves mate for life?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

User avatar
Razaline
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:36 am

Do wolves mate for life?

Post by Razaline » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm not sure? I mean, in a pack would the alpha just mate with all the girls? Like lions?
ik'tah
within the coma
of a grating misery;
i will stand alone

Haiku

User avatar
April
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:23 pm
Gender: Female
Location: In the midst of a storm
Contact:

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by April » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Razaline wrote:I'm not sure? I mean, in a pack would the alpha just mate with all the girls? Like lions?

I think so...unless one dies.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:40 pm

I think that only the breeding pair, or alpha male and female, mate in a pack.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Avatar is copyright Koa

User avatar
April
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:23 pm
Gender: Female
Location: In the midst of a storm
Contact:

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by April » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:41 pm

SolitaryHowl2008 wrote:I think that only the breeding pair, or alpha male and female, mate in a pack.

That's not always the case. If food is abundant other members of the pack may mate.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:22 pm

April wrote:
SolitaryHowl2008 wrote:I think that only the breeding pair, or alpha male and female, mate in a pack.

That's not always the case. If food is abundant other members of the pack may mate.
Yes, but the question was if only the Alpha male would mate with the other females. I would think the other males would be able to mate as well...
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Avatar is copyright Koa

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:43 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Czechosylvania

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by Songdog » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:10 pm

I'm not sure if there is a reliable answer for you. Depending on what you read, or what TV program you watch, it will tell you something different.
After Mating, pairs will continue to be affectionate. Although wolves often have long-lasting attachments to thier mates, if one wolf dies, the widowed mate may breed with another wolf. In addition, some males may bond to different females in different years, destroying the long-held "mate for life" myth.
I think as a general answer: Wolves are monogamous. They do not mate with multiple wolves; the breeding pair usually stick together and fiercely guard their breeding rights. Only one pair breeds per year, unless there is a disruption in dominance or shift in power. They more or less choose the same mate each year. If a mate dies, the wolf generally takes a new mate.

In contrast to say a male lion, which will mate with all females, or a squirrel which has a different mate each year.

User avatar
SoulOfAWolf
Pup
Pup
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:17 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Playing SC nonstop

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by SoulOfAWolf » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:32 pm

I've watched several programs but here's what I've found:

The breeding pair stick together and are the only ones that breed. Sometimes others may breed and the alpha pair choose whether to kill or live. Most of the time if they allow them to live (most likely if food source is abundant), they take over parenting responsibilities and punish the true parents.

Just what I've found, not sure if true
Thank you SO much for SC! It was definitely worth the wait. Great job <3

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by pawnee » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:59 pm

from what I`v read, wolves don`t mate for life though they do show prefrences to certain inviduals. one pair in a European zoo raised pups together for seven years. but say, if one breeding invidual dies or gets overthrown, then they the other breeding wolf just accepts the new mate. Of course, if an animal thinks another is flawed in some way, they might refuse to mate, for instance most female animals will refuse a sickly looking male to mate with them.

but in captivty there are cases of more than one female bearing a litter, whether the litter survives depends on the rank status of the lesser female. a wolf pack in a non fictional book ,Shadow Mountain expirenced such an instance and the yearling wolves brought out the lesser female`s pups from the den. the pups died from exposure to the elements...

but wolf packs do accept pups that aren`t from the leader pair...and with lots of food avalible or no competition from other predators/packs, the wolves might produce a second or third litter. though this needs more research....
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

User avatar
OceanWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:34 am
Gender: Male
Location: The same place I will always be, Earth

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by OceanWolf » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:32 am

From my research, Wolves will mate for life. There have been websites that have said otherwise, but most said they do. However if one of the wolves dies, the other is known to find a new mate.
/------------海狼------------------------------------\
{Bioluminescences, the light in the darkness.}
\--------------------------------------海狼----------/
~People need to stop trying to change the world, and do there best to keep it the way it is~

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:43 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Czechosylvania

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by Songdog » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:10 pm

Songdog wrote:Depending on what you read, or what TV program you watch, it will tell you something different.

User avatar
Snowmuzzle
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:14 am
Gender: Female
Location: Under the bed

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by Snowmuzzle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Razaline wrote:I'm not sure? I mean, in a pack would the alpha just mate with all the girls? Like lions?
With lions, all the females are related, but the male is an unrelated outsider who comes in. With wild wolves, most of the pack members are of one family, with the "alpha" pair being the main breeders. So if the alpha male mated with all the females, he'd probably be mating with his daughters.
Thou shalt not put musicians on ridiculous pedestals, no matter how great they are... or were.

User avatar
born_to_fight
Pup
Pup
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:19 am
Location: Far underground trying to rule the world... aka Australia...

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by born_to_fight » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:01 pm

No wolves dont mate 4 life cuz they have 1 female who is their mate and he only mates with her.... hehe!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: hope this message helps!
Eat well ,, Stay fit ,, Die anyway... --&

Ragged has no love... <3

User avatar
CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:36 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Missouri

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by CLBaileyi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:10 pm

SongDog pretty much hit it on the head.

In most cases, there is a singe breeding pair in a wolf pack. However, Yellowstone wolves have shown us that this is not always the case, but again, Yellowstone is not the same as most other wolf packs in the wild.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Insane Izzy
Guest
Guest

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by Insane Izzy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:06 pm

In a pack it is most likely that only the alphas mate but if food is abundant then other pairs in the pack might mate as well. If one of the alphas die then the widowed wolf will probably take another mate. As loners, if one of the mating pair dies the widowed wolf may look for another mate, and if none is found, they will usually find a sibling with a mate and join their group or pack.

This is only the information I have gotten out of reliable reports/books.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:43 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Czechosylvania

Re: Do wolves mate for life?

Post by Songdog » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:20 pm

alycia pick wrote:In a pack it is most likely that only the alphas mate but if food is abundant then other pairs in the pack might mate as well. If one of the alphas die then the widowed wolf will probably take another mate. As loners, if one of the mating pair dies the widowed wolf may look for another mate, and if none is found, they will usually find a sibling with a mate and join their group or pack.

This is only the information I have gotten out of reliable reports/books.
Songdog wrote:I'm not sure if there is a reliable answer for you. Depending on what you read, or what TV program you watch, it will tell you something different.
After Mating, pairs will continue to be affectionate. Although wolves often have long-lasting attachments to thier mates, if one wolf dies, the widowed mate may breed with another wolf. In addition, some males may bond to different females in different years, destroying the long-held "mate for life" myth.
I think as a general answer: Wolves are monogamous. They do not mate with multiple wolves; the breeding pair usually stick together and fiercely guard their breeding rights. Only one pair breeds per year, unless there is a disruption in dominance or shift in power. They more or less choose the same mate each year. If a mate dies, the wolf generally takes a new mate.

In contrast to say a male lion, which will mate with all females, or a squirrel which has a different mate each year.

Locked

Return to “Wolf Q&A”