What diseases can wolves die from?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfpupsrule567
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

What diseases can wolves die from?

Post by wolfpupsrule567 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:47 am

Ok, my friend has a pet wolf (she lives in a big wide land in the country of alaska) and she has a pack of arctic wolves. Four died yesterday at 2:30 PM and she called and was bawling. I would like to know what diseases wolves die from. These were young and i mean young wolves. They werent hurt and they were about a year and a half old each of them. Please answer thanks!
Team Onewhisker!!! <333
"You would have died for us. Windclan will never forget that."
~ Onewhisker

Avvie By: Kodiak

I am glad my story inspired you, Kodiak! Thank you for letting me use it! :3

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Re: What diseases can wolves die from?

Post by Rikkuzilla » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:33 am

There is a possibility these wolves might have suffered from distemper. Does your friend have her wolves examined regularly by a wildlife vet? Distemper is highly contagious. Was there any lost of appetite, dehydration, or diarrhea?

The parvovirus is another disease that should be noted.

Rabies is another possibility---but its actually rarely found in wolves nowadays, believe it or not.

There's also the possibility of mange and internal parasites.
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:39 pm

I would say any disease a dog can get. so parvovirus, rabies, distemper, mange, not to mention all the parasites that dogs can get from eating dead things.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Don't forget infections from wounds/broken bones, cancer, stomach viruses, etc. Then of course a whole slue of intestinal parasite.

If a wolf's jaw gets broken or becomes infected, it is more or less a death sentence.

wolfpupsrule567
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wolfpupsrule567 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:09 am

the wolves did have diarrhea and dehydration. And no she doesnt, her mom is a vet and doesnt go near the wolves because she think that they will "Chew her face off" so she doesnt check them. She checks them from afar but thats it. My friend also notices that one of them was walking around with the blind staggers but wasnt foaming at the mouth.
Team Onewhisker!!! <333
~ Onewhisker

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:30 am

wolfpupsrule567 wrote:And no she doesnt, her mom is a vet and doesnt go near the wolves because she think that they will "Chew her face off" so she doesnt check them. She checks them from afar but thats it.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's quite irresponsible. First of all, you shouldn't be afraid of the animals you own. Second of all, even if you're afraid of them, they still require medical examinations and vaccinations...maybe the four deaths could've been prevented if they had just found some way to get the wolves to a vet for medical checkups.

My sympathies to the owners for their losses. :(
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:51 am

Maybe she was a pocket pet vet? who deals only with small animals...exotic or wild animals should be seen by someone who knows what their doing...atleast in my opinion...

anyways, I know that baby animals who are suffering from dehydration and starvation need to be fed with a substance...I can`t remember the name but its like an energy boost. as the baby animal can die simply trying to digest a meal...or atleast with baby kittens and puppies...I`m not sure if its the same with wolves.

soemtimes animals can be poisioned, either by accident or purposfully...but I think its rather fat fetched for an invidual to do that to a captive pack of wolves.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:35 am

As others have already said, any disease that affects the domestic dog will affect wolves.

Going off of the limited information given, it is too broad to diagnosis the problem. A probable diagnosis could be done by doing a necropsy, if the deaths happened fairly recently and the animals are not too decomposed-virus and chemicals stay in the body for long periods of time-in many tissues.

Another thing-it is NOT uncommon for some people to poison animals that are behind fences, so there is always that as a possibility. Many chemicals can be disguised and easily eaten by an animal.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

wolfpupsrule567
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wolfpupsrule567 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks everyone! -I just hope that the wolves that died werent Nitemare's pack- This helped alot!
Team Onewhisker!!! <333
~ Onewhisker

Return to “Wolf Q&A”