What do wolve do during storms?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

VanishingPawPrints
Yearling
Yearling

What do wolve do during storms?

Post by VanishingPawPrints » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Do wolves seek shelter during storms? I know that mother would go into the den with their pups, but the dens are too small to hold any other wolf. What about during Blizzards? What do wolves do then?
Avviy by Rapresentine
My wolves
sp: EarthEye and WaterGem, Elements and FireMist, AirJet and Wind, Vanish and WindPup
mp: Prints
Rebelutionary doing hard things

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: What do wolve do during storms?

Post by -Sheeba » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:17 pm

I believe in the case of a storm, rain or snow, a pack will sometimes go under trees for a partial shelter. If it is cold, they will huddle together for warmth.
This account is no longer active.

New account: Sheeba Wolf

Azalea
Pup
Pup

Post by Azalea » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:13 pm

People often forget that wolves are not dogs. Humans bred dogs for desirable traits, but in doing so, dogs lost a number of features. Many domesticated dogs have lost their ability to thrive in the wild. Wolves have not. Wolves are wild animals and as such are well suited to live outside.

Wolf coats have two layers with two different types of fur. The fur closest to the skin is fine and soft and made for insulation against cold. The outer hairs, or guard hairs, are long and coarse and made for waterproofing. Droplets of water will often roll off the outer hair, keeping the inner hair dry and warm. Because of this, they do not usually need to take shelter in rain or snow. Perhaps if there was a particularity violent storm wolves would take shelter like Sheeba said. The pups and probably the mother would have to take shelter, because pups don't get full adult hair coats until they are near maturity and need the mother to keep them warm, but the rest of a pack are equipped with the features they need to stay alive and well in foul weather. Though they would likely seek shelter in particularly powerful storm, in most weather they can continue with their daily activities.
“I named my left hand ‘desk’ for convenience.”

Wolf Rp Connection- http://wolfrpconnection.proboards.com

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:07 am

Supporting Azalea. Weather does not make an impact on the wolves everyday lives, they will continue acting socially within the pack and spending time with each other. They will hunt and play and be with each other, day or night, sunny or rainy.

Besides, wolves are very adaptable to different environments and settings and they can also deal with weather changes.

WOLF COAT

Wolves have two kinds of hairs. There are the long, stiff hairs of the outer coat, called "guard hairs". Wolves also have an "undercoat" of soft fur which grows thick in the winter and helps to insulate its body from the cold. This hair is shed in the spring and summer in large sheets and hunks.

The outer layer of hair lies in three "capes" on the wolf's back. These hairs grow in bundles and may be nearly five inches long. Water runs off a wolf's fur, keeping its underfur dry and warm. These layers of fur may be nearly two and a half inches thick and help keep a wolf warm even in temperatures reaching 40 degrees (F) below zero. The wolf will also use its tail to keep warm in winter by wrapping it around its face when lying down.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

VanishingPawPrints
Yearling
Yearling

Post by VanishingPawPrints » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks all! That answers the storm part. But what about blizzards? I'm not taking about heavy snow falls, I'm talking about a huge snow-storm with strong winds, snow so thick that you can't see 3 feet in front of you and freezing temperatures. I know that by the time winter comes around the pups would look more adults, and most likely would not fit into the den.
Last edited by VanishingPawPrints on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avviy by Rapresentine
My wolves
sp: EarthEye and WaterGem, Elements and FireMist, AirJet and Wind, Vanish and WindPup

April

Post by April » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:48 pm

I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure they would go under the trees, or a bush, or anything that would provide good shelter in the area. That's what I would do anyway. I don't know why wolves would be much different.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:14 pm

Arctic Wolves spend most of their lives in a colder, snowier environment - they are built to survive in the snowy, ice-crazed deserts. I suppose that if the environment change would be... drastic or life-threatening (a tornado or a heavy rainfall or a blizzard, like you described) they would perhaps seek out a bit more secure place. But snow-fall or rain does not really bother wolves. They are physically very well equipped, their thick and two-layered fur keeps them dry and warm during all seasons.

Snowmuzzle
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Snowmuzzle » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:14 am

In blizzards, I think they'll often get covered by the snow and be insulated by it: they'll weather it out underneath, and are kept warm by their fur and the layers of snow. Then afterwards, they'll dig themselves out.
Thou shalt not put musicians on ridiculous pedestals, no matter how great they are... or were.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Good point, Snowmuzzle.

I've noticed some sled-dogs in arctic areas (northern parts of Greenland, etc) that they simply lay curled up in the snow and the snow just sweeps over them. But since the fur is thick and woolly, it prevents the penetration of snow, cold air, and ice. I could imagine wolves adapting to the same kind of behavior if confronted by a strong blizzard or snowstorm.

VanishingPawPrints
Yearling
Yearling

Post by VanishingPawPrints » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:59 am

Thanks you all! That answers the last part of my question. Mod can lock.
Avviy by Rapresentine
My wolves