Are there wolf packs consisting only of females?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Kyla6
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Are there wolf packs consisting only of females?

Post by Kyla6 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:02 pm

hi this question has been bugging me for a while so...
Can there be a wolf pack consisting only of female wolves?
..What.

I do support the Alliance!

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Are there wolf packs consisting only of females?

Post by Canidae » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:27 pm

It's improbable but not impossible.

Most packs are formed when a dispersal male meets up with a dispersal female. I suppose if she were to give birth to only female pups or if all of the males in her litter died for some reason, then the father died somehow, this scenario could take place. This is a highly unlikely sequence of events, though.

If all of the females in the female-only pack were adults, I can't imagine the pack would stay in that state for very long. When the breeding season would come around and throw all the females into the annual hormonal hurricane, I imagine the tension and stress would prove too much for some of the younger members and the pack would split (especially considering there would be no reason to stay; no males in the pack means no chance of breeding, which is what all of the harsh female dominance is about).

But like I said, you probably won't ever see a female-only pack exist in the wild for more than a few weeks, unless it was comprised of a mother and her daughters and they were all closely bonded.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:24 pm

As mentioned before; most packs are made up of a biological mom, a biological dad, and their offspring. Sometimes offspring will stay with their natal pack for whatever reason and help rear other pups with their parents. It could be a mother/daughter, mother/sister, daughter/aunt, mother/grandmother relationship or such.

Would a wild pack of individual female wolves choose to form a pack with nonrelated females of another territory? no. This only happens in captive situations where non related wolves are forced to live with each other.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:53 pm

This was an interesting question, although I did not ask it. Thank you for the clarifications, Canidae and pawnee.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Question has been thoroughly answered.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”