Green-eyed Wolves?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Hazelmoon
Pup
Pup

Green-eyed Wolves?

Post by Hazelmoon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:18 pm

I've heard mixed opinions of this. One site claims that there are wolves with green eyes even if they're uncommon, but it appears as if their example of a wolf with green eyes has been edited, as the snow around the wolf has a greenish tint. I've never seen another picture of a green-eyed wolf, except on one site, also saying that green eyed wolves were uncommon, but their picture was only of an eye and because the fur surrounding the eye was a gold-ish color, I'm not sure if their eye was a wolf eye or not.
The Pack of Night Aspen Heights
Hazel~Moon
Coral~River~Midnight~Shadow

The Pack of Day Saddle Meadows
Gylifie~Talon
Ava~Ripple~Maple~Willow

The Pack of Sky Slough Creek
Storm~Flame
Rain(white pup~Basil~Lilly

Kivia

Re: Green-eyed Wolves?

Post by Kivia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible. Wolf eyes are shades of brown, yellow, etc., but never green. Pups usually have blue eyes, but the color slowly changes to an amber as the mature. Any adult wolf with blue eyes would probably be a wolf-dog hybrid.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:53 pm

At Wolf Park their was a wolf that had the transition colour inwhich Songdog was speaking of. I think her name was Miska(?) and one eye took longer to change colour so it remained parial blue until she was a year old.

Cataracts are not bright blue...I would describe it more of a milky film look on the eye if anything. One wolf in the documentary Living with Wolves had cataracts and it shows them operating on her.
Embry wrote:An adult male wolf usually weighs 75 to 120 pounds; females weigh between 60 and 95 pounds; wolves lose some insulating fat and shed much of their fur in the summer, and weigh less then. Also, wolves which live in the cold north are generally larger and heavier than wolves which live in warmer climates.

Wolves’ eyes range in color from gold to orange, and can also come in grey or green tints.
A tint does not mean the eye color itself is green, but may appear green in some lighting, as dark yellow can be mistaken for green.

Most times when you see a "blue eyed" wolf or a "green eyed" wolf, it's photoshop.

Hazelmoon
Pup
Pup

Post by Hazelmoon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:54 am

Yes, I'm almost sure that the picture with the wolf and green snow was photoshopped, as the wolf's eyes are a brilliant green in it. The other picture with only the eye may have been a real wolf eye, as it was yellow-green when I look back on it.
The Pack of Night Aspen Heights
Hazel~Moon
Coral~River~Midnight~Shadow

The Pack of Day Saddle Meadows
Gylifie~Talon
Ava~Ripple~Maple~Willow

The Pack of Sky Slough Creek
Storm~Flame
Rain(white pup~Basil~Lilly

shadowwolf966
Yearling
Yearling

Post by shadowwolf966 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Hum... maybe when their a pup, and their eyes are turning yellow, but still have some blue in it, it could look green... :? But i dont know if theirs such thing as a green-eyed wolf.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Shadow, proud to be a Tafuria of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../...........//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Siggie (c) Alpha Female

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:56 pm

Songdog wrote:
At Wolf Park their was a wolf that had the transition colour inwhich Songdog was speaking of. I think her name was Miska(?) and one eye took longer to change colour so it remained parial blue until she was a year old.

Cataracts are not bright blue...I would describe it more of a milky film look on the eye if anything. One wolf in the documentary Living with Wolves had cataracts and it shows them operating on her.
Embry wrote:An adult male wolf usually weighs 75 to 120 pounds; females weigh between 60 and 95 pounds; wolves lose some insulating fat and shed much of their fur in the summer, and weigh less then. Also, wolves which live in the cold north are generally larger and heavier than wolves which live in warmer climates.

Wolves’ eyes range in color from gold to orange, and can also come in grey or green tints.
A tint does not mean the eye color itself is green, but may appear green in some lighting, as dark yellow can be mistaken for green.

Most times when you see a "blue eyed" wolf or a "green eyed" wolf, it's photoshop.
Worthy of a quote.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Sunpack Dawn

Post by Sunpack Dawn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:10 pm

If its rare for wolves to have blue eyes then it would be the same for green. A tint is just a tint not actual green or blue color.
Maybe it would be just a little splash of yellow that looked like green but bright green or blue would either be a dog cross or photo shop or some other color work shop. Sorry if I repeated what Songdog said but I agree with her.

Analicia_213
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Analicia_213 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:33 pm

I don't think there are green or blue eyes wolves,wolves only have brown,yellow.But it's kinda rare to see blue eyes wolves.Sorry,but i almost know more about wolves :roll: ,i probaly agree with Songdog and Kivia.
Avvie @ Alakaru_1

당신이 느는 방 르십오.
Follow the ways you feel.

Signature @ Dark Light Ultra

Kittysaysmeow
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Kittysaysmeow » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:08 pm

What? :| In our newspaper there was a picture of a green eyed wolf in the article "wolves in Colorado?" It didn't look photoshopped or anything, because it had a full body picture that was pretty real looking, the wolf behind it had kind of tawny- amber eyes that had no color changing done to them, and nothing else in the picture was tinted. Was it real picture? :?
Spottedfur

I am mostly absent at the moment. This account most likely will stay open.

Kinnikins.tumblr.com

Avvyby Fawn

Analicia_213
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Analicia_213 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Kittysaysmeow wrote:What? :| In our newspaper there was a picture of a green eyed wolf in the article "wolves in Colorado?" It didn't look photoshopped or anything, because it had a full body picture that was pretty real looking, the wolf behind it had kind of tawny- amber eyes that had no color changing done to them, and nothing else in the picture was tinted. Was it real picture? :?
I don't think is real,someone made the picture,their not use photoshop,it a fake picuture,so their made other belived it.
Avvie @ Alakaru_1

당신이 느는 방 르십오.

Kittysaysmeow
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Kittysaysmeow » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:16 pm

ok thanks :3
Spottedfur

I am mostly absent at the moment. This account most likely will stay open.

Kinnikins.tumblr.com

Avvyby Fawn

Analicia_213
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Analicia_213 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Kittysaysmeow wrote:ok thanks :3
No problem.
Avvie @ Alakaru_1

당신이 느는 방 르십오.

SonyWolf

Post by SonyWolf » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:57 am

I think there are just wolves with amber-like color eyes. And I still support my opinion.

Silver Shadow
Pup
Pup

Post by Silver Shadow » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Yes pure breed wolves should only have amber yellow eyes. It may appear green or blue but with true wolves this can not happen unless a mutation but I heard a myth were dire wolves had green eyes.

A pack is like fudge...
Mostly sweet with a few nuts...

SAVE Invader Zim!!! Buy the Operation Doom DVD!!!

Thanks Snowfire of Web Earth Online for my avatar!

()_()
(.)
( \ \)3 <---Fear BuNNY!

Sunpack Dawn

Post by Sunpack Dawn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Hm.... I must say this is very interesting. A myth of Dire wolves with green eyes. Then again. A myth is a myth not necessarily truth.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”