a few wolf questions......

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

a few wolf questions......

Post by Maia Huntress » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Ok I just wanted to know what rufus means in Canis Rufus (Red Wolf). Also, why are gray wolves called gray wolves? Not all of them are gray! One last thing: can wolves ever be all one color, such as solid gray, solid black, solid brown, ect.?

StoneShadow

Re: a few wolf questions......

Post by StoneShadow » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 pm

1. i really dont know!
2. whos knows? maybe because all wolves primary coat, or guard hairs, not the ones showing, are all the traditional gray color?
3. i believe so... like white wolves are completely white i think.

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:30 pm

I'm not sure about the first two questions, but for your third one: No, a wolf cannot be one solid color. Although some white wolves may appear to look all white, if studied carefully, there are a few flaws with some flecks of other colors.
Songdog wrote:Even black and white wolves have impurities in their coats. Grey wolves generally have a pretty distinctive lighter underside and often a darker mark around their shoulders, usually some browns in there too.

*Taken from the topic "Can wolves be solid grey in color?" (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1090045) which is now locked.
This account is no longer active.

New account: Sheeba Wolf

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:42 pm

About the first question, "rufus" translates into "red" from Latin to English, since scientific names are basically the species' Latin name.

Maned_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Maned_Wolf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:14 pm

I have a question that fits into the first one,instead of making another topic I'll just ask here.

What does Arctos translate to? I just assumed it would mean arctic (Canis Lupus Arctos,Arctic Wolf) but bears have it in their latin names too (Ursus arctos)!
Hark! hear the howl that eats the moon alive!

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 am

What species of bear has that name? I know that just bear is "Ursur". So if it where say a Polar Bear then it would be "Ursur Arctos" (Arctos I would have thought-does mean arctic).
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:57 am

Wolfie10 wrote:What species of bear has that name? I know that just bear is "Ursur". So if it where say a Polar Bear then it would be "Ursur Arctos" (Arctos I would have thought-does mean arctic).
Ursus Arctos is actually the Brown Bear.

Arctos though, from what I looked up, could mean "North lands".

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Fidd/Randy/Bell

Post by Riceboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:58 am

Maia Huntress wrote:Ok I just wanted to know what rufus means in Canis Rufus (Red Wolf). Also, why are gray wolves called gray wolves? Not all of them are gray! One last thing: can wolves ever be all one color, such as solid gray, solid black, solid brown, ect.?
Hm..
  1. "Rufus" means "red", as "canis" is pretty obvious.
  2. Thats like asking why the great white shark is called a great white shark, though they are gray. It's probably because most of them are gray, or the first one seen/named was gray.
  3. They can't be a PURE color... there's always some lighter or darker shades around certain parts of their bodies.
I could use something to eat.
i am ossan

I'm really, really hungry.

cloudywolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by cloudywolf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:39 pm

1.it mean reddish-grey wolf of southwestern North America or something like that I'm not really sure to be honest but that is my best guess. 2.I am not really sure about that one sorry.3.Yes wolves can be a solid colour,although some have tips of small other colours but yes a wolf can be a solid colour such as Grey and White and Black.
I believe in freedom, and peace. But sometimes, you don't always get what you want. Don't believe lies, don't trust strangers who out of the blue talk to you, and beware of scams such as the 2012 lie. YOUR choices shape YOUR future.

~cloudywolf

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:41 am

cloudywolf wrote:1.it mean reddish-grey wolf of southwestern North America or something like that I'm not really sure to be honest but that is my best guess. 2.I am not really sure about that one sorry.3.Yes wolves can be a solid colour,although some have tips of small other colours but yes a wolf can be a solid colour such as Grey and White and Black.
No, they can't be a solid color. They have mixtures of other colors in their fur, and generally patches or streaks of impurities.

If you think you can disprove this, find a non-photoshopped photograph of a solid-colored wolf.

SoranofAvalor
Former WQ Moderator

Post by SoranofAvalor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:47 am

maybe reddish??
SORAN || WolfQuest Member; UotM January 2013
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨ http://soranofavalor.deviantart.com
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨──

Icon © Lyikah

shenzie
Yearling
Yearling

Post by shenzie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:41 am

Maia Huntress wrote:Ok I just wanted to know what rufus means in Canis Rufus (Red Wolf). Also, why are gray wolves called gray wolves? Not all of them are gray! One last thing: can wolves ever be all one color, such as solid gray, solid black, solid brown, ect.?
1: red im pretty sure cuz i think Canis is K9 like wolves,dog,foxes, ect so if it means K9 then when u say Canis Rufus ur prob saying red canine
2"im not sure
3 not sure
Last edited by shenzie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

A very proud member of UF. You can find them here
WQ topic: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... &start=285
Site/Blog: http://www.undinefallswolves.com/
Join Now
My wolf name is Jade but some know me as Winter

wolfzrule555
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfzrule555 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:17 am

im not sure of the first few but i can tell you that, there have been pure white and pure black pups spotted before and adult wolves to im sure theres a name for that type of wolf ill look it up for you :)
Just be your self
just be kind forgiving and understanding
And you will find who you truly are !
maybe some day we will all meet in that place our mother nature calls heaven ~prefix 103

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:08 am

1) rufus means red or ruddy in Latin

3) a true wolf cannot be a single color. Even arctic wolves have other colors in their coat.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)