Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Locked
User avatar
Jazzman
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:09 pm
Gender: Female
Location: under the snow waiting to scare little children

Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post by Jazzman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:38 pm

I heard several times that black wolves can only be borned if there is a dog in the bloodline, because the black fur doesn't exist in a wolves genes or something.
Is that true? o.O
I'm a female :D
Take a look at my Map!
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1707 ... cesmap.png

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:51 pm

That is absolutely not true. There are many black wolves in dark forests, for thats where they blend in the best. Of course, you can find them any place wolves live. That is also not true with blue eyes. Some wolves, rarely, have blue eyes. Pups often have blue eyes that change to yellow as they age. Some wolves eyes never change from the beautiful icy blue color.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

-Glacier-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:24 am
Gender: Female
Location: Crashin' yo' party.

Re: Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post by -Glacier- » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:46 pm

The gene variant for black fur actually comes from dogs that bred with wolves thousands of years ago.

There is an interesting article about this, found here:


http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16812
.............X // GLACIER \\ X
......» Run to live » Live to run »
.Loyal member of Undine Falls Pack
Undine Falls PMoTM December 2009

..Avatar © Hiedidog! Thank you! ♥

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:44 am

wolfquest47 wrote:That is absolutely not true. There are many black wolves in dark forests, for thats where they blend in the best. Of course, you can find them any place wolves live. That is also not true with blue eyes. Some wolves, rarely, have blue eyes. Pups often have blue eyes that change to yellow as they age. Some wolves eyes never change from the beautiful icy blue color.
I'd like to point this out about the eyes.

Adult wolves never have blue eyes, especially not the blue you are thinking of. They may be blind, so their eyes take on a blueish/greyish hue, but the eyes are never blue.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Avatar is copyright Koa

User avatar
Jazzman
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:09 pm
Gender: Female
Location: under the snow waiting to scare little children

Re: Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post by Jazzman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:28 am

Ok, now I've found several sites saying, that black wolves may have far back ancestors. I think the links are useless here, because all sites are on german..
I'm a female :D
Take a look at my Map!
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1707 ... cesmap.png

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Glacier Wolf wrote:The gene variant for black fur actually comes from dogs that bred with wolves thousands of years ago.

There is an interesting article about this, found here:


http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16812

Try looking at that article above.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Avatar is copyright Koa

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:16 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
wolfquest47 wrote:That is absolutely not true. There are many black wolves in dark forests, for thats where they blend in the best. Of course, you can find them any place wolves live. That is also not true with blue eyes. Some wolves, rarely, have blue eyes. Pups often have blue eyes that change to yellow as they age. Some wolves eyes never change from the beautiful icy blue color.
I'd like to point this out about the eyes.

Adult wolves never have blue eyes, especially not the blue you are thinking of. They may be blind, so their eyes take on a blueish/greyish hue, but the eyes are never blue.
Actually, i read in a non fiction book that a wolf in some zoo recently turned fifteen, and his eyes never changed from the puppy-blue color.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:43 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Czechosylvania

Re: Black wolves - dogs as ancestors

Post by Songdog » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Getting off topic...

Locked. Question has already been answered.

Locked

Return to “Wolf Q&A”