How high can a wolf jump up to?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

cloudywolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

How high can a wolf jump up to?

Post by cloudywolf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:35 pm

sounds kinda random or strange but I was wondering how high is a wolf able to jump to? does different types of wolves jump a different height?
I believe in freedom, and peace. But sometimes, you don't always get what you want. Don't believe lies, don't trust strangers who out of the blue talk to you, and beware of scams such as the 2012 lie. YOUR choices shape YOUR future.

~cloudywolf

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Fidd/Randy/Bell

Re: How high can a wolf jump up to?

Post by Riceboy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:37 pm

Well... I believe red wolves can jump about a... meter was it?

So based off of that I'd say around there. I dont exactly think wolves can jump strait up as well as forward...
I could use something to eat.
i am ossan

I'm really, really hungry.

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Fiddlesticks wrote:Well... I believe red wolves can jump about a... meter was it?

So based off of that I'd say around there. I dont exactly think wolves can jump strait up as well as forward...
I agree, there no way as good as jumping as Cat's! I do think its around there
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:34 am

In my years of working with wolves, I have seen them make over a three foot verticle jump, and can certainly climb over an 8 foot fence, when given the right incentive to do so (during a capture, escape from other wolves during a dominance fight).
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Good question. I've never thought about it myself...thats really intresting CL, the wolves sound more like antelope than a feirce predator.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

cloudywolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by cloudywolf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:43 pm

XD..............okaayyy then...XD those post don't exactly answer my question :|
I believe in freedom, and peace. But sometimes, you don't always get what you want. Don't believe lies, don't trust strangers who out of the blue talk to you, and beware of scams such as the 2012 lie. YOUR choices shape YOUR future.

~cloudywolf

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Fidd/Randy/Bell

Post by Riceboy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:44 am

There is no exact answer... it all depends on why the wolf is jumping.
I could use something to eat.
i am ossan

I'm really, really hungry.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:12 pm

CLBaileyi wrote:In my years of working with wolves, I have seen them make over a three foot verticle jump, and can certainly climb over an 8 foot fence, when given the right incentive to do so (during a capture, escape from other wolves during a dominance fight).
Regarding that, do you know if adrenaline affects wolves the same way as it does in humans?

8 feet? That is impressive since the recorded record of a human jumping is 246 cm (8 feet). We have something in common with wolves.

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:16 pm

I guess that if you are asking if adrenaline affects them like humans (i.e. if they are excited/stressed they can and may do things that they might not normally do, then I would say yes). For example, if a wolf is really stressed out during a capture/dominance fight, then it may take them much more immobilization drugs to get them to a point where you can safely handle them vs. if they are calm to begin with. With the African Wild Dogs at the place I work now (The Wild Canid Center) we did some training to have them tolerate an injection by us vs. having to be darted by the veterinarian. We found out that we needed less than half the amount of drug for when we hand injected them vs. when we would need to dart them with the same drugs. This is a much safer way to go (for both the wolf and us!).

re: the ability to go over an 8 ft. fence, I just want to make sure that you all see the word "climb" and not that they can jump 8 ft.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:33 pm

That's really interesting, thanks for your answer, CLBaileyi. Now I learned something new.

wolfgirl101z
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfgirl101z » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:02 pm

In my opinion, I think it would depend on the type or breed of wolf in depending on how high it jumps.
My wolves:
Chessie

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:59 am

wolfgirl101z wrote:In my opinion, I think it would depend on the type or breed of wolf in depending on how high it jumps.
Wolves do not have "breeds", breeds apply to animals such as horses, dogs, and cats. There are different species and subspecies of wolf, but most of the wolf species are fairly similar.

Some of the more lean wolves may be able to jump higher, such as the Arabian Wolf and the Indian Wolf.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”