Yearlings Leaving Pack??? (I'm really confused.)

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

WolvesHorses
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Yearlings Leaving Pack??? (I'm really confused.)

Post by WolvesHorses » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:25 pm

I checked out a nonfiction book about wolves from the library. This book claimed...
Wolf Pack wrote:Some wolves leave the pack at one or two years of age to find a mate of their own.
Correct or not? 0.o
I'm more active now, as the WQ forums used to be amazingly slow for me.

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Yearlings Leaving Pack??? (I'm really confused.)

Post by -Outcast- » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:48 pm

WolvesHorses wrote:I checked out a nonfiction book about wolves from the library. This book claimed...
Wolf Pack wrote:Some wolves leave the pack at one or two years of age to find a mate of their own.
Correct or not? 0.o
yep, its sure true! plus, theres a big difference in age from humans and wolves :wink:

when they say "one or two yrs," well, a wolf of one or two years means that they are a teenager-adult. Now, if you think of one or two yrs for a human, well, thats basically a toddler! But not with wolves :wink:

remember, One-two years = teenager-adult
I am afraid to say I have quit Wolfquest.
You can find me on the Wolf_home forums and chat as Infelicity.

ShatteredSoul

Post by ShatteredSoul » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Yes, it's true.

And this what Rip said, about wolves ages, that's true, too.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:39 pm

In some cases, wolves leave the pack after one year. However, yearling wolves have a much lower chance of survival than wolves of two years. Yearlings have very little hunting experience, and are more likely to die do to starvation, disease, and from territorial disputes with other wolves.

Most wolves leave their packs at around 2 years of age.

Werewolf Leader

Post by Werewolf Leader » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:55 am

Yes it is true, and when you start the game of WQ it will say that you are a 2 year old wolf looking for a mate.

Analicia_213
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Analicia_213 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Some of the youngsters,especially the males,leaves the pack when they are one year old,while other will remain with the pack for life.Wolves are ready to breed when they are about two years old.

Yes,that is true.
Avvie @ Alakaru_1

당신이 느는 방 르십오.
Follow the ways you feel.

Signature @ Dark Light Ultra

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:28 am

Analicia_213 wrote:Some of the youngsters,especially the males,leaves the pack when they are one year old,while other will remain with the pack for life.Wolves are ready to breed when they are about two years old.

Yes,that is true.
Incorrect; females are usually the ones to leave, not the males. Also, I believe it's the males who mature a half year after the females do, and they usually do not breed until age 3 anyway.
Songdog wrote:In some cases, wolves leave the pack after one year. However, yearling wolves have a much lower chance of survival than wolves of two years. Yearlings have very little hunting experience, and are more likely to die do to starvation, disease, and from territorial disputes with other wolves.

Analicia_213
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Analicia_213 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Songdog wrote:
Analicia_213 wrote:Some of the youngsters,especially the males,leaves the pack when they are one year old,while other will remain with the pack for life.Wolves are ready to breed when they are about two years old.

Yes,that is true.
Incorrect; females are usually the ones to leave, not the males. Also, I believe it's the males who mature a half year after the females do, and they usually do not breed until age 3 anyway.
Songdog wrote:In some cases, wolves leave the pack after one year. However, yearling wolves have a much lower chance of survival than wolves of two years. Yearlings have very little hunting experience, and are more likely to die do to starvation, disease, and from territorial disputes with other wolves.

Thanks for fixing,it from the book by Sally Morgan.
Avvie @ Alakaru_1

당신이 느는 방 르십오.
Follow the ways you feel.

Signature @ Dark Light Ultra

The Black Wolf moon
Pup
Pup
Location: Dancing, running, with the blackest of wolves in the night timber, as I become a wolf to...

Post by The Black Wolf moon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:15 pm

WolvesHorses wrote:I checked out a nonfiction book about wolves from the library. This book claimed...
Correct or not? 0.o
I read the same book. I think it depends on the wolf and what it chooses, or on the leader's behalf. :?
Visit my dA account! www.Wolved.deviantart.com
I made my avvie, I also take commisions on my dA Just look in the gallery and you'll find my price list!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Question has clearly been answered.

Locking.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Return to “Wolf Q&A”