Humans in my story?, and other ?s about story writing

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

TalaHuntress
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Seer

Humans in my story?, and other ?s about story writing

Post by TalaHuntress » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:38 pm

I'm REALLY sorry if these have been answered, but here it goes: Would the wolves of Yellowstone know about the scientists studying them? Would some wolves have radio collars? Could a wolf in my story have a radio collar and know about the humans who watch him/her? I mean, could the wolf say that they met humans and survived the encounter and got the collar out of the encounter? Would the wolves acnowledge the small aircrafts that the scientists use to observe them?

Ok, now here are some other questions(again, sorry if these questions have been answered): Would a wolf mate with another wolf if her previous mate died? Would a wolf's mate abandon her?(I heard this happened to a wolf in Yellowstone once. I think it was a wolf in the Rose Creek Pack. I THINK.)

Please help me if you can!

NOTE: Again, I am VERY SORRY if any of these questions have already been answered!

Sintact

Re: Humans in my story?, and other ?s about story writing

Post by Sintact » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Well, I'm sure that wolves do know about our prescense, but I don't think they know that they are scientists and they are studying them, instead we are just a new animal... a really weird one. Some of the wolves do have radio collars, that's how scientists study them, but it is not allowed to add wolves with radio collars to your story, or add any human interaction in it.

Here are the general rules for posting your story at WolfQuest: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15710

Yes, a wolf would search for a new mate if the previous mate died, they are guided my instincts, and their insticts say that they need to reproduce and make a new family.

No, a wolf will stay together with its mate and raise up their pups together. The only reason they will abandon each other is that if one of them dies... there should be more reasons, but I don't remember.

Good luck with your story!

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Humans in my story?, and other ?s about story writing

Post by Songdog » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Sintact wrote:Well, I'm sure that wolves do know about our prescense, but I don't think they know that they are scientists and they are studying them, instead we are just a new animal... a really weird one. Some of the wolves do have radio collars, that's how scientists study them, but it is not allowed to add wolves with radio collars to your story, or add any human interaction in it.

Here are the general rules for posting your story at WolfQuest: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15710

Yes, a wolf would search for a new mate if the previous mate died, they are guided my instincts, and their insticts say that they need to reproduce and make a new family.

No, a wolf will stay together with its mate and raise up their pups together. The only reason they will abandon each other is that if one of them dies... there should be more reasons, but I don't remember.

Good luck with your story!

Generally I just suggest to people not to include humans in their story. If they become too large of an element in the story, or the focus of the story, you will be asked to change it.

Read this article on Mates:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 4&p=943979
pawnee wrote:You mean would a wolf leave their mating partner? Generally wolves form pair bonds through the mating season...so usually no.

UNLESS

one died and the other wolf was left alone to find a new mate
or one wolf was displaced as the breeding male/female and forced into a lower rank.

I would say it would be rare for a wild wolf to abondon their mate if they have just procreated...they spent all that time and energy into creating puppies to secure their own gene flow.