Some wolf questions

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Catarinab

Some wolf questions

Post by Catarinab » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:51 pm

1-What is the fight behavior in playfull and sirius fights?
2-The wolves are always together in their territory?
3-When alphas use the tail high?
4-In what types of habitats wolves live and in what parts of the Eart(all species)?
5-Without count with to recognize, for what wolves use their tail?If yes, what?
6-In a pack, the alphas are the leaders of the betas and omegas, the betas are omega's leaders and omegas aren't leaders of anything?
7-In submission, the passive submission its only used in the fights?
8-What are the «crimes» can a wolf do? And what happen to that wolf?
9-If a stranger wolf enter in a pack and a wolf of that pack(not the leader) see that wolf, what it do?
10-Without count with put hierarchy and have fun, for what wolves use the fights?
11-What fur colors can wolves have?
12-Like some dogs, can wolves have eyes with diferent colors?
13-The dens are only used by a female with it pups?
14-Where wolves sleep?
15-In what age a pup pass to adult?
16-Do alphas mark its territory in 2 to 2 minutes?!How they can?

Sorry if I ask to much... :(

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Some wolf questions

Post by -Outcast- » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:39 pm

ask your questions on wolves here :wink:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=6
I am afraid to say I have quit Wolfquest.
You can find me on the Wolf_home forums and chat as Infelicity.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 pm

I'll try to answer as best I can

Wolves generally engage in play behaviour, where serious fighting is rare in a wild wolf pack. Sometimes wolves will 'play bow' or dart around to provoke the other wolves to chase it.

Play behaviour

the video has a clip of an actual wild wolf fight. As you can tell, the wolves don't take the time to stand and posture...it seems more like a full out charge and attack.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... sode/4678/

No. Wolves can seperate to go on hunting while other wolves stay near a den site or with the other members of the pack.

wolves raise their tails to establish their assertivness. The video says 'fighting' but actually the white wolf is being dominant over the black wolf. Notice how the white wolf is posturing

4-In what types of habitats wolves live and in what parts of the Eart(all species)?
Their are only two species of wolves; the grey wolf and the red wolf. Grey wolves inhabit almost every type of habitat across the globe. Grey wolves are found in every continent except South America, Australia and of course Antarctica. Red wolves inhabit South eastern US.

I'm not sure if I understand this question...
6-In a pack, the alphas are the leaders of the betas and omegas, the betas are omega's leaders and omegas aren't leaders of anything?
The term alpha implies that animals fight to establish a heiracrhy. Most wild wolf packs are made up of a mother and a father wolf and their offspring. Wild wolves rarely fight, so the term 'alpha' was removed...but can still be applied to captive wolves in some situations.

I'm not sure if wolf packs exist in a pyramid type social structure...I'm guessing a wolf that has earned a higher rank than another wolf would earn the respect of its fellows. Or else that would mean the individual would have to establish itself with each pack member....good question.

I guess the wolf would become submissive whenever it deemed appropriate...

Crime is something that people have invented...The justice system is something human made although wolves and dogs have been known to ratify some sense of ‘morals’...though I think I’m anthromorphizing. Their is an article about it here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... wrong.html

9-If a stranger wolf enter in a pack and a wolf of that pack(not the leader) see that wolf, what it do?

Most likely chase off or attack the interloper. Wolves are highly territorial and will attack and maul other wolves. A major cause of death for wild wolves is other wolves.

10-Without count with put hierarchy and have fun, for what wolves use the fights?
Wolves don’t fight for fun...fighting is energy they could use otherwise and can cause serious injury. Wolves rarely have lethal disputes, but can happen when two animals of equal assertiveness stand up to each other or when a pack is fending off an interloper.

From almost solid white to pure black and every shade in between. Most have a mix of white underbelly fur, tan or cream around the face and black guard hairs.

Most wolves have yellow or brown eyes, though some can have grey or green.

Wolves only use dens for birthing and when the pups are too small to venture outside. Wolves don’t need dens for shelter.

14-Where wolves sleep?
anywhere they want too.

Most animals can be deemed an adult when they reach sexual maturity. Wolves reach sexual maturity at one to two years old but most do not breed until another a year or two. The youngest wolf to breed was about six months old, and it was a captive wolf at a zoo.

Leader wolves mark their territory where they see fit. I’m not sure I understand the 2 to 2 minutes part.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Catarinab

Post by Catarinab » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:24 am

pawnee wrote:I'll try to answer as best I can

Wolves generally engage in play behaviour, where serious fighting is rare in a wild wolf pack. Sometimes wolves will 'play bow' or dart around to provoke the other wolves to chase it.

Play behaviour

the video has a clip of an actual wild wolf fight. As you can tell, the wolves don't take the time to stand and posture...it seems more like a full out charge and attack.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... sode/4678/

No. Wolves can seperate to go on hunting while other wolves stay near a den site or with the other members of the pack.

wolves raise their tails to establish their assertivness. The video says 'fighting' but actually the white wolf is being dominant over the black wolf. Notice how the white wolf is posturing

Their are only two species of wolves; the grey wolf and the red wolf. Grey wolves inhabit almost every type of habitat across the globe. Grey wolves are found in every continent except South America, Australia and of course Antarctica. Red wolves inhabit South eastern US.

The term alpha implies that animals fight to establish a heiracrhy. Most wild wolf packs are made up of a mother and a father wolf and their offspring. Wild wolves rarely fight, so the term 'alpha' was removed...but can still be applied to captive wolves in some situations.

I'm not sure if wolf packs exist in a pyramid type social structure...I'm guessing a wolf that has earned a higher rank than another wolf would earn the respect of its fellows. Or else that would mean the individual would have to establish itself with each pack member....good question.

I guess the wolf would become submissive whenever it deemed appropriate...

Crime is something that people have invented...The justice system is something human made although wolves and dogs have been known to ratify some sense of ‘morals’...though I think I’m anthromorphizing. Their is an article about it here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... wrong.html

Most likely chase off or attack the interloper. Wolves are highly territorial and will attack and maul other wolves. A major cause of death for wild wolves is other wolves.

Wolves don’t fight for fun...fighting is energy they could use otherwise and can cause serious injury. Wolves rarely have lethal disputes, but can happen when two animals of equal assertiveness stand up to each other or when a pack is fending off an interloper.

From almost solid white to pure black and every shade in between. Most have a mix of white underbelly fur, tan or cream around the face and black guard hairs.

Wolves only use dens for birthing and when the pups are too small to venture outside. Wolves don’t need dens for shelter.

14-Where wolves sleep?
anywhere they want too.

Most animals can be deemed an adult when they reach sexual maturity. Wolves reach sexual maturity at one to two years old but most do not breed until another a year or two. The youngest wolf to breed was about six months old, and it was a captive wolf at a zoo.

Leader wolves mark their territory where they see fit. I’m not sure I understand the 2 to 2 minutes part.
Thanks to answer, pawnee!!

Leader wolves mark their territory where they see fit. I’m not sure I understand the 2 to 2 minutes part.[/quote]

I mean, if the alpha pair do that:
They mark the territory;
2 minutes pass...
They mark the territory again
2 minutes pass...
They mark the territory again

Like that.
I am asking like this:
1 eye...yellow and the other one...maybe...grey.

Oh, sorry, I am so abcent minded!!! I mean:
5-Without count with to recognize, for what wolves use their urine?If yes, what?

Only 1 more question:
1-Can you send me some youtube's links where I can learn things about wolves?

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:56 am

Oh okay I understand.

I'm not sure if wolves would memeorize how many times they mark their territory...It seems more so that when wolves feel they have to, they just go ahead and do it. eg, dogs will pee on something if they smell another's pee...they don't really keep track of how many times they've gone to the bathroom already, they just do it because they want too. It would be intresting to find out though. I don't think their has been any 'serious' studies into RLU and MRLU

(Raise Leg Urination= male, Modified Raise Leg Urination=female)

I have never seen of a wolf with two diffrent coloured eyes. I honestly can't give you a correct answer for this one. I'm not saying they don't exist, but usually hybrid animals are more likely to have two diffrent coloured eyes...like huskies or malamutes.

Wolves use their urine to mark territory, its like leaving a personal note card wherever you go. Wolves can tell the gender and status of the animal from urine. Sometimes when an animal is really nervous or exicted they also urinate on themselves. The only cases of this behaviour I've seen was in a video where a wolf was captured by researchers in a leg hold trap.

edit I forgot the youtube links

International wolf centre clips-intresting behaviour caught on tape!
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Catarinab

Post by Catarinab » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks pawnee!!
(Raise Leg Urination= male, Modified Raise Leg Urination=female)
But, Without count with one is used by the female, and the other one by male, what is the diference between these 2 types to mark territory?

Return to “Wolf Q&A”