Color?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

SonyWolf

Color?

Post by SonyWolf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Does a color increase wolf's chances to be dominant? I mean, if the wolf is, for example, white, does that matter in their hierarchy?

Sintact

Re: Color?

Post by Sintact » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:31 pm

I don't think the pelt colour affects in a wolf's social life. What affects more is the genetics and personality of the wolf. Though I can't ensure that what I'm saying is true.

RoxasXIII
Pup
Pup

Post by RoxasXIII » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:31 pm

I don't believe so. I have never heard of it mattering in neither a family pack nor a special pack (where not all of the wolves are related)
All the pieces lie where they fell...

►Giuro Eterna Amicizia◄

SonyWolf

Post by SonyWolf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Thank you. And I didn't believe it also, but I wanted to make sure... I still don't see why would pelt color affect the pack hierarchy in any way o.e

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Ack, we have a topic on this somewhere because people have asked about it in the past. Unfortunately, I do not know where the topic is, but maybe another moderator will and can hopefully give you a better answer.

I believe the theory behind this was that more dominant animals eat first and choose the best parts of a kill, thus receiving more nutrients. But their colors don't just change throughout the hierarchy, nor could color ever really indicate how dominant a wolf was.

Pelt colors have to do mainly with genetics, although can be affected by their nutrient intake, especially at a young age. For example, a sickly wolf with light color may take on a yellow sheen. But this may have nothing to do with dominance, it may simply imply scarce prey, an illness, or something unrelated entirety.

Oop, and I just found the topic.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=600
WQ Project Coordinator wrote:The color of a wolf's coat has no bearing on their status in their pack. Gray wolves can come in a wide variety of colors from black to white to gray to tawny and any combination. In Yellowstone National Park, the Hayden pack has a white female as the dominant female. I believe that she is the only white wolf in Yellowstone, but don't quote me on that. She is certainly rare in Yellowstone.

Here is a link to a page that contains a picture of her with some pups from Summer 2007:
http://wolves.wordpress.com/2007/07/22/ ... en-wolves/
pawnee wrote:I read that too! Some people think that if an alpha wolf eats the better food of a carcass, and thus better nutrients, it makes it`s scent and coat condition better than the other members. It might be true to some degree, but as WQ alpha said earlier, I`ve seen all black or all white wolves lead packs before.

So the answer is no.

SonyWolf

Post by SonyWolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:47 am

Songdog wrote:Ack, we have a topic on this somewhere because people have asked about it in the past. Unfortunately, I do not know where the topic is, but maybe another moderator will and can hopefully give you a better answer.

I believe the theory behind this was that more dominant animals eat first and choose the best parts of a kill, thus receiving more nutrients. But their colors don't just change throughout the hierarchy, nor could color ever really indicate how dominant a wolf was.

Pelt colors have to do mainly with genetics, although can be affected by their nutrient intake, especially at a young age. For example, a sickly wolf with light color may take on a yellow sheen. But this may have nothing to do with dominance, it may simply imply scarce prey, an illness, or something unrelated entirety.

Oop, and I just found the topic.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=600
WQ Project Coordinator wrote:The color of a wolf's coat has no bearing on their status in their pack. Gray wolves can come in a wide variety of colors from black to white to gray to tawny and any combination. In Yellowstone National Park, the Hayden pack has a white female as the dominant female. I believe that she is the only white wolf in Yellowstone, but don't quote me on that. She is certainly rare in Yellowstone.

Here is a link to a page that contains a picture of her with some pups from Summer 2007:
http://wolves.wordpress.com/2007/07/22/ ... en-wolves/
pawnee wrote:I read that too! Some people think that if an alpha wolf eats the better food of a carcass, and thus better nutrients, it makes it`s scent and coat condition better than the other members. It might be true to some degree, but as WQ alpha said earlier, I`ve seen all black or all white wolves lead packs before.

So the answer is no.
Thank you, Songdog. Now you can lock this topic.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 am

Question has been answered.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011