Has someone ever kept a fully-grown wolf as a pet?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Has someone ever kept a fully-grown wolf as a pet?

Post by jaguartail » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 am

question is in topic title.

Siage
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Has someone ever kept a fully-grown wolf as a pet?

Post by Siage » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 am

I believe one man bough a wolf on Craigslist, but had to sell it...

I dont know if that counts though...

Theres a topic on that here!

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25845

:mrgreen:
Icon by Songdog
I support the Alliance.
Fromage

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:22 pm

You mean in life or on the forums? I don't think anyone has kept a pet wolf in the community...the only person I know of who works close to wolves on the WQ forums is CL Bayliei cause she is a caretaker for wolves. she's livin the dream :D

Some books about this you might find intresting are

Living with Wolves by Jim Dutcher and Arctic Wild and Captive Wild by Lois Crisler. Both 'had' wolves though the authors admit they never treated the wolves like pets.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:26 pm

pawnee wrote:You mean in life or on the forums? I don't think anyone has kept a pet wolf in the community...the only person I know of who works close to wolves on the WQ forums is CL Bayliei cause she is a caretaker for wolves. she's livin the dream :D

Some books about this you might find intresting are

Living with Wolves by Jim Dutcher and Arctic Wild and Captive Wild by Lois Crisler. Both 'had' wolves though the authors admit they never treated the wolves like pets.
in life.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Well, she kinda gave you two examples of two people who had wolves, but they weren't considered pets.^^

If you're thinking that you can have a full blooded wolf as a pet, then there are a lot of laws and regulations for that, since they are wild animals.

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:26 pm

no,I'm not planning on having one. but has someone ever kept a fully grown wolf as a pet and treated it like one?

wolfzrule555
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfzrule555 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 pm

yes it has been done before, but i wouldn't recomend it as they are built for the wild, and it would be wrong to keep them as pets. I beleive there are videos on youtube about a man who brought up a wolf from a pup, hope this helped :)
Just be your self
just be kind forgiving and understanding
And you will find who you truly are !
maybe some day we will all meet in that place our mother nature calls heaven ~prefix 103

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 pm

It's illegal to keep a wolf as a pet, actually, unless you have permits for it.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

wolfzrule555
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfzrule555 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:39 am

im glad of that they shouldnt really be pets they belong in the wild, they love hunting not having bland food in a dish :)
Just be your self
just be kind forgiving and understanding
And you will find who you truly are !
maybe some day we will all meet in that place our mother nature calls heaven ~prefix 103

Kakashi Hatake

Post by Kakashi Hatake » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:06 pm

My uncle did. He found it and it was hurt really bad. The wolf who is named Moon never recovered so he kept her.

SweetHart
Pup
Pup

Post by SweetHart » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Keeping a wolf,as any other wild animal,sounds nice,but as they have wild instincts,they will turn on u eventually. Animals,only have instinct. Unlike humans we have a concsience to think before we act..So i believe keeping one as a pet unless properly and safely cared for,is cruel.
My Deviant art shop
http://kittenhuggs7.deviantart.com/

~"Once a whisper,Now a Roar"~

ILM to my dear sister,I miss u
" Alpha of the -Crimson moon pack"
Avvie(C)Me

Kakashi Hatake

Post by Kakashi Hatake » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:38 pm

SweetHart wrote:Keeping a wolf,as any other wild animal,sounds nice,but as they have wild instincts,they will turn on u eventually. Animals,only have instinct. Unlike humans we have a concsience to think before we act..So i believe keeping one as a pet unless properly and safely cared for,is cruel.
Yes,I agree 100%.My uncle has been taking proper care of her and he lets her run around with his other wolves that he has.He knows what he is doing he's done it for years.

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:40 pm

jaguartail wrote:no,I'm not planning on having one. but has someone ever kept a fully grown wolf as a pet and treated it like one?
I believe it's impossible to keep a wild animal as a pet. Dogs were wolves, and it took humans how many thousands of years before they were domesticated? Even dogs can be dangerous.

I strongly disagree with keeping wild animals, (particularly predators) as pets. I have not ever heard any story where someone gets a wild animal as a pet and it works out. I’ve been to the dog park, and there'll be some woman with a wolf puppy, but I wont see her there again with it. Whereas I see the other dog owners there all the time with their dogs. People get wolves as puppies and they’re sweet and puppyish, until they grow up and then they have a wild animal. I think the biggest reason people buy wild animals to keep is they think it's "cool" and that bugs me so much.

In short, if you’re keeping a wild animal as a pet, you can't treat it as a wild animal too. It's like a double negative really. I want to work with wolves some day, but when I do, they'll be in the wild, a sanctuary, or in a zoo.
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Some people keep wolves and high-content wolf-dog hybrids as "pets". Personally, I would never consider owning a wild wolf or even a high-content wolf-dog. "Tame" is not the same thing as "domesticated"; and in wrong hands and without any proper socialization and training, things can get disastrous very quickly when people get involved with "pet" wolves and wolf-dogs.

People should remember that wolf or a wolf-dog is not the same thing as a dog. They have much more intense behavior and stronger instincts than that of a regular dog. Their behavioral ways are completely different from dogs; the prey drive is higher, they are calculating and intelligent and they have a very strong instinct to mate when mating season arrives. They are extremely challenging pets, but with persistent and continuous training and socialization, they are rewarding, non-traditional companions. You just have to have the knowledge and skill to work around them. I have been associated with wolf-dogs and I must say that I do not recommend as pets for people who are just looking for a lupine-looking dog. The more wolf content a wolf-dog has in it, the more it will behave like a wolf, and vice versa (the lower the wolf content, the more it will behave and act like a dog).

People need to get more information about wolf-dogs. This epidemic of owning wolves and wolf-dogs has become a really unfortunate habit in my country. When people here buy a wolf-dog and they realize that they got so much more than they bargained for and a bad accident happens, a great wolf-dog is put down, abandoned, or taken to an animal rescue center. The situation is very bad in Finland.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:12 am

I agree with you Blight. Many buy a wolf-dog without thinking about the responibilities that come with it. As you said, things could or do happen and the wolf-dog gets put down simply for the owners lack of thought before they buy it.

I personally would never own a wolf-dog.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏