Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Locked
User avatar
Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:33 am

I know that wolves eat Dominant to least dominant, but what do they eat first? I think I read that they eat the liver? But I don't remember, can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:26 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:27 pm

When wolves are consuming a carcass, they strip the organs and the major muscle groups on the hind and front portions before moving on to the muscle on the legs and hide (Wilmers & Stahler, 2002). Large bones and the hide usually remain uneaten when the pack is finished with the carcass, however wolves have been known to devour entire fawn carcasses (Kunkel et al., 1999). The major muscle groups and organs are consumed at similarly high rates, while the muscles on the minor portions of the carcass are consumed at slower rates. ACR is most likely to differ within the wolf species based on mass, age, and sex. The ACR tends to increase as the wolf gets bigger. Female wolves are slower eaters than males and smaller. As the wolves get older they feed slower, possibly because the older animals are dominant and intragroup competition would not have much effect on their eating availability or their ACR.
Source: http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/veca ... r/Prey.htm
If you access that link, you can learn more about the eating habits.

That was a good question, and I was happy to learn about that. =)

ACR means Active-consumption rate
Avatar by: Rikkuzilla

User avatar
Canidae
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by Canidae » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm

The wolf pups receive first rights on anything killed regardless of their low rank within the pack.

Letting the wolf pups fight for the right to eat, results in a secondary ranking being formed among them and lets them practice the dominance and submission rituals that will be essential to their future survival in pack life.
Source: http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/wildlife/ ... production

I thought I'd add this bit of information, although I'm not entirely convinced that that resource is reliable. So, in search of more reliable information, I found this:
Although adult wolves compete with one another while feeding, they allow pups to eat without confrontation until they reach adolescence. From then on, they must compete as well, eventually finding their place in the adult pack hierarchy.
Source: http://www.livingwithwolves.org/Gallery_Pups.html

That's a website created by Jim and Jamie Dutcher. If you know anything about them, you know how much research they've done, and how much information they have. I'd say they're a pretty reliable resource. :)
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/


Avatar by me.

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 pm

I didn't know that about the puppies; although that makes sense...because the puppies would be too young to fight, and they need the best part of the carcass to grow properly.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Avatar is copyright Koa

shadowwolf966
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:56 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Waiting for summer

Re: Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by shadowwolf966 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:07 am

Hum.... I heard somewhere that sometimes wolves will crunch open bones to suck out the marrow- but which wolves would be "allowed" to do that? (If they even DID that)
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Shadow, proud to be a Tafuria of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../...........//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Siggie (c) Alpha Female

User avatar
Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Re: Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 am

shadowwolf2234 wrote:When wolves are consuming a carcass, they strip the organs and the major muscle groups on the hind and front portions before moving on to the muscle on the legs and hide (Wilmers & Stahler, 2002). Large bones and the hide usually remain uneaten when the pack is finished with the carcass, however wolves have been known to devour entire fawn carcasses (Kunkel et al., 1999). The major muscle groups and organs are consumed at similarly high rates, while the muscles on the minor portions of the carcass are consumed at slower rates. ACR is most likely to differ within the wolf species based on mass, age, and sex. The ACR tends to increase as the wolf gets bigger. Female wolves are slower eaters than males and smaller. As the wolves get older they feed slower, possibly because the older animals are dominant and intragroup competition would not have much effect on their eating availability or their ACR.
Source: http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/veca ... r/Prey.htm
If you access that link, you can learn more about the eating habits.

That was a good question, and I was happy to learn about that. =)

ACR means Active-consumption rate
Canidae wrote:
The wolf pups receive first rights on anything killed regardless of their low rank within the pack.

Letting the wolf pups fight for the right to eat, results in a secondary ranking being formed among them and lets them practice the dominance and submission rituals that will be essential to their future survival in pack life.
Source: http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/wildlife/ ... production

I thought I'd add this bit of information, although I'm not entirely convinced that that resource is reliable. So, in search of more reliable information, I found this:
Although adult wolves compete with one another while feeding, they allow pups to eat without confrontation until they reach adolescence. From then on, they must compete as well, eventually finding their place in the adult pack hierarchy.
Source: http://www.livingwithwolves.org/Gallery_Pups.html

That's a website created by Jim and Jamie Dutcher. If you know anything about them, you know how much research they've done, and how much information they have. I'd say they're a pretty reliable resource. :)

Thank you so much you guys! My question has been answered I think, though if anyone has anything more to add, that'd be great too!

shadowwolf966 wrote: Hum.... I heard somewhere that sometimes wolves will crunch open bones to slurp out the marrow- but which wolves would be "allowed" to do that? (If they even DID that)
Wolves do eat the marrow, it's very healthy. :wink: I believe that all wolves are allowed to do that, as that's one of the last things they eat.
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

Kakashi Hatake
Guest
Guest

Re: Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by Kakashi Hatake » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Predation for the wolf is also social. The Alpha controls the hunt. His ability to find, track and bring down prey, with the help of the pack, helps to ensure his position. This is one of the most basic functions for the pack leader. At the kill, the social order is most evident. The Alpha eats first, followed in order, by the next strongest and on down. This helps the pack to keep the strong providers strong and reinforces the social order. A predator killing prey can also serve to strengthen that same species while inviting competition for the kill. The relationship between predator and prey is one of the most basic of relationships. Predator serves prey as prey serves predator. The predator cannot survive without prey, while prey is kept in check by predator.

Source:http://hubpages.com/hub/Wolf-Pack-Dynamics

Hope that helped!! :mrgreen:

SweetHart
Pup
Pup
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 pm
Gender: Female
Location: canada
Contact:

Re: Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by SweetHart » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Wow thats quite interesting,It be cool to see a documentry on it. Though it does make sense that they let the pups eat first
My Deviant art shop
http://kittenhuggs7.deviantart.com/


~"Once a whisper,Now a Roar"~

ILM to my dear sister,I miss u
" Alpha of the -Crimson moon pack"
Avvie(C)Me

User avatar
onepersonteaparty
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Who eats what first in a wolf pack?

Post by onepersonteaparty » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:39 am

Usually the alpha eats the liver and heart because to wolves they are the "prized organs" of an animal. :mrgreen:
........................................................ It's Croix. Moo boo.

Locked

Return to “Wolf Q&A”