Wolf hybrids

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Kiara1125
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Wolf hybrids

Post by Kiara1125 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Is it bad that I want to own a Wolf-Dog?? I will take excellent care of it, for I have 3 Australian Shepard-Border Collie Mixes. They need a lot of exercise and I give it to them!! They're pooped out by the end of the day. All I need is a breeder and money. I want a REAL one, but... Is it BAD that I want one? Do you guys think that it is inhumane? I mean, they're not FUL wolves!! They're only 50-98%.... So, yeah...
I have 2 dogs, 11 cats, 2 turtles, 1 bearded dragon, 5 aquariums, and 2 ponds.

I am currently raising fancy goldfish fry and I am taking care of my Bichon Frise who is having heart failure. Please have Max in your prayers. ♥

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wolf hybrids

Post by Canidae » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:39 pm

There are many different views on whether or not owning a wolfdog is a good idea. The general consensus seems to be that owning a wolfdog can be dangerous, as the animal is unpredictable. Crossbreeding a dog with a wolf mixes wild and domestic genes, and the wolfdogs that result are therefore incredibly unpredictable. One moment they may be loving on you, but if you do one little thing to trigger a wolf instinct that's buried in their mind, they can snap.

Here's another topic on owning a wolfdog:

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27149
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Kiara1125
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kiara1125 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanx.
I have 2 dogs, 11 cats, 2 turtles, 1 bearded dragon, 5 aquariums, and 2 ponds.

I am currently raising fancy goldfish fry and I am taking care of my Bichon Frise who is having heart failure. Please have Max in your prayers. ♥

OkamiShiranui123
Pup
Pup

Post by OkamiShiranui123 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Owning a wolf dog hybrid is very life risking, inside they are still wild and even out. Therefor, I do not agree that wolves or wolf dogs would make good pets. There are many differences between dogs and wolves that make them distinct.
1. Dogs are easy to train (as long as they aren't stubborn) while wolves can be a pain to.
2. Dogs can become loyal companions as wolves can betray you in an instant.
3. Wolves need a required space to live while dogs (depending on size) can live in a average sized house.
4. Crossbreeding is a very dangerous procedure and can actually lead to mutation depending on the genes of the species being used.
5. It is illegal to own wolf dog hybrids in some places while in others it's not.

I hope any of this information can help ^.^
If I'm copying any information off of you
Canidae I will remove it :3
There's a Nyan Cat on the loose...

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 am

Hello OkamiShiranui123.

Considering this topic is fairly old and hasn't had a response, please do not bump old/dead topics.
Feel free to look at the following topics as well as Canidae's provided thread for further wolf-dog hybrid related discussion and articles-

I will be locking this now, to prevent further bumping or replies, given that the original question has long ago been answered.
Thank you for understanding. :)

• - Thread Locked -
*pokes with a stick*

[
XBL] • [PSN]
[
Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

Return to “Wolf Q&A”