Are Wolves Really Orange?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Angei
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Are Wolves Really Orange?

Post by Angei » Fri May 28, 2010 6:03 pm

On WQ people can make orange wolves. Is this realistic?
    • -=≡Jewel≡=-
    ==========
    ==========
    av(c)thandi
I am only 8 so i am not that good at spelling

- IceRain -

Re: Are Wolves Really Orange?

Post by - IceRain - » Fri May 28, 2010 6:17 pm

No wolves cannot be orange, the may have a tan or cream tint to thier fur. But they can never be orange.

-Myth

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Fri May 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Gray wolves can have very orange-ish tints to their fur, though:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8788/674z.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6986/598h.jpg
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9513/514ls.jpg

Of course, Red wolves are much more likely to have red/orange/tan/brown tints to their coat.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sat May 29, 2010 3:39 am

Cani's right. Gray wolves can appear orange-ish but it's mainly because of the tan, creamy and ocher colored hues and tints on their fur... but as for being thoroughly orange in the actual sense of the color... it's not possible. Not to mention, very unrealistic.

In WolfQuest people are capable of making orange or sand colored wolves because of the ability in the character creation to adjust and modify the color tints on the wolf.

I wonder if the adjust button should be removed altogether (at least when adjusting the colors on a brown/tan wolf) just to prevent confusion like this? A lot of people have asked this question in the past.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

- IceRain -

Post by - IceRain - » Sat May 29, 2010 6:28 am

Blightwolf wrote: I wonder if the adjust button should be removed altogether (at least when adjusting the colors on a brown/tan wolf) just to prevent confusion like this? A lot of people have asked this question in the past.
Thats actually a very good idea Blight :mrgreen:

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Sun May 30, 2010 5:45 pm

+Soul+ wrote:
Blightwolf wrote: I wonder if the adjust button should be removed altogether (at least when adjusting the colors on a brown/tan wolf) just to prevent confusion like this? A lot of people have asked this question in the past.
Thats actually a very good idea Blight :mrgreen:
Or they could make the "tan" more tan instead of orange. In my opinion, the tan side of it is more orange than it is tan. Or they could just have it tinted at spots where it would seem orange, like on the legs or the top of the head between the ears. I've seen pictures where wolf heads seem to be orange in color.
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon May 31, 2010 7:01 am

That seems like a pretty formidable idea, Shusuke. It would reduce the confusion and also make the game a little bit more realistic (by ruling out the ability to create fully orange wolves).

You should suggest that on the "Ideas for new episodes" topic.

pure music chaos
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by pure music chaos » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:18 am

I wonder if the adjust button should be removed altogether (at least when adjusting the colors on a brown/tan wolf) just to prevent confusion like this? A lot of people have asked this question in the past.
true this would cause less confusion like this. But it also gives us teh chance to make out wolves unique. All wolves have a fur colour and tints all their own, it can sometimes be a way of indicating which wolf is which. Surely we shoudl have teh chance to make our wolf unique in this way. plus wolves are never just one colour. ear tips and tail tips can vary plus things liek white socks can appear on wolves. Its a way of identification i suppose.
Avviie By lunaLynn :D its great ^^

>>- - - Proud Hunter to the Fdshfbvsk band - - - <<

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:39 am

At least there should be some restriction to how orange people would be able to adjust their wolves. Instead of being able to create fully orange wolves, the "orange" could appear as more of sand/tan coloration on the fur and appear just random places rather than the wolf's whole body (color hues could be added on rear legs, chest and chin, for example).

I am not saying that the entire tint modification thing should be removed. Just the ability to make bright orange wolves as it really seems to cause genuine confusion among users.

larkaputnar
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: On Hold, busy with school but i will visit now and then and wait until things calm down.

Post by larkaputnar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Blightwolf wrote:I wonder if the adjust button should be removed altogether (at least when adjusting the colors on a brown/tan wolf) just to prevent confusion like this? A lot of people have asked this question in the past.
i disagree, im sorry but even though its unrealistic and this game is about teaching people about wolves, it makes it just that bit more unique and even more fun. I had an orangish wolf and some of my pups were this really nice colour. It just makes it more unique. The colour adjusting just makes it more fun, i dont think its a major concern. If people get confused let them ask, there isnt really any harm in having an orange wolf.
.::Larka's.::.Hope::.

.::Proud Journey of Truth and New Dawn writer ::.

.:: Fantastic Avvie by LupinzPack!::.

Check out Palla's writers website. PM me for more info

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:37 pm

larkaputnar wrote:
Blightwolf wrote:I wonder if the adjust button should be removed altogether (at least when adjusting the colors on a brown/tan wolf) just to prevent confusion like this? A lot of people have asked this question in the past.
i disagree, im sorry but even though its unrealistic and this game is about teaching people about wolves, it makes it just that bit more unique and even more fun.

You don't need to apologize for disagreeing, we all have our own opinions. =)

Personally, I really like the idea of being able to apply hues in only certain areas. If they could find a way to make that possible, then I do think the orange-wolf option should be removed.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

larkaputnar
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: On Hold, busy with school but i will visit now and then and wait until things calm down.

Post by larkaputnar » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Canidae wrote:
larkaputnar wrote:
i disagree, im sorry but even though its unrealistic and this game is about teaching people about wolves, it makes it just that bit more unique and even more fun.

You don't need to apologize for disagreeing, we all have our own opinions. =)

Personally, I really like the idea of being able to apply hues in only certain areas. If they could find a way to make that possible, then I do think the orange-wolf option should be removed.
Well it would cost more money and i think people would prefer it if the funds were used to make new episodes or the 2.5 episode etc. I do understand where people come from in this discussion, maybe it is unrealalistic but i think a number of people would be disapointed if it was taken away, i like it and others do also.
.::Larka's.::.Hope::.

.::Proud Journey of Truth and New Dawn writer ::.

.:: Fantastic Avvie by LupinzPack!::.

Check out Palla's writers website. PM me for more info

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 am

I think people are slightly misinterpreting the suggestion. We are not suggesting the entire removal of the color modification button, we are suggesting that the capability to make orange-colored wolves would be reduced/taken off. The color should not be so brightly orange, it should be a milder color.

The whole ability to make orange wolves is unrealistic and it's false education in the sense that some people (younger users specifically) might get a feeling or an impression that orange-colored wolves exist. It seems to confuse a lot of users of WQ.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Plus, only having the option to color certain areas (or maybe the choice to choose, like, if you want an orange tinted head and not orange tinted legs, you can use the cursor and click the wolf's legs to make them to back to normal and not have them tinted orange), would only make it more unique. That way players can pick the legs or head and then tint it tanish-orange (still not sure if it's supposed to be tan or orange), or brown. Personally I think a light gray should be added, since the under coat (which is the gray slide) doesn't mix with the tints very well in my opinion.

But having only certain parts would be unique.
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:15 am

Shusuke wrote:But having only certain parts would be unique.
And more realistic. Wolves' fur color is rarely occupied by just one, dominant color. Wolves have subtle color transitions and different types of shades, hues and tints in various parts on their bodies. Even a white wolf typically has brown, gray or black hairs mixed within the dominant color. Black wolves often have brown or white "ticking" in their dorsal lines, hackles and thighs.