Interpack Killing?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

RoarOriole

Interpack Killing?

Post by RoarOriole » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:09 pm

I just read in an article about the tragedy of the Druid Pack, and that the alpha female was killed by three subordinate females (then most of the pack died of mange, I think). What would lead a pack to kill their own leader? I'd like to know.

Here's where I found the information that inspired my question:
Backpacker:
http://www.backpacker.com/yellowstone_d ... _dirt/1760
Yellowstone insider:
http://www.yellowstoneinsider.com/20100 ... e-wolf.php
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Interpack Killing?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 pm

I don't know; maybe it was breeding season? Breeding season is a very stressful time for a wolf pack.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Kittysaysmeow
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Kittysaysmeow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:09 pm

The end of January is the height of mating season for wolves, and this inevitably leads to more confrontation between wolf packs.
Yep, I agree with SolitaryHowl, but I'd like to add that maybe the dominant female was sick. That would make a little more sense, because she probably would have survived the attack if she was healthier, maybe even the wolves wouldn't have tried.
Spottedfur

I am mostly absent at the moment. This account most likely will stay open.

Kinnikins.tumblr.com

Avvyby Fawn

LunaLynn
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by LunaLynn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Maybe the wolves had rabies. Because that does happen when rabies spreads through out the pack.
....................... υ η α ℓ y η η.
............................Is beastly.
....................Thats all I need to say.
................WolfQuest Community Member
..................Avvie By: Me...beastly me.

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:25 am

Wolves only survive with Rabies for three Days, then they die.
So It's unlickly they had Rabies.
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:34 pm

As Solitary says, perhaps it was breeding season and there was stress...

But perhaps it was just something as simple as wanting dominance over the Dominant Female and wanting more "power" in the pack? Although it seems unlikely that three wolves would band together to do so.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Lavawnder
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Lavawnder » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Sometimes younger wolves would challenge an older dominant wolf. Sometimes the older dominant wolf could die from these challenges.
///////A R C A N A - I M P E R I I
//////pulvis et umbra sumus . . .
///////. . . we are dust and shadow
///////_____________________
////////Dame Lavender
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45801
///////_____________________

Aura-Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Aura-Wolf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:17 pm

Just like they said, it was most likeky stress because of mating season. Sometimes pack members die because they challenge the pack leader and one of them dies if they fight which usaully doesn't occur very often.

EDIT: Then again, it could be the simple wanting of becoming the alpha female so the sub-ordinate wolf killed the alpha to become the alpha.
Last edited by paperpaws on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 'Merging' doublepost
~Hearts Bound Together Shall Never Be Torn Apart~

H.O.W.L
Help
Our
Wolves
Live

Proud Community Member of WolfQuest!

Soul Voice Pack

Wolf With No Mate

~Shoot For The Moon. Even If You Miss, You'll Land Among The Stars~

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:06 am

Please use the edit button if you want to add anything rather than double-posting :3

Wolves do not kill each other to take over leadership.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:49 pm

I know that wolves don't challenge one another for rank, and I know that it was breeding season since it was in february, but the thing that's baffled me is three subordinates teaming up on the lead female?

That's the part that doesn't seem normal to me, because then, if it was to take advantage of the lead female's weakness/sickness, then those three would probably wind up quibbling amongst themselves in some way.
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Sometimes we just can't explain why natures does things. Maybe they were just three very aggressive subordinates, maybe the hunting season was bad and built up on the stress level, maybe she was sick or just smelled kinda off. We'd never be able to fully explain it.

FlamingComet
Yearling
Yearling

Post by FlamingComet » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:46 am

Maybe it was a fight over prey? Those subordinates could have found some kind of carcass, and the alpha female came along and tried to push them away so she could have it for herself, but the subordinates didnt like this and attacked her, but when the alpha female fought back, it became a more violent battle to the death.
►Avatar © Oogeepatagoa◄

eyheralde
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Nowhere at all...Nowhwere at all...Nowhere- Never mind, now I'm right behind you

Post by eyheralde » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 am

I think I remember a documentary about 42 and others killing her sister,but not about 42 being killed.
In the thing with 42 and her sis,it was also sort of a mystery.
But the breeding season stress and mange probably were causes in it.
You will never know if you don't ask.- Me

People will copy you. Then you do something else. The key is the doing something else.-Leonardo DaVinci
No, DaVinci. The key is the going on WQ!-Me

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:32 am

The Druid Pack was the largest wolf pack of Yellowstone and it became socially too difficult to maintain for just one pair of dominant wolves - due to this, the pack began to splinter into four groups, and some of the wolves which separated from the original pack received their own pack status because they established their own denning site and produced offspring of their own. People should also remember that the Druid Pack had its share of territorial fights with other packs, as well, because it's common that packs', specifically the largest ones, territorial boundaries shift and eventually might overlap with the territories of other packs.

The interpack conflicts and aggression which happened in the core of the Druids hierarchy and led to this killing event were most likely triggered due to behavioral stress.

A large pack means increasing of competition for dominance (including social and hormonal rivalry in a pack which consist of several unrelated wolves, resulting in severe social complexity) and decreasing of prey. Wolves' social testing is also at its highest peak during the breeding season, when younger wolves are on the lookout to outmaneuver older, dominant individuals. Add everything up, and you have quite a mess. Put all of the elements together (too much social tension between pack members, frequent challenges of dominance, scarcity of prey, behavioral aggression and rivalry experienced during breeding season) and you'll be able to infer that the cause was behavioral stress sprung from multiple different social complexities amongst other issues.

Besides, 35% to 44% of adult wolves die from interpack conflicts. The Druid Pack certainly was not the first or the last pack that will suffer from aggressive in-pack encounters. Interpack killing may look cruel to us and make us incomprehensible as of why wolves would do this to each other, but it's all a part of a natural cycle - it's the wolves' own way of population control.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:59 am

Wow. :3 Didn't know that.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”