Are wolves in Yellowstone given vaccines?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Flynnii
Pup
Pup

Are wolves in Yellowstone given vaccines?

Post by Flynnii » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm assuming they are given a rabies shot, (though I may be incorrect) but are they given vaccines against other diseases?

Thanks in advance.
Avvie made by me~

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: Are wolves in Yellowstone given vaccines?

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:58 am

Mange, distemper and clashes between wolf packs are the main common source for fatalities in Yellowstone; rabies is not very present in Yellowstone, however, the rabies vaccine has been used during the Yellowstone gray wolf reintroduction program, but I am totally clueless whether they still vaccinate the wolves of Yellowstone. I think that in January 2006 they also vaccinated the wolves when canine parvovirus was found in Yellowstone.

In January 2009 the gray wolf population of Yellowstone went down more than 25% percent mostly due to mange infections and distemper.

They cannot really vaccinate all of the wolves against every possible disease, of course, but I think that they vaccinate the wolves when there is an outbreak in illnesses and contaminations.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Flynnii
Pup
Pup

Post by Flynnii » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Okay, thank you!
Avvie made by me~

wolf-writer
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolf-writer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:57 am

i suppose some of the more harmful diseases they may vaccinate against.

But once again its sort of tampering with nature. If they vaccinated them against all diseases its quite possible the wolf population would grow too big and stray out of yellowstone. And disease is a natural way of controling population in all spechies. even humans. So getting rid of many of these disease would be interfeering in the natural course of the wolves life.

But i supppose very harmful perhaps contagious vaccines will be vaccinated against.
.::. Proud Member Of .::.

Hystoria Lyrse Pack / accepting
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37618

Golden Creek Pack / accepting
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20874

Malido Mountains Pack / accepting
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37439

Proud Author of Magic / Not Accepting Characters
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37278

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:30 am

wolf-writer wrote:i suppose some of the more harmful diseases they may vaccinate against.

But once again its sort of tampering with nature. If they vaccinated them against all diseases its quite possible the wolf population would grow too big and stray out of yellowstone. And disease is a natural way of controling population in all spechies. even humans. So getting rid of many of these disease would be interfeering in the natural course of the wolves life.

But i supppose very harmful perhaps contagious vaccines will be vaccinated against.
They can't vaccinate all of them, and I do not believe they do that currently. It can be expensive.
They cannot really vaccinate all of the wolves against every possible disease, of course, but I think that they vaccinate the wolves when there is an outbreak in illnesses and contaminations.
Anyway, the question has been answered. Which means I will lock this.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”