Is it possible to make friends with wolves?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Amaroqwolf
Pup
Pup

Is it possible to make friends with wolves?

Post by Amaroqwolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 am

Do you think it is possible for making friends with wolves?

what do you think, is it possible?
I think anything is possible,one day we might make friends

Amaroqwolf
I am ☾Amaroq☽,
The Alpha Male of the great ☼Starlight Pack☼.
I am loyal to my family and my packmates,
I am strong and will fight to the death to defend my home and territory,
Don’t forget that…

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Is it possible to make friends with wolves?

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 am

I believe it is possible to be 'friends' with a "tame" wolf, not a wild one. Here is a topic about a man named Shaun Ellis, who lives with wolves, and has become their 'friend' or pack mate:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36382

And here is a topic about wolfdogs, as you could also be 'friends' with them too, as they are more commonly used as pets than wolves are:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34932
Last edited by Alpha Female on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 am

Not close ones, only 'food friends' as I call it when the human gives the animal food so the animal sticks around him/her.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 pm

"Friendship" is a wrong term to describe the relations between a human and a wolf. Captive-born wolves that have been socialized and handled by people will form a similar emotional attachment or a "social tie" to its human caretaker, imprinting on the particular person/persons that has cared for it and trained it. To describe it even more accurately, the animal is portraying a similar kind of trust and commitment to a human than it would show to its pack mates, HOWEVER, a wolf would NOT regard a human as another wolf/equal representative of its own species. It is possible to have a balanced and trusting "friendship" with a wolf, but this requires handling the wolf actively on a daily basis since its birth, bottle-feeding it and upon maturity, socializing and training it.

It is impossible to "befriend" a wild wolf. Captive-born individuals are a different matter; wild wolves typically display fear and avoidance towards humans. You can successfully habituate and perhaps even "tame" a wild wolf, BUT, habituated wild wolves are EXTREMELY dangerous and will eventually begin to chase humans in predatory fashions, resulting in possibly fatal wolf attacks. It is VERY irresponsible, hazardous and discouraged to try to form a "bond" with a wild wolves.

Safety is really important when dealing with wild animals, captive or otherwise. Even in the case of wolfdogs (particularly high content hybrids), you must be tremendously careful and be educated about the animal's behavior, how to train and socialize it properly, etc.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

scar face
Pup
Pup

Post by scar face » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:24 pm

ninty nine percent of the time no. one percent of the time yes. so most likely no it would end in a rescue transport.
s'up

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:25 am

scar face wrote:ninty nine percent of the time no. one percent of the time yes. so most likely no it would end in a rescue transport.
When talking about wild wolves, it's 100% of the time. Captive-born wolves are easier to handle and manage because they have been born into an artificial environment and lost their natural fear of humans; instead of wanting to steer away from human contact and interaction, like wild wolves, captive-born individuals orient towards people, though they are still very hard to train and lack the same retractability than domestic dogs (even a captive animal is still wild, it does not lose its behavioral traits and stop using its instincts).

WarriorWolf21
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Currently in your house and eating ALL your cookies. 0.0

Post by WarriorWolf21 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:06 pm

It is possible to become friends with a wolf. But, only if the wolf has been around a lot of people. I know someone who works with wolves. She told me that she slept with the wolf she takes care of.
H.elp
O.ur
W.olves
L.ive

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:14 am

WarriorWolf21 wrote:It is possible to become friends with a wolf. But, only if the wolf has been around a lot of people. I know someone who works with wolves. She told me that she slept with the wolf she takes care of.
It's usually not enough that a wolf has" been around a lot of people". The handler must work and interact with the wolf for months, even in years in the cases of some wolves, to gain their trust and establish a social attachment between him/herself and the wolf. It requires exceptional dedication, patience and understanding the behavior of wolves from the people who want to "befriend" these canines.

And even when wolves have been socialized and trained to withstand people's presence without being fearful and/or aggressive, to the point where they allow humans to fully interact with them, they are still potentially dangerous. Wolves are not as unpredictable as large predatory cats, such as lions and tigers, for example, but they do pose a significant threat to people UNLESS they are handled properly and adequately.

People seem to have the impression that once you have raised, habituated and trained a wolf, it would never harm a human being. This is not true in the slightest; wolves are large carnivores and well capable of hurting a human. Even the wolves that seem the most "tamest" or docilest CAN attack their owners/handlers. As I stated previously, you can never ignore the importance of safety when working with wild animals.

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:57 am

The Phrase making friends with a Wolf, isn't possible over a matter of meeting each other, sometimes the Wolf can see you as a Pack member, if you've inhabited the same territory, though as you say, making "Friends" in a way has happened before: A Documetry Living With Wolves, someone had made a Pack through having one lone Wolf and a Lone Wolf Female, as they started a Pack, people started again since it didn't work, and put some young pups which they had brought up, since the Pups had been brought up by them, they see them as the Leader of the Pack, thats why the Saw Tooth Pack become so friendly with them as the Pack grew older, and put some adult Wolves in, since the people checked reguly with them in their Pack territory, they become as what is known as "Tame". Though, you can never completely Tame a natural Wild Wolf.

Though, I don't think it's possible to become "friends" with a Wolf, without bringing them up like the was of the Saw Tooth Pack.

Saw Tooth Pack: http://www.livingwithwolves.org/Gallery ... cenes.html
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:16 am

Lyenza wrote:sometimes the Wolf can see you as a Pack member, if you've inhabited the same territory,
It is known that it's possible for a human being to "infiltrate" into a pack of wolves, both captive and wild, but wolves would never regard a person as a pack member. For example, it took a full year of a British wolf researcher Shaun Ellis to become accepted into a pack of wild wolves in North America. According to Shaun, if he initially went too close to the territory, the wolves would instantly lash out and chase him out. He was even nearly mauled by a dominant wolf when he made the grave mistake of getting too close to the pack's offspring. Eventually, the wolves became very nonchalant of Shaun's presence and allowed him to camp outside the outskirts of the territory and near to the end of Shaun's "experiment", he was accepted to enter the wolves' territory, although the dominant wolf disciplined him physically by pulling him to the ground and hovering its teeth over Shaun's throat. The wolf did not harm him, however, although he believed that it easily could've done it, because the wolf probably saw Shaun submissive enough.

L. David Mech, the world's most prestigious and well known wolf experts, has had many encounters with wild wolves, but just like with Shaun Ellis' case, the wolves never regarded him as an equal pack members. Wolves kept testing Dave socially, such as stealing his sleeping bag and even pushing themselves inside his tent. Dave made no attempts to "befriend" these wolves, he merely spend some time in a close proximity with their territory, and just like Shaun, was gradually allowed by the wolves to observe them more intimately (not in a sense that the wolves allowed him to pet them, but that they allowed him to sit closer to them, etc).

Even wild wolves can adapt to a human's presence, but they certainly would not think of humans as their own specimens. Even tame/captive wolves, despite being largely human-oriented as the product of being handraised by people and having been intensively habituated and trained, do not think that humans are an extent of their own pack. Unlike with their own pack members, wolves interacting with humans constantly challenge people for dominance and can socially test them in extremely rough and potentially dangerous ways - this alone is an indication that wolves do not think that humans are equals of their own species, no matter how comfortable they might be with a particular person or people.

Midnight Sky Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Howling under the moonlit sky with my beautiful pack, dancing in the stars.

Post by Midnight Sky Wolf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:15 am

If in real life, it is possible. There is a story about a man who lived among wolves, they accepted him into their pack. :mrgreen: Hope i helped!
Think you can beat these fangs? Think you can dominate this pack? Think you can defeat the alphas? Think again.

CreamWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by CreamWolf » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 am

Amaroqwolf... well, what else do you want to hear. I am sorry to say, it is impossible for a wolf to see a human as a friend. In fact, not even as a pack member. Maybe with captive wolves, but this chance is rather low. To be fully acquainted to a human, the wolf must trust him/her completely. Wolves in captivity are human imprinted because they know their caregivers since birth. With a wild wolf, it would be EXTREMELY hard or maybe even IMPOSSIBLE for it to fully trust a human, because you are not one of them. Plus, a dominant wolf would exert dominance over you, as Blightwolf wrote.

Sorry...
~CreÅmWΩlf
ωнєη єνєяутнιηg ѕєємѕ тσ gσ ωяσηg,
αη∂ тнє ωσяℓ∂ ƒσя уσυ ѕєємѕ тσ єη∂,
ѕιмρℓу вє ѕтяσηg,
αη∂ ѕυяєℓу
уσυя нєαят ωιℓℓ мєη∂...

///Literate Wolf Roleplayer\\\

Shoot me a message if you have any questions about me. ~ I may not be on much.

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:40 pm

I am sorry to say, it is impossible for a wolf to see a human as a friend.
I kind of disagree with that. I wouldn't use the term "friend," of course, but I do think it's quite possible for a captive wolf to bond with a human. Seeing wolves perk up and become excited when their favorite caretaker draws near can be interpreted as evidence of this. Yes, most captive wolves are habituated to people, but I still think the wolves would tend to prefer to be around their caretakers than random strangers.

I myself would like to think that I bonded pretty well with the captive wolves I worked with when I lived in Kansas.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Amaroqwolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Amaroqwolf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks that is very helpful. My goal is to make friends with a wolf even if it might be impossible.
I am ☾Amaroq☽,
The Alpha Male of the great ☼Starlight Pack☼.
I am loyal to my family and my packmates,
I am strong and will fight to the death to defend my home and territory,
Don’t forget that…

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:35 am

Hello Amaroqwolf,

Since I take that your question is answered, I'll go a head and lock this down, thanks! Thanks for providing responses, everyone ^^

-Thread Locked-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Return to “Wolf Q&A”