Wolf Throats?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

convel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Wolf Throats?

Post by convel » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Okay, so from a friend, I heard that wolves have a throat that contains thicker skin, making it almost impossible for another wolf to rip out its throat. Is this true?

A Needlepoint Dreary
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Wolf Throats?

Post by A Needlepoint Dreary » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Hello, Convel ^^

Well i researched, and i haven't found any information about wolves' throats being any tougher than the rest of their body. But one thing i do know is that every has very thick and dense fur around the neck and throat area, which helps protect their throat :3
Abandoning this account. I'll be known on my other one, "the ACTUAL dizzy" once it is activated.

-04.17.2013-

Lt Falco
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lt Falco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 am

Hi Convel!

The most tender part of a Wolf or any Canine's throat, is the top part, so just where the bottom of the jaw meets the neck, the skin there is relatively thin compared to the rest of the neck. But as A Needlepoint Dreary said their pelt helps protect them which is true. The throat is tougher the lower it goes down, (towards the chest area). It would be exceptionally hard for another wolf to rip a second's throat out, but their jaw power is quite immense. In which i'll share this short youtube vid with you: I'd also think that the other wolf would die before having its throat ripped out, though I doubt that a wolf could do it, but nothing is impossible!

Hope I helped!
..................................Lt Falco

.......................- Renegade on the Run -
.............ϟ Founder and Alpha of Silver Hollows ϟ
.......................ϟ Second of Luminaries ϟ
.............ϟ Lead Hunter of Banishing Winds Pack ϟ
......................→ Signature © Crystal ←

______________Avvie © Ninja_Wolfs963

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:12 pm

The fur around wolves' necks is thicker and longer than the fur anywhere else on their body. Fur around their neck and shoulders can reach up to four or five inches in length, during the cold season when they're wearing their winter coats.

All wolves have manes around their necks, but they're not as noticeable as the dramatic mane of a male lion.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Return to “Wolf Q&A”