survival?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Bright-Heart
Pup
Pup

survival?

Post by Bright-Heart » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:16 pm

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but i'm writing a story and don't wan't it completly unrealistic! so is it likly a dog(s) or a wolf/dog(s) could survive in the wild?
Thank you Illnor! You are aWsOmE!
- Yes, I am a lefty, and yes, I do LOVE quadracorns.

★☆The Pack of Silver Stars ★☆
♥♠♦♣♥♠♦♣ Poker Pack ♥♠♦♣♥♠♦♣

Chemuhk
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: survival?

Post by Chemuhk » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:04 pm

From what I know, while a dog/wolfdog will always retain it's basic instincts, if it is raised in a regular household and is fed regularly and given love, it will never need to hunt and/or fight and therefor will never learn. Because of this, if in the wild, the dog would most likely have trouble surviving without the skills to find food or fight off predators. I'm sure that a dog/wolfdog could get lucky and survive instinctively, but most likely any domesticated animal would have barely any chance of survival in the wild.
Hope this helped!
För allting börja nånstans när ja tappar balansen,
Woah,
Det klart det blir så när man dansar
nära kanten.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Ahaha, Chemuhk got to it first. ;D I'll go ahead and post my little tidbit as well, as I just have a little bit more to add^^

First, a stray dog that had prior human contact would probably not be able to survive as well as a feral dog, which is a dog that has never had human contact and has reverted to its wild, untamed state. So to answer your question, I believe only certain domesticated dogs and wolf dog hybrids would probably be able to survive in the wild, but it also depends on what sort of wild environment you have in mind. And when I said only certain domesticated dogs, I was referring to how some breeds would be more ample to survive than others. If it were between a Chihuahua and a German Shepherd, I think it would be pretty obvious who would have a better chance of surviving^^ But again, you have to remember that first part of this paragraph as well.

Fierceclaw

Post by Fierceclaw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:41 pm

I think that yeah, it would have a really hard time and may, may, not make it. But i also think there is a chance.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Fierceclaw wrote:I think that yeah, it would have a really hard time and may, may, not make it. But i also think there is a chance.
Please do not repeat answers.