wolf+coyote=pack?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Bright-Heart
Pup
Pup

wolf+coyote=pack?

Post by Bright-Heart » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:11 pm

its kind of a wierd question but i'm writing a book and was wondering:
both wolves and coyotes pair for life, so if a wolf and coyote paired would they stick together and create a pack?
Thank you Illnor! You are aWsOmE!
- Yes, I am a lefty, and yes, I do LOVE quadracorns.

★☆The Pack of Silver Stars ★☆
♥♠♦♣♥♠♦♣ Poker Pack ♥♠♦♣♥♠♦♣

Chemuhk
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: wolf+coyote=pack?

Post by Chemuhk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Yes. From what I can find, while coyotes normally stay as individuals, the wolf in the hybrid pup's genes will cause them to stay together and create a pack. Most likely, no other wolves will join the pack, but for the most part, yes, a pack would be created. Theoretically, the coywolves (as they are called) would survive on their own, but they would most likely stay together as a pack.
För allting börja nånstans när ja tappar balansen,
Woah,
Det klart det blir så när man dansar
nära kanten.

Tarbtano
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Tarbtano » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:30 am

I think what you are asking is if a coyote and wolf can form a mated pair for life, and thus afterwards a pack. The simple answer is no, they do not and will not. Wolves for one usually do not form life-bonds. Mated pairs can stick together for years, but unlike coyotes they do not typically mate for life, and polygamy is much more common in wolves the coyotes.

You also must remember that wolves frequently kill coyotes on sight. All known cases of a coyote and wolf mating is when the wolf is the wolf is a male and targets a female coyote after either smelling her in heat. The female coyote basically has no choice in the matter, and would be terrorfied out of her mind when the wolf caught up to her. Assuming that she doesn't get away (she would try), what would next follow is one of the extraordinarily few times I would use this term for the animal world. paperclip.

After which, the wolf leaves her; or worse; the urge to kill coyotes may kick in and he'll kill her. All cases of Coywolves being born can only occur if the now impregnated coyote manages to

A. Get away from the wolf
or
B. Survive without a partner to care for her

There are no cases of male coyotes crossing with female wolves in the wild, as coyotes do their best to always steer clear of wolves. Genetic analysis of the Y chromosome from first generation Coywolves found in the North Eastern US/Canada show the father was a wolf and the mother was a coyote
"Let me tell you this; Dinosaurs were in no way, shape; or form inferior to your wolves."
-Prof. Reverend Robert T. Bakker

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Tarbtano wrote:There are no cases of male coyotes crossing with female wolves in the wild,
It's still possible that a male coyote breeds with a female wolf.
. . . female wolves and male coyotes are more closely matched in size, and thus may also be likely to mate. . .

. . . published information on known wolf-coyote hybridization involved a female wolf and a male coyote (Kolenosky 1971; Schmitz and Kolenosky 1985a). - Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation, page 235, David L. Mech and Luigi Boitani
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Tarbtano
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Tarbtano » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Blightwolf wrote:
. . . female wolves and male coyotes are more closely matched in size, and thus may also be likely to mate. . .

. . . published information on known wolf-coyote hybridization involved a female wolf and a male coyote (Kolenosky 1971; Schmitz and Kolenosky 1985a). - Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation, page 235, David L. Mech and Luigi Boitani
I stand corrected :P
Does the information say if this hybrid was captive bred or wild born?

However I would like to point out all accounts of wild coyote-wolf breeding I know of is with a male wolf and a female coyote. While female wolves and male coyotes may be more similar in size, it is to my knowledge that female wolves almost always reject even smaller male wolves as mates, much less an animal they normally kill, even in areas with the larger Eastern Coyote

[Grey wolves will attack, kill or drive out coyotes if they find them, but recent studies by John and Mary Theberge suggest that Algonquin wolf males mate coyote females when fewer female wolves are around. John Theberge states that, because coyotes are smaller than wolves, that female wolves would be much less likely to accept a smaller mate.]

As such, many more wild Coywolves would have a lupine father and a coyote mother.
"Let me tell you this; Dinosaurs were in no way, shape; or form inferior to your wolves."

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Tarbtano wrote:
Blightwolf wrote:

I stand corrected :P
Does the information say if this hybrid was captive bred or wild born?

However I would like to point out all accounts of wild coyote-wolf breeding I know of is with a male wolf and a female coyote. While female wolves and male coyotes may be more similar in size, it is to my knowledge that female wolves almost always reject even smaller male wolves as mates, much less an animal they normally kill, even in areas with the larger Eastern Coyote

[Grey wolves will attack, kill or drive out coyotes if they find them, but recent studies by John and Mary Theberge suggest that Algonquin wolf males mate coyote females when fewer female wolves are around. John Theberge states that, because coyotes are smaller than wolves, that female wolves would be much less likely to accept a smaller mate.]

As such, many more wild Coywolves would have a lupine father and a coyote mother.
Nope, didn't see any mention whether the hybrid was a captive or wild specimen.

And true, most coywolves have a wolf as a sire, and not a coyote. I just wanted to add that though it's more common/likely that a male wolf mates with a female coyote, there is still the possibility of a male coyote mating with a female wolf.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Tarbtano
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Tarbtano » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:33 pm

here here my friend :)
and thank you for the information, I'll do some more digging and hopefully find out if that hybrid was captive bred or not.

Well, I think this question has been about as thoroughly answered as possible.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:39 pm

And since it was answered, I'll go ahead and lock this. Thanks you two! If you have anything else to add, just PM me to unlock this thread.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Return to “Wolf Q&A”