wolf growth

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Bright-Heart
Pup
Pup

wolf growth

Post by Bright-Heart » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Hello!
I am writing a story and need to know the hieght/appearance of a wolf at certian ages. I've tried surfing the web and google image, but they have not been any help. can anyone direct me to a chart or something that shows the growth of a wolf by month?
Thank you Illnor! You are aWsOmE!
- Yes, I am a lefty, and yes, I do LOVE quadracorns.

★☆The Pack of Silver Stars ★☆
♥♠♦♣♥♠♦♣ Poker Pack ♥♠♦♣♥♠♦♣

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Re: wolf growth

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:21 am

Well I haven't found a chart but I have found a website that provides some information on the growth of a young wolf into an adult. Not only does it explain weight and size, it also includes characteristics that are surfacing. ^^
>> http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/ ... opment.asp
Neonatal Period - from birth to the age of eye opening 12 - 14 days

Birth - Born approximately one pound, blind, deaf, darkly furred, small ears, rounded heads, "pugged" nose, little if any sense of smell; they are unable to control own body temperature, motor capacities limited to a slow crawl, mainly with front legs and to sucking and licking; possess a good sense of balance, of taste, and of touch, can whine and yelp; nursing pups feed four or five times a day for periods of three to five minutes and on average females will gain 2.6 lbs. and males 3.3 lbs. per week for the next fourteen weeks. This time is known as the "period of maximal growth."

Transition Period - from eye opening until about 20 - 24 days

2 weeks - Eyes open and are blue at 11-15 days, but vision is poor and they are not able to perceive forms until weeks later; milk incisors present (15 days) and can start eating small pieces of meat regurgitated by adults; begin to stand, walk, growl, and chew; first high-pitched attempts at howling.

Socialization Period - from 20 - 24 days until about 77 days

3 weeks - Begin appearing outside the den and romping and playing near the entrance; hearing begins (~27 days, ears begin to raise; ~31 days, ears erect but with tips still flopping); canines and premolar teeth present.

4 weeks - Weigh 5-6 lbs.; growth of adult hair around nose and eyes; bodies begin to take on conformation of adults with disproportionately large feet and head; high-pitched howls are gaining strength; mother may go off for hours on end to hunt; dominance and play fighting begin.

5 weeks - Gradual process of weaning begins. Can follow adults up to one mile from den.

8 weeks -Disproportionately large feet and head.

8-10 weeks - Adults abandon den and move pups to rendezvous site; weaning complete, pups can feed on food provided by adults; adult hair becomes apparent on body.

8-16 weeks - Eyes gradually change from blue to yellow-gold.

Juvenile Period - from 12 weeks to sexual maturity

12 weeks - Begin to accompany adults on hunting trips for a short while and return to rendezvous site by themselves.

3.5 months - The "period of rapid growth (14-27 weeks)" begins: the pups will gain approximately 1.3 lbs. per week for the next three months.

4-6 months - Milk teeth replaced; winter pelage becomes apparent.

6 months - Pups begin to accompany adults on hunts; pup appearance nearly indistinguishable from adults.

7 months - The "period of slow growth (27-51 weeks)" begins: the female pups will gain approximately .07 lbs. per week and the male pups will gain approximately .4 lbs. per week; pups begin to travel with pack.

7-8 months - Actively begin hunting.

1 year - Epiphyseal cartilage closes off, marking the end of skeletal growth.

22 months - Sexual maturity.

Hope this helps! ^^ and Goodluck with your book!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Faite
Yearling
Yearling

Re: wolf growth

Post by Faite » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:35 am

As the quote above doesn't say much about the average weight and height of adult wolves... This link and quote (below), I believe, is talking about mature adult gray wolves. I hope it helps! :3 And also, if you go to the source (link), it has more information on wolves which could prove useful now and then.
Source - http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/justki ... _facts.asp
Average length
females: 4.5 to 6 feet (tip of nose to tip of tail)
males: 5 to 6.5 feet

Average height
26 to 32 inches (at the shoulder)

Average weight
females: 60 to 80 pounds
males: 70 to 110 pounds

Average foot size
4 inches wide by 5 inches long
///////When everything seems to shatter,
/////////When everything seems to fall,
//////I only need to hear that you love me,
////.And it'll be like nothing happened at all.

/////The above literary work © me, myself, and I

Return to “Wolf Q&A”