Female Feeding

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Female Feeding

Post by duskypack » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:14 pm

When a male wolf goes hunting and the female stays behind to watch the pups how does the female got her food. Does the male bring chunks of meat for her?
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Female Feeding

Post by Koa » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:41 pm

WQ Coordinator wrote:In real life, both wolves would help hunt and protect, etc., though at this age, the female would typically stay with the pups more and the male would hunt more.
Above, what she means "though at this age," is around the age of six weeks; however, at the age of five weeks, wolf pups can also follow the mother around longer distances. So the mother necessarily isn't confined to the den as much as you think. Regardless -
Successful hunters return with various prey items in their stomachs, from combinations of small mammals and birds to caribou or moose meat (sheep are uncommon prey in the summer). When hunters kill a caribou or moose, they usually come back with sides bulging like a barrel. They also carry carcass portions in their jaws, including fore- or hindquarters, heads, and, in the case of a young calf, the entire animal, testifying to their powerful neck and jaw muscles.
http://www.alaskawolves.org/Blog/EDB32A ... D3854.html
(Wolves, however, will not "drag" entire carcasses of large game.)

I would think the male would assist the female as well during these weeks, or they would temporarily swap "roles" as my first quote mentioned and both would assist in hunting. Now, if the pack still has the offspring of the previous year whom are not old enough to disperse but still old enough to hunt, they would be able to assist the mother as well.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Basically either the male and female switch roles once in a while or the males bring large chunks of meat for the female. I see
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:49 pm

duskypack wrote:Basically either the male and female switch roles once in a while or the males bring large chunks of meat for the female. I see
Yes, that would be correct, especially when the puppies begin to age. Hope that helped. :)

Lexwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Lexwolf » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:46 pm

How about when the pups are very, very young (like newborn to a week old or so), when the mother won't leave or allow other wolves into the den? How would she get food then?
Wolves of the West Lands

Our clan is old as time.
Our history weaves through the decades.
Our leaders are young and strong.
And their story is just begun.

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67979

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:15 pm

Lexwolf wrote:How about when the pups are very, very young (like newborn to a week old or so), when the mother won't leave or allow other wolves into the den? How would she get food then?
It's actually possible for a female wolf to survive on her own with the pups, so with the rest of the pack or the male contributing regardless, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. If a wolf is hungry, even with newborn pups, it's not going to be picky.

Starship
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Starship » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:59 am

In real life. Both of the wolves would go out hunting from time to time. What happens is the male regurgitates food for pups. Why? The pups force this to. Happen

Starship~
Fading..][/color] into the darkness.
I am waiting for your approval of life or death.[/color] What will you choose? Private message Starship
t o s e e i f y o u r w o r t h y t o j o i n [/color]
Thank you,
S T A R S H I P

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am

Starship wrote:In real life. Both of the wolves would go out hunting from time to time. What happens is the male regurgitates food for pups. Why? The pups force this to. Happen

Starship~
Regurgitation is not limited to males. Please read my previous posts.

Kelvin
Pup
Pup

Post by Kelvin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Is it true that other adults in the pack might "babysit" the pups? I ask because I read this in Julie of the Wolves, which is a a work of fiction.
"My home is not a place. It is people, sir."
-Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar

"You can get a lot of things done in dreams."
Brian Jacques

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:31 pm

During the time wolf pups are born, there is an increase in a hormone that makes all the wolves want to care for the pups at the time. The adult members will feed and care for the pups.
Prolactin, a hormone secreted from anterior pituitary lactotrophs, induces both maternal and paternal behavior in a variety of species (Zarrow et al., 1971; Dixson and George, 1982; Bridges et al. 1985; Numan, 1988; Gubernick and Nelson, 1989). Both intact or neutered, male and female Wolves, show a strong circannual prolactin rhythm (Kreeger et al. 1991). Prolactin peaks just prior to summer solstice, coincident with whelping.

All Wolves in a pack, including unrelated members, begin feeding other pack members even before whelping (Fentress and Ryon, 1982). Thus, pups are not required for this behavior. Based on these observations, it was hypothesized that increasing prolactin in spring elicits parental behavior in Wolves (Kreeger et al., 1991). Our observations of den digging by males and by females, in the absence of pregnancy or elevated progesterone or estrogen, support this hypothesis and lead us to further hypothesize that prolaction elicits or mediates den digging in Wolves.

from http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/mamm ... intext.htm
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Return to “Wolf Q&A”