Different Wolf Locations

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

[Scribbles]
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Different Wolf Locations

Post by [Scribbles] » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 pm

Ok, I was looking around the Internet the other day, checking out some wolf pictures and comics and stuff, when a thought occurred to me. It was random but I was curious about it:

Is it possible for wolves, or even wolf packs, to exist in places such as the savannah or coast/island regions? Just curious :3
You don't have a soul.
You are a soul.
You have a body.
~C.S. Lewis

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Different Wolf Locations

Post by Koa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:55 am

.There's different species and subspecies of wolves across the majority of the world, so it is possible for them to subsequently exist in various biomes.
They aren't just limited to North America like most people here think.

The African wolf (Canis lupus lupaster/ Canis lupaster for some) for example, lives in Africa and has been known to occupy shrublands and highlands, and has been sighted near the coastland of Algeria as well. The Ethiopian wolf (Canis simensis) lives in Africa as well, but some still argue about its place as a unique wolf species.

For a complete list of overall population locations, please read this thread and section:
Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions :
What countries are wolves found in, and approximately how many are there?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625

When you look at the various countries that wolves occupy, you'll understand that their range is not limited to a mere temperate forest or boreal forest.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

[Scribbles]
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by [Scribbles] » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:55 am

Alright. Thanks Koa!
You don't have a soul.
You are a soul.
You have a body.
~C.S. Lewis

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:21 am

Koa wrote:The African wolf (Canis lupus lupaster/ Canis lupaster for some) for example, lives in Africa and has been known to occupy shrublands and highlands, and has been sighted near the coastland of Algeria as well. The Ethiopian wolf (Canis simensis) lives in Africa as well, but some still argue about its place as a unique wolf species.
Not to be pedantic, but if you're going to use the Ethiopian wolf as an example of a wolf, then you should also include coyotes and golden jackals too, as they are closer to the gray wolf than the Ethiopian wolf is.

If we are to class the golden jackal as a wolf, then yes, they do live in savannahs and tropical coast regions. Heck, in Turkey they're considered a menace to sea turtle nesting sites.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:54 am

La Striata wrote:
Koa wrote:The African wolf (Canis lupus lupaster/ Canis lupaster for some) for example, lives in Africa and has been known to occupy shrublands and highlands, and has been sighted near the coastland of Algeria as well. The Ethiopian wolf (Canis simensis) lives in Africa as well, but some still argue about its place as a unique wolf species.
Not to be pedantic, but if you're going to use the Ethiopian wolf as an example of a wolf, then you should also include coyotes and golden jackals too, as they are closer to the gray wolf than the Ethiopian wolf is.

If we are to class the golden jackal as a wolf, then yes, they do live in savannahs and tropical coast regions. Heck, in Turkey they're considered a menace to sea turtle nesting sites.

Not at all; I understand your point. But I'm aware of that, which is why I essentially mentioned that there is issue over whether or not they are considered a wolf but didn't outwardly say anything else; this isn't really the thread to get into "what is and isn't a wolf," so I didn't elaborate any further as I did not see it appropriate to the question at hand. Because I had already mentioned the African wolf, I thought a brief word of caution was needed about the Ethiopian wolf (as it also resides in Africa, while I was on the subject) as the thread that I linked to actually
mentions the Ethiopian wolf as a species and has not been updated in a very long time since I was using it as a source for rough population estimates. Does that clarify things for you ?

Perhaps I should been more transparent, but again this thread is not to discuss or really make discussion of what is and isn't a wolf. Thanks though.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”