Length of wolf legs, fur, and neck?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

MistyWolf10101
Pup
Pup

Length of wolf legs, fur, and neck?

Post by MistyWolf10101 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:18 pm

I'm doing a report on wolves for school, and I need to know the length of their legs, fur, and neck. I can't find any information on it anywhere. Can someone please help? Thanks.
Last edited by MistyWolf10101 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.*¨*.¸.*¨ ¸.*¨¨*'.˛ ¨*'.˛.*¨*.

ƸӜƷ

м ι s т y

ƸӜƷ

.*¨*.¨*'.˛¨*'.˛ ¸.*¨¸.*¨.*¨*.

Av/Sig: river6/Emberflare

Nordue

Re: Length of wolf legs, fur, and neck?

Post by Nordue » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:49 pm

• Hi MistyWolf10101,

I am assuming you are talking about a school report. Cool topic! I am going to reference Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:On average, adult wolves measure .... 80–85 cm (32–34 in) in shoulder height.
  • For your purposes, shoulder height is an accurate measure of the length of a wolf's front leg, from paw pads to his shoulder.
Wikipedia wrote:Hair length on the middle of the back is 60–70 mm. Hair length of the guard hairs on the shoulders generally does not exceed 90 mm, but can reach 110–130 mm.
  • The length of a wolf's hairs depends on the location on the body.

As for the neck length, that is harder to find, since the neck is just a grouping of vertebrae. 'Neck length' in wolves is not as important a measurement as perhaps individual vertebra dimensions (might be used to study evolutionary changes over time). What you could do for your report is take the average adult wolf's skull length...
Wikipedia wrote:The skull averages 9–11 inches in length...
  • ...and say it is the neck length too, since if you look at an image of a wolf skeleton in profile, they are about the same length. Check with your teacher first if it is okay to do that though, because that is just an approximation, and not a real measurement.

Here were the sources Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_wolf used to generate that information I quoted here:

1. Mammals of the Soviet Union: https://archive.org/details/mammalsofsov211998gept (for leg and hair length)
    2. Mech, L. David; Boitani, Luigi (2003). Wolves: Behaviour, Ecology and Conservation. (for skull length)

Let me know if that helps you!

MistyWolf10101
Pup
Pup

Post by MistyWolf10101 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks! That helps a lot.
.*¨*.¸.*¨ ¸.*¨¨*'.˛ ¨*'.˛.*¨*.

ƸӜƷ

м ι s т y

ƸӜƷ

.*¨*.¨*'.˛¨*'.˛ ¸.*¨¸.*¨.*¨*.

Av/Sig: river6/Emberflare

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Locking, question has been answered. Thanks Nor!