what are possible eye and fur colors for wolves?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

what are possible eye and fur colors for wolves?

Post by Serperior_123 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:24 pm

What are the possible eye and fur colors for wolves? I'm writing a story for User Writings and I want one of the wolves to have black fur with gray dapple markings, and I don't know if its a thing or not. And I want to put the eye color as a different color then hazel or dark brown but im afraid to, because I'm afraid my story will get locked due to unrealisicness.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: what are possible eye and fur colors for wolves?

Post by Koa » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Serperior_123 wrote:What are the possible eye and fur colors for wolves? I'm writing a story for User Writings and I want one of the wolves to have black fur with gray dapple markings, and I don't know if its a thing or not. And I want to put the eye color as a different color then hazel or dark brown but im afraid to, because I'm afraid my story will get locked due to unrealisicness.
Fur color and eye color will not get your story locked unless it is excessive or present with other things that are also unrealistic.
Both of your questions are answered in Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions.
What are the eye colors of a wolf?

Wolves are born with limpid blue eyes. The color reduces/fades and becomes lighter as the wolves mature and eventually the color of the eyes changes into any shade of amber, yellow, ocher, gold, or brown. Wolves can also have bluish or greenish tints in their eyes, but very rarely an adult wolf has blue or green eyes. Fully-grown wolves with blue or green eyes are not unheard of, but the condition of the eyes is caused by a rare genetic defect, or "glitch", and therefore blue or green-eyed wolves are extremely uncommon.

Pure-blooded wild wolves have not been documented being bi-eyed (heterochromic; having two differently colored eyes). Heterochromia is a common trait in Northern dog breeds and low and midrange wolfdogs, but not in wolves or high-content wolfdogs.

What are the coat colors of a wolf?

All wolves, including the Arctic wolves, which are known for their white coats, are born with a dark fur. The color will change and become more prominent as the wolves grow up. The color of a wolf's coat is often a multicolored mixture of earthly colors such as brown, tan, white, gray and black (in all of their shades and tones), and the coat pattern is cryptic and unbroken. The black color in North American wolves is caused by a recessive gene called melanin (hence the name; ”melanistic wolves”), and it was most likely introduced to the existing wolf population as a result of hybridization with domestic dogs brought from the Old World (Europe).
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625

Wolf Colors, Patterns and Markings:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... oat+colors

In the future, please be sure you use the search feature before posting questions in this forum; common questions, such as ones regarding eye color or fur color, have been answered already.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:21 am

Oh, OK. Thank you.

BTW, I did use the search feature of the forum, but I didn't find anything related to my question.

You are free to lock this now :)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 am

Glad I could help.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”